Preview Round 11: Geelong vs Big Big Sound, Sat 27 May @ 4:35pm at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7th vs 15th, alternatively it's 2-game losing streak versus 3-game losing streak... Lucky for us, sitting 7th & on 2-game losing streak, we get to return home for our third match at KP for the season and one that is much needed after a past couple of weeks

Against Fremantle we were lucky to see the return of the injured duo Henry & Stengle, though we did lose a trio of players to injury. And while it looked like we may have escaped any new additions to the injury list for first time in a while, there is some fan speculation that we may have lost #2 to a leg injury - guessing we'll find out more when the club has a press release announcing a leg amputation or similar 🤪

Needless to say, this is a must win game to get our season back on track, and we have seen positive reports that we may see the return of a few more players off the injury list, including that of our Captain who has been missed in the guts over the past fortnight

One thing of note, the last time GWS lost at KP was way back in 2018 - while we do currently have a 2-game winning streak over them, neither win has been at our home ground, so it's time to reverse the recent results at the ground

Let's start getting players back, rest those who aren't quite 100% and allow those who need to find touch in the VFL the opportunity to do so - all while making up the gap to those in the top 4

Bring on Saturday afternoon

It just can't matter who is available or unavailable for this game. If we don't win, you can surely put a line through contending in 2023.

Just win, Geelong. The scrappiest and most undeserved win in the history of sporting endeavour would still be good enough.

It just can't matter who is available or unavailable for this game. If we don't win, you can surely put a line through contending in 2023.

Just win, Geelong. The scrappiest and most undeserved win in the history of sporting endeavour would still be good enough.
Agree with this. The thread posted last week was a week early.

Agree with this. The thread posted last week was a week early.
Until our loss on the weekend, people could run with the narrative that we were still not any worse off than we were entering Round 10 last year.

The reality now is that we are:

(1) worse off on the W-L ratio;
(2) worse off on available personnel; and
(3) worse off from a performance perspective, from the great majority of the playing group.

In particular, if we are going to keep conceding 100+ points a game (we've already done this four times in 2023, compared with once in the entire 2022 season), we are no chance of being anything this year. So getting some of our defensive mojo back this weekend (albeit on our 'cheat ground') would be a really good step towards being halfway decent again.

Much as I despise using him there at all, I'd be using SDK in tandem with Blitz in the ruck for this game. Gives Ceglar the week off, in anticipation of him needing to front up against the Dogs next weekend. And potentially meeting 'lesser' rucks this week might make the absence of a pure ruck in our own line-up less problematic.

IN: Dangerfield, SDK, Rohan
OUT: Holmes (supposedly), Ceglar, Simpson, Dempsey

SOS to be sub. And Cats to salute by 17.

Until our loss on the weekend, people could run with the narrative that we were still not any worse off than we were entering Round 10 last year.

(3) worse off from a performance perspective, from the great majority of the playing group.

In particular, if we are going to keep conceding 100+ points a game (we've already done this four times in 2023, compared with once in the entire 2022 season), we are no chance of being anything this year. So getting some of our defensive mojo back this weekend (albeit on our 'cheat ground') would be a really good step towards being halfway decent again.

Much as I despise using him there at all, I'd be using SDK in tandem with Blitz in the ruck for this game. Gives Ceglar the week off, in anticipation of him needing to front up against the Dogs next weekend. And potentially meeting 'lesser' rucks this week might make the absence of a pure ruck in our own line-up less problematic.

Agree with your points above. Good to see a not too common balanced perspective on where we currently find ourselves.

The only thing keeping us afloat is the fact that a few other sides around us are dropping games as well. Give it a few weeks and I think there'll be a real logjam from around 4th to 12th (if there's not already). Important that we keep our percentage around where it stands at present - it might be the difference come the end of the year.

Stating the obvious - but we need to get some soldiers back and find a way to scratch out wins against GWS and then throw everything at Bulldogs and find a win. Win the next two and I think top 4 is still a chance. Drop one or both and I think we might struggle at that bottom part of the 8 and find it hard to recover. Whichever way I look at the draw play out from here - I think we'll potentially need to travel interstate for at least one final as I can't see us being in control of where we play thanks to top 2. I'm not giving up hope just yet, but back to back is going to take an almighty effort, and a dose of good fortune from here.

If Danger, SDK and Rohan are back then I think we win this at home. It'll be nice to get kicking boots on for this one and get a big win as GWS has some outs now too.

Mids will get flogged again but having a better forward and defence we should win by 4 goals. Won’t be pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the worry. We have to hope they collectively bounce back as more of their senior team mates return. It is plausible that a mini slump has set in from fatigue or lack of cohesion that could be remedied quickly. But there's no guarantees.

One thing is for certain, even if a handful remain in a form rut - having great players back in the team can still add a few goals and bail you out of some games. And we'd take that at the moment, but will certainly have to be "on" for the Bulldogs game. We just need 4 points and no injuries from this one.

And if we get Rohan and SDK back as well we bolster our line across both ends of the ground too.
SDK will ruck when he comes back IMO

We have got very little out of bringing Ceglar in. Injured a lot, apparently unable to last a game, and finds it hard to backup.

We have got very little out of bringing Ceglar in. Injured a lot, apparently unable to last a game, and finds it hard to backup.

SDK in the ruck leaves me in a cold sweat, but Ceglar is giving little, and I can see the circumstances dictating SDK must ruck as Willo_ suggests.

Blitz looks tired, and definitely needs the help, but bloody hell, with SDK rucking I'll be as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs until we reach the bye.

Then I'll pray for Stanley's return to the ruck, SDK to the backline, and Blitz being refreshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back