Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiiw I think Lester has earnt a permanent spot after I was a constant sceptic.

He saved us many times last night in situations most of the others would not have. Based on his agility and defensive strength he's a long way ahead of Dizzy on the form of recent games.
I absolutely agree. I'm a real fan of Lester as well.

Eric Hipwood has been a very easy target for commentators and keyboard warriors for some time. His kicking has been wayward, his marking substandard, he has been criticised for not attacking contests or making poor choices or not defending sufficiently. Some of that was warranted at times but he, like so many tall forwards, especially those who are lighter-framed, needed time to develop.

His efforts to get to and impact contests last night was excellent. He leads hard and to the right spots. He runs up the ground to get involved, he is so much more aware of space than he used to be. He is often putting pressure on even if he can’t make the tackle. It has been some time since he looked lethargic while defending.

He was never ready-made like many other talls who are drafted with the expectation that they eventually will be too tall and too strong for defenders. Hipwood came into the team very slight, very young and very raw partly out of desperation for a tall forward presence, lost an important developmental year to an ACL, has struggled to find a role aligned with his strengths. But more and more he is beginning to play the game to those strengths.

He will perhaps never be a big unit who can dominate a game regularly, but if he keeps going he has the ability to develop for a few more years yet. He plays in an unusual forward line that has no one dominant presence like many other teams, but he is playing his role well and opposition coaches will increasingly have to think about the right match up for him. Slowly, frustratingly so at times, his goal kicking is becoming more consistent.

And yet that crazy woman behind me still insists that he should be dropped every week!
100% this. Eric’s pressure, willingness to get to the contest and work ethic have been consistently improving and impressive if you take the time to watch instead of b*tch.
Great post AFLQLD.

Fletchers goal was incredible. The instinct to instantly play on and take on his man, and then put the jets on and calmly slot it was impressive, especially for a first gamer. I think most young players would have been over awed and went back behind the mark and played it safe. Very excited by him, I think we have got a ripper.
Yes great goal but I thought his one one with Warner (spelling?) on the wing was almost as good showed great poise, strength and balance for a first gamer. And possibly got a good call from the boundary umpire.

Not convinced we are a good side with that game but liked Lester, Robertson and Fletcher.
Lester stays for sure as does Robertson. Few unlucky young ones for Zorko and Suitcases

Fwiiw I think Lester has earnt a permanent spot after I was a constant sceptic.

He saved us many times last night in situations most of the others would not have. Based on his agility and defensive strength he's a long way ahead of Dizzy on the form of recent games.

Had a stinker against the Crows

I'd feel a bit safer with Dizzy given he can stand up and take a first or second key forward while Lester is really relegated to being a third tall

With Payne and Andrews in form though Lester could be a good sidekick

The expression "rigidly inflexible" is a pleonastic expression. My favourite example of a pleonastic expression is "violent brawl".

The adjective adds nothing.

My lawyer son, wife and I love finding these expressions.
Tautology
noun
  1. the saying of the same thing twice over in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g. they arrived one after the other in succession).
    "there was also a lot of tautology: there's no need to say ‘return back to’"

It clearly hurt Fages that Gunston and Rich had to be dropped and the way he spurted out Gardiner's name as one of those missing to a fairly lame question showed that he is loyal to a fault to his older statesmen . So I'm not at all convinced any of them is finished for 2023.

When Payne had a brain fade Fages almost broke down in the box and cupped his head in his hands in a show of raw emotion. We still had the game under control . I think he's put himself under enormous pressure from the various forces that have contrived to come together this year and I hope he's getting the right help.
Fagan appeared more in control of emotions when he coached from the bench.
Most likely feels more in control of the messaging at the interchange bench.
Coaching wise you would get a very different view of how the game is unfolding from those two positions.
I suppose he will have to decide which is better from a coaching point of view.
He could decide to mix them up a bit.

It clearly hurt Fages that Gunston and Rich had to be dropped and the way he spurted out Gardiner's name as one of those missing to a fairly lame question showed that he is loyal to a fault to his older statesmen . So I'm not at all convinced any of them is finished for 2023.

When Payne had a brain fade Fages almost broke down in the box and cupped his head in his hands in a show of raw emotion. We still had the game under control . I think he's put himself under enormous pressure from the various forces that have contrived to come together this year and I hope he's getting the right help.
That's how I watch every Lions game... well the last few anyway :p

Gardiner should not come in for anybody unless there is an injury. His form does not warrant inclusion. If Fagan has decided there is a hierarchy for the third tall spot, he should base it on form and not his personal preferences. Lester keeps playing well in the role, his numbers are among the best two or so in defence and if Fagan has learned anything from the last three weeks it has to be that form trumps pet status. Lester does not DESERVE to be dropped just because Gardiner might be fit.
Don’t get me wrong, I quite like Ryan Lester and what he offers on field but it doesn’t change the fact that -
Barring injury, it won’t be Payne making way for Dizzy when he is fit again.

Yes great goal but I thought his one one with Warner (spelling?) on the wing was almost as good showed great poise, strength and balance for a first gamer. And possibly got a good call from the boundary umpire.
Agreed that one was exciting to watch as well. His lateral movement looks seriously good. Going to be a damaging player.

