Preview Round 11 - Essendon Bombers Vs The West Coast -Saturday May 27th 7:30 at Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but it isn't like Phillips has been kicking goals anyway. Play Draper a bit more forward. Is simply perfect opportunity to see what Bryan can give us. He literally can't do worse than Phillips has been of late.

And I completely disagree that the coaches know any better than any of us here :drunk:
3.2 in the AFL > 0.2 in the VFL...

And it's not just kicking goals, it's forward craft: leading patterns, finding gaps, taking contested marks inside 50, wrestling with opponents if need be and working them under the ball or out of the way.

That's not to say Flip or Draper are great at those things, but they've been serviceable, while Bryan hasn't put any pressure on their spots in this regard.

Bringing Bryan in at the moment would probably mean Draper plays forward for most of the game.

With the 3 Ins, The Eagles side doesn't look so bad- on paper. But quite a few of their bigger names are so far off their peak form it isn't funny and they still have 6-8 players who just aren't at the level, at least at present.
That said, I think the one ruck strategy is still a big risk while we also have only one tall forward . Anything happens to Draper early on we have zero plan B , we are woefully exposed both in the ruck contests and by a complete absence of tall presence forward. And yes neither Williams or Jamieson are much but they both have reach over Weideman who is barely a relief ruck to begin with Appreciate the same thing could be said about having only one tall forward but we have even fewer options there .If they must go with the single ruck, I'd be more comfortable starting with Balders back, Langford forward and doing without one of Snelling, Guelfi or Menzie. You'd at least have the option of swinging Balders forward if anything happened to either Draper or Weed, and presumably the sub is someone who can play back. The emergencies give scope to implement this or a 2 ruck strategy so I'm hoping they see it my way :D

I love that we're all so scarred we're genuinely worried that we are going to lose to the team that just lost to 18th on the ladder by over 100 points. The team we belted in round 1 by 60 points won against this team by 116 points and we're all so emotionally scarred we think we're going to lose

I love that we're all so scarred we're genuinely worried that we are going to lose to the team that just lost to 18th on the ladder by over 100 points. The team we belted in round 1 by 60 points won against this team by 116 points and we're all so emotionally scarred we think we're going to lose
Correct. I'm VERY nervous about this game, and the North game. That's what 20 years of not beating sides you should does to you.

I am not nervous - whether that is because Brad is coaching us or am use to us capitulating when we should win I am not so sure.

Bryan has kicked 0.2 in the five VFL games he's played this year put together. He might be the best ruckman in the VFL but if he can't chop out in the forward line then maybe he isn't the man to fill in for 2MP.
Is that because he lacks forward craft or because he lacks forward time? Doesn't appear he has a genuine #2 running with him at VFL that has allowed him any substantial time to rest forward.

Is that because he lacks forward craft or because he lacks forward time? Doesn't appear he has a genuine #2 running with him at VFL that has allowed him any substantial time to rest forward.
Hence the second part of my post which you edited out of the quote 🤣:

"The coaches would know that better than we do, and in reality the best way for him to develop some of that is probably for him to play forward in the VFL while Flip holds down the VFL ruck (cue hysteria)."

Bryan has kicked 0.2 in the five VFL games he's played this year put together. He might be the best ruckman in the VFL but if he can't chop out in the forward line then maybe he isn't the man to fill in for 2MP.

The coaches would know that better than we do, and in reality the best way for him to develop some of that is probably for him to play forward in the VFL while Flip holds down the VFL ruck (cue hysteria).

I think he can be mainly ruck on limited TOG with Draper the one chopping out from the forward line whilst still taking 40% cbas

Once Wright is back there will hopefully be opportunities for Byran forward and Phillips ruck in the latter half of the VFL season

Or even this week if they both didnt get on the flight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it's not just kicking goals, it's forward craft: leading patterns, finding gaps, taking contested marks inside 50, wrestling with opponents if need be and working them under the ball or out of the way.

That's not to say Flip or Draper are great at those things, but they've been serviceable, while Bryan hasn't put any pressure on their spots in this regard.

Bringing Bryan in at the moment would probably mean Draper plays forward for most of the game.
If you watched VFL you see he plays 90% ruck. And we are a bad VFL team so forwards barely get quality looks. What makes Voss goal tally quite impressive.

Have no doubt he would do better than Phillips in AFL as Phillips can barely move.

If you watched VFL you see he plays 90% ruck. And we are a bad VFL team so forwards barely get quality looks. What makes Voss goal tally quite impressive.

Have no doubt he would do better than Phillips in AFL as Phillips can barely move.
If you’re gonna quote me at least read my post first

Anyone got any stats on how often we lose to 18th on the ladder?
Not exactly but how about this:
2012 R10 Essendon 2nd place,(8-1) 140%; v Melbourne 18th (0-9) 51%. . We go down triggering a 3-11 finish to the season.
That followed by the years of the saga means I'm still paying off my therapists' bills. So yeah , we're scarred- big time.

Hence the second part of my post which you edited out of the quote 🤣:

"The coaches would know that better than we do, and in reality the best way for him to develop some of that is probably for him to play forward in the VFL while Flip holds down the VFL ruck (cue hysteria)."
Not really relevant to my point is it?

Hence not including it.

If you’re gonna quote me at least read my post first
What'd he miss?

You said

He's saying Bryan plays ruck 90% of the time at VFL level so we haven't seen his forward craft. Pointing out Flip's kicked 3 goals is just quoting stats with no context, it's hard for Bryan to do that or 'put pressure on their spots in this regard' if he's not given a chance don't you agree?

And dropping Flip to let Bryan go forward defeats the 2 rucks in the seniors concept.

Not really relevant to my point is it?

Hence not including it.
My answer to your question; “Does he lack forward craft or forward time?”

Is in the part of my post you didn’t quote: “The best way for him to develop that (craft) is probably for him to play forward in the VFL while Flip holds down the ruck”

i.e. he appears to lack both. The former contingent on the latter.

His draft profiles indicate an almost pure ruck, and the VFL player reviews from the coaches also indicate almost pure ruck, though he sometimes goes into defence a bit last year. The club website bills him as a ruck/fwd but I don’t think he’s ever played in the forward part of that dual role.

Could we run a system where Bryan rucks and Draper starts forward. Then we just play a half field game where Bryan never crosses half. Draper to ruck in the front half and Bryan in the back half and acting as a floating defender.

My answer to your question; “Does he lack forward craft or forward time?”

Is in the part of my post you didn’t quote: “The best way for him to develop that (craft) is probably for him to play forward in the VFL while Flip holds down the ruck”

i.e. he appears to lack both. The former contingent on the latter.

His draft profiles indicate an almost pure ruck, and the VFL player reviews from the coaches also indicate almost pure ruck, though he sometimes goes into defence a bit last year. The club website bills him as a ruck/fwd but I don’t think he’s ever played in the forward part of that dual role.
For someone telling others to read posts I'm not entirely convinced you're reading them before replying.

Could we run a system where Bryan rucks and Draper starts forward. Then we just play a half field game where Bryan never crosses half. Draper to ruck in the front half and Bryan in the back half and acting as a floating defender.
A Bryan and Draper ruck combo can work just like Draper and Phillips ruck tandem did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back