Review Round 14, 2022: Footscray Bulldogs v Box Hill Hawks, 25 June 2022, 1.05pm @ Western Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

To Saunders or Box Hill?

I don't think Hawthorn would miss him. Pace or not, he still doesn't offer much.
I reckon he is ok and exactly the type of player we need in the seniors on a wing. Does need to win a fair bit more ball but he is so often in a spot to be used and isn't. I think at senior level that might change.

I reckon he is ok and exactly the type of player we need in the seniors on a wing. Does need to win a fair bit more ball but he is so often in a spot to be used and isn't. I think at senior level that might change.
He made poor decisions all day, he was poor overall and isn't anywhere near it. Some of them were baffling to say the least.

He made poor decisions all day, he was poor overall and isn't anywhere near it. Some of them were baffling to say the least.
That's rubbish. I watched the first half he was fine. One super quick handball that you probably didn't even notice.

Just the first? tbf he was better to start than to finish, was terrible in the 2nd half and very eh and meh in the first.
Not a great day for the team as a whole obviously. Denver always brings plenty when back at Box Hill. Losing Greene made things tougher when BH pushed back into the game in the second half. I thought Callow helped considerably when moved into the ruck for a change up.

As for Saunders - don't know what game you were watching. He was solid in the first half, applying good defensive pressure and always looking dangerous with very limited opportunity given the one way traffic and DOGS midfield dominance. In the second half, with time on the wing, Saunders helped turn the game with speed and work rate. He had more possessions and provided speed, run and carry both ends of the ground. Oppo were unable to lay a hand on him. No drop in defensive effort either. When he gets his chance at the next level Saunders will be used so much more. He gets to good spots and runs great patterns.

Last edited:
Not a great day for the team as a whole obviously. Denver always brings plenty when back at Box Hill. Losing Greene made things tougher when BH pushed back into the game in the second half. I thought Callow helped considerably when moved into the ruck for a change up.

As for Saunders - don't know what game you were watching. He was solid in the first half, applying good defensive pressure and always looking dangerous with very limited opportunity given the one way traffic and DOGS midfield dominance. In the second half, with time on the wing, Saunders helped turn the game with speed and work rate. He had more possessions and provided speed, run and carry both ends of the ground. Oppo were unable to lay a hand on him. No drop in defensive effort either. When he gets his chance at the next level Saunders will be used so much more. He gets to good spots and runs great patterns.
Nah, don't agree. There's no doubt Saunders brings A Grade effort, you could reward him on that but his decision making is poor, though has good strengths and attributes with his workrate, tank, speed. But football wise, don't think he does enough, decision making is one thing but he's not a good kick either and too often it was kicking long.

Nah, don't agree. There's no doubt Saunders brings A Grade effort, you could reward him on that but his decision making is poor, though has good strengths and attributes with his workrate, tank, speed. But football wise, don't think he does enough, decision making is one thing but he's not a good kick either and too often it was kicking long.
High forward role often not a high stat gig. You might want to ask the likes of Jekka, Greene and co how much they appreciate his F50 entry kicks?

small forward role often not a high stat gig. You might want to ask the likes of Jekka, Greene and co how much they appreciate his F50 entry kicks?
Played HF and Wing. Mainly wing.

And if i did they'd say for him to handball it to someone else.

They weren't good, although i don't think anyones were. The only bloke who hit a target inside 50 was Ward.

Alot of the rest were high bombs i50.

Played HF and Wing. Mainly wing.

And if i did they'd say for him to handball it to someone else.

They weren't good, although i don't think anyones were. The only bloke who hit a target inside 50 was Ward.

Alot of the rest were high bombs i50.
clearly you are not across saunders game today or his others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched all of today and have watched most of this year. :)
Mate Saunders providing great defensive pressure and flare and speed. At AFL level he will get used more. His the only player today that looked exciting, not much he can do when the team performed like that… only a footy brain could understand! He’ll be better at the next level, thought he played really well today, despite the minimal inside 50s.
VFL is a inside mid game.
Have a loook a Corey durdin (blues) and Jack ginnivens stats at vfl ahahah

Watched all of today and have watched most of this year. :)
Mate Saunders providing great defensive pressure and flare and speed. At AFL level he will get used more. His the only player today that looked exciting, not much he can do when the team performed like that… only a footy brain could understand! He’ll be better at the next level, thought he played really well today, despite the minimal inside 50s.
Have a loook a Corey durdin (blues) and ginne

Have a loook a Corey durdin (blues) and ginne
VFL is a very congested game i agree.

But Saunders has strengths, like everyone and they're all physical. He's got a good tank, mongrel, defensive pressure and intensity, speed. But he lacks in key departments, his decision making is poor, he's not a great kick, he wasn't good today, he wasn't horrible but he was very meh just like about most of the side today.

He may or may not make it but if he does it'll be as a small forward, not a wing. As you mentioned with Durdin, he could probably be similar to that for us but it'd be as a small forward. It's not that he's bad but he needs to learn and continue to learn the game more, reading the game and making better decisions even if he isn't a great kick.

Only caught patches of the game but from what I saw we were our own worst enemy. So many hack kicks to no one, a lot of running ourselves into trouble and over possessing.

Callow was almost always in the middle when I watched, so hard for him to really develop as a forward when he's being made our ruckman. Feel for the kid a bit but hopefully it helps him develop. His endurance is largely why he gets used so much in the middle I think.

Jeka was attacking some contests and seemed a little more intense in his application than earlier in the year. Would like to see him really find confidence and attack up his aerial work with some ground work.

Good to see Ward and Long back out there and our new ruck made an appearance and showed some glimpses.

Well said mate. Am glad I'm not on my own.

these guys never stop working!... tough day generally for the all, including the inside mids. One of those off days for sure with the dogs looking structured, quicker, and more clean by hand and foot

clearly not watching many games or seen his highlights on the hawks website - plenty of kicks hitting targets actually!
Can you quit with the 'you musn't be watching' crap? I've been to almost every Box Hill game for the last 10 years.

Not everyone who disagrees with you does so because they have a worse knowledge of football.

How did Ward/Finn/Long/DGB go? Lots of discussion on Saunders.
Liked Ward's game, spent a fair bit of time in the middle of the game on the wing which was a poor decision imo.

Used the ball well, found enough of it, really clean and was reading the game well. Should come back asap.

Finn played wing first then went into the middle where he was alot better, got some good clearances and was good in there.

Long wasn't great, had a few good moments but needs more time.

DGB didn't get beat much and took a few intercepts although it wasn't much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back