Not only is the Gardner/Lester issue amongst the least important when it comes to selection, it is also mind-numbingly boring.

I know you're reading this Fages (if not email sent), just drop them both and put me out of my misery pls.

Is that a joke? Lester would have saved us half a dozen times last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does McCarthy need a training block ?

Bailey had a good game last night but we need a more consistent output from him rather than a good game here n there. I would've sent him for a training block too if he had a poor one last night. Not sure whom to drop now to bring both Zorko and McCluggage in.

I want to keep Dev, Fletcher, Fort and Kai somehow. Kai didnt get the goal but was really good in chase n pressure in F50 in the second half.

I'd be keen on them hanging around as well. I just think thats what the coaching panel will do. Unless they drop fort but I don't think they will.

The one thing that I noticed last night - well 2...

We seem to be getting sucked into the contest again... so many of our players are over comitting and leaving opposition players unmanned... it lead to so many breakaways by the Swan's last night. Maybe it's a confidence thing after the last few weeks but we need to stamp that out again.

And our set up at ball ups in the D50 seems so weird - all our players camped goal side, leaving the Swans almost unopposed facing goal. I understand the concept but the balance is way wrong and leaves that first disposal almost pressure free. Need to be smarter with that I think.

One positive thing that stood out to me last night.
When we took a mark that player regularly tried to handball to a Lions player running past and going forward.
Nothing groundbreaking in this type of play, just work rate involved for players around the area.
Breaks up play that could start a handball chain. Or just a kick to a different part of the ground the opposition may not have anticipated.

It is something that should always be in good teams play.
However, this has been missing for quite a few weeks now. Actually, nonexistent in a few games.
Just as important we tried much harder to stop this type of play when the Swans took a mark. Forcing the swans to kick down the line.

We got the 4 points and move onto the Saints game.
Playing again on a Friday night is good for our sponsors.
Hopefully Payne is okay to go next week, and the injury is minor.

One positive thing that stood out to me last night.
When we took a mark that player regularly tried to handball to a Lions player running past and going forward.
Nothing groundbreaking in this type of play, just work rate involved for players around the area.
Breaks up play that could start a handball chain. Or just a kick to a different part of the ground the opposition may not have anticipated.

It is something that should always be in good teams play.
However, this has been missing for quite a few weeks now. Actually, nonexistent in a few games.
Just as important we tried much harder to stop this type of play when the Swans took a mark. Forcing the swans to kick down the line.

We got the 4 points and move onto the Saints game.
Playing again on a Friday night is good for our sponsors.
Hopefully Payne is okay to go next week, and the injury is minor.
Agree we tried to mix it up that way far more often and despite the fact that it didn't usually come off as we hoped sticking to this gamestyle is going to benefit us dramatically if the players around the contest just keep running.

A fit Zorko would help.

What is up with Fagan, does he personally not like Ryan Lester? Watched the presser and Fagan is running through the players who came into the side and talking about their performances. He mentions all of them apart from Lester. At one point he asks out loud, who else came into the team and instead of answering his own question and mentioning Lester, he blanks him. That was very very poor and very very disrespectful. What is Fagan’s problem with Lester?

I think you’re massively reaching. Lester was dropped for a single game after playing since the Freo game. Very different to the other ins who were all playing some of their first games of the season.

Has Jarrod Berry got anything to worry about, I think not but you never know with the tribunal chook lotto?

Agree Hippy had a good game. Our best fwd last two weeks. His marking was better tonight, but I would like to see him take more clean one grab marks.
This is a big ask I know as our delivery into the fwd line, at times, makes this difficult.
My main issue is our kick down the line style needs more contested marks. I understand that at times, like tonight, this is a difficult ask as the ball was being bombed out of the backline in every direction, especially in the second qtr.
It’s an area where we miss McStays abilities and it’s yet to be covered.

I agree overhead marking is 100% not Daniher’s nor Hipwood’s strength. I would’ve probably held the same judgment had Fort and Big O been marking strong since they are much better over their heads but Fort especially saw the ball slip through so many times.

Hipwood was by far the best in the air and he’s was jumping high and into packs. He’s playing to his strengths and trying to take it on the chest but when he can’t he still looks to knock it to the favour of our crumbing players.

I think Fort did that a lot better than Gunston as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has Jarrod Berry got anything to worry about, I think not but you never know with the tribunal chook lotto?

Simple umpiring howler I think

Which was he charged for, dangerous tackle or rough conduct? I heard both yelled out when it happened, like there were two umpires and one said one

thing and the other said something else. Perfect example of different umpiring interpretation of the same incident..

No wonder umpires cop the wrath that they do.....and we moan and groan.

Which was he charged for, dangerous tackle or rough conduct? I heard both yelled out when it happened, like there were two umpires and one said one

thing and the other said something else. Perfect example of different umpiring interpretation of the same incident..

No wonder umpires cop the wrath that they do.....and we moan and groan.

Free kick was dangerous tackle and the report was for rough conduct. In the end they are basically the same. I remember when the dangerous tackles were started to be cracked down upon I was instructed to simply pay it under rough conduct. Obviously since it’s been focused on harder the terminology dangerous tackle has been designated for it as well as the slinging signal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back