Game Day Round 11 - West Coast v Essendon - Optus Stadium, Saturday May 27, 7.40pm AEST (5:40pm local)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round11.jpg

Form Line.jpg

WEST COAST EAGLES

Well then.
I don't use the word "Disaster" often when it comes to clubs outside of my own, but that was an unmitigated disaster.
From the get-go, Hawthorne wanted it more, and the Eagles were utterly destroyed in one of the worst defeats that I can remember witnessing.
This is rock bottom for the Eagles.
They didn't score a single goal after half-time, as the Hawks ran absolute riot over them.
This mauling left the Eagles anchored to the very bottom of the ladder with only one win and a miserable percentage of 55, after the Hawks kicked 11 unanswered goals in the second half last week for their second win of the season.
Sure, the Eagles looked listless, lifeless, and lost, but a large part of this comes down to the huge amount of personnel they are missing out on the field. This got worse with Jamaine Jones being taken from the field in the second quarter with an ankle injury.
On the brighter side for West Coast, Dom Sheed was great with two goals and 30 touches.
Another good thing is that the game only goes for four quarters.
It would have got much worse.

HAWTHORNE HAWKES 22.10 142
def.
WEST COAST EAGLES 4.2 26

BEST: Sheed and anyone in Tassie who stayed to watch that to the end
GOALS: Sheed 2, Jones, Allen

-----------

ESSENDON BOMBERS

HahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKED IN DICKHEADS.
Finally, after 9 years and 13 attempts, we FINALLY got the chocolates against Richmond, all due to a Sam Durham mark in the square and a subsequent goal with 7 seconds left.
Zach Merrett played a true captain's game, finishing with 39 touches and 5 clearances, along with 7 tackles - and won the Yiooken award for best on ground.
Remember when Ridley got concussed a couple of years back and it took him a little while to get back into form? That was a concern for about 5 minutes last week when it was obvious he recovered perfectly and was utterly dominant in defence.
Redman is crucial. He creates so much play off half-back, and we need to make it a priority to sign him up as soon as possible for as long as possible. Get him in the leadership group, buy him a house, give him an entire living room set from Amart, just get him signed on.
See what happens when Shane Edwards retires? He stops pulling worldies out of his arse against Essendon and we finally get the dub.
I love Sam Durham.

ESSENDON BOMBERS 10.11 71
def.
RICHMOND TIGERS 10.10 70

BEST:
Merrett, Redman, Ridley, McGrath, Durham
GOALS: Weideman, Menzie, Durham 2, Davey, Snelling, Menzie, Langford, Stringer

Line Ups.jpg

Round11.jpg

WEST COAST EMERGENCIES: Campbell Chesser, Xavier O'Neill, Zane Trew, Greg Clark
ESSENDON EMERGENCIES: Nick Bryan, Kaine Baldwin, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Alwyn Davey Jnr

WEST COAST OUTS: Campbell Chesser, Xavier O'Neill (Both Omitted), Greg Clark (Sub), Harry Edwards, Jamaine Jones (Both Injured)
WEST COAST INS: Elliot Yeo, Luke Edwards, Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass

ESSENDON OUTS: Alwyn Davey Jnr, Kaine Baldwin (Both Omitted), Massimo D'Ambrosio (Sub), Andrew Phillips (Managed)
ESSENDON INS: Dylan Shiel, Jayden Laverde, Matt Guelfi

-------

Note: At the time of posting, Dylan Shiel is still in the side and hasn't been withdrawn. This will likely happen as a late change an hour before the game.

Sub to be chosen from the emergency list one hour prior to bounce.

Milestones.jpg
Archie 50.jpg

Selection Table.jpg

Poor West Coast are down to the dregs of their list with their massive injury list, but that's not to say there's no quality available. Their backline, which was utterly destroyed last week, has received a huge boost with veteran defenders Shannon Hurn and Tom Barrass returning to the starting lineup. Xavier O'Neill and Campbell Chesser have been dropped after last weeks miserable showing, whilst Harry Edwards and Jamaine Jones have been sent to West Coast's rehab group - which is now requesting a larger oval as the current one is too small. Veteran midfielder Elliot Yeo returns to add some much-needed glass to the centre bounces, and West Coast fans will be hoping that he can get a roll on quickly.

The troops are returning thick and fast for Essendon, with the injury list shrinking by the day. With the unfortunate news during the week that Harry Jones will miss the rest of the year, light at the end of the tunnel showed with reigning Crichton Medalist Peter Wright inching closer to returning within the next few weeks. This week, Dylan Shiel returns after a small knock kept him out of the Dreamtime game, whilst Jayden Laverde replaces Kaine Baldwin at full back. Baldwin could consider himself fairly stiff too, as he hasn't really put a foot wrong in the past couple of weeks. The Prince of Perth himself in Matt Guelfi is back for his first game since his gnarly hamstring injury at the start of the season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be switched out to the sub in a late change, with Nick Bryan returning to the starting lineup for the first time in 2023. With Andrew Phillips in desperate need of a rest, and the West Coast ruck department in shreds, now would be the best time to get him in for a red hot crack.

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 15, 2022
Optus Stadium
24/7/22

WEST COAST EAGLES 16.11 107
def.
ESSENDON BOMBERS 14.13 97

---------

WEST COAST GOALS: Kennedy 5, Cripps, Rioli 3, Darling, Ryan, Waterman
ESSENDON GOALS: Wright 4, Stringer 3, Guelfi, Jones, Martin 2, Perkins

WEST COAST BEST: Kennedy, Rioli, Redden, Cripps, Yeo
ESSENDON BEST: Shiel, Merrett, Redman, Wright, Stringer

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

WEST COAST OUTS: Rioli, Redden, Cripps, Kennedy, Jones, Darling, Ryan
WEST COAST INS: Hunt, Edwards, Sheed, Long, Allen, Ginbey, Foley

ESSENDON OUTS: Wright, Kelly, Jones, D'Ambrosio, Bryan, Ham (Unused sub)
ESSENDON INS: Zerk-Thatcher, McGrath, Weideman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Menzie

The Tip.jpg

Maybe it's the fact that we were absolutely burnt by our beloved Dons in this game last year, but it's screaming danger game. Some good ins for both sides, but West Coast coming off an absolute mauling in front of rabid home fans, demanding a response? That's going to be a hell of a lot of motivation.

Do I think we'll lose? No. But I do think that the Eagles are going to put up way more of a fight in this game. We'll win, and I don't think it will be close in the end, but we'll cop some solid resistance for most of the game.

Essendon by 65.

Last edited by a moderator:

I doubt any of us would be surprised if we lost, it's just what we've got used to over the last 15-20years, good wins followed by s**t losses.

If I gambled I'd have a 5er against us to soften the loss if it happens. But geez if we want to go anywhere or at the seasons end if we miss finals you don't want to be looking back at this game as a loss. You just have to beat the teams that are miles below you. You can't ever improve if you lose these games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I’ve been essingtoned too many times to take this lightly.

Got the same feeling. Kind of expecting a very lacklustre first half from us where West Coast look very much like the 18th team, yet still leads us at the long break. Then, after some moves are made Essendon rallies and take control in "the premiership quarter" ... yet West Coast still run over us in the last quarter with some spud popping up to kick 4 in the quarter, 6 unbelievable turnovers by us and umpiring decisions so bad I write a letter to the editor about it.

This one'll show where we're at more than any other game this year so far.

No slacking off, but we should get it done.

Winning when you're supposed to win is mentally tougher than winning against the odds. Worst that happens is there are "learnings". Fitting that they'd be learned against WCE, given that was Worsfold's mantra when he coached us.

But we should win. Because we are the better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back