Review Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St.Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you.

Let's wait till it happens and we can do a full meltdown.

I don't mind if they win their way back , but you couldn't have either ahead of anyone currently in the team on this season's form.
Correct.

Neale had 29 disposals at 83% efficiency, 15 contested possessions and 5 score involvements to go with 2 tackles. That's a good day out by anyone's standards. I'm pretty sure he was far more effective with his ball use than his direct opponent.
But his direct opponent certainly had a better game in the first half. On ballers get easy votes in my opinion.

Would you give a full back votes who had say four goals kicked on him? What about six goals?

I think you may find Neale and Sinclair will both get Brownlow votes from this game which I cannot agree with but things like this happen all the time. Most will agree with the umpires and put Neale in the best but I like players who beat their opponents.

The question then becomes, who do you drop and seriously, you could not drop a single player in our backline. All are in match winning form. It would be a massive display of double standards if either player went straight in when they were fit, given other players are battling away in the reserves week after week trying to break into the seniors.
Pretty easy for me.
If Rich is back to fitness he replaces Kiddy, Darcy Gardiner needs a solid block of form in the 2’s.
And it’s Gunston for Fort/Lohmann.
And then unfortunately it either Dev or Fletch who will be out for Zorks when available.

We are missing a genuine third tall forward that much is obvious.
When I was at training on Thursday, I though that Gunston in particular looks genuinely committed to getting himself fit and ready for action again.
I don't think I could go through what he dished up this season again , definitely cost us at least one game. He might still have the pride ,like to see whether he still has the body and the legs.

We're functioning better now in my view , maybe just shuffle things around a bit.

Pretty easy for me.
If Rich is back to fitness he replaces Kiddy, Darcy Gardiner needs a solid block of form in the 2’s.
And then unfortunately it either Dev or Fletch who will be out for Zorks when available.
Would you replace Coleman with Rich without Rich gaining touch and demonstrating form in the reserves?

yeah what a mess. First we had to queue to get off platform 9 on arrival because the up escalator and the elevator both out of service. Then they seemed to run all city trains via platform 9 & 10, so put security to prevent too many people getting on the platform. Instead everyone just backs up through the gates onto the concourse!
Awesome with my 79 year old dad who struggles with walking.

Good that we had a solid win or i’d be really grumpy!
Went up southern escalator on 9 and down onto platform 11 .. and then up to concourse.

Certainly annoying for Hurstbridge but temporary. Had time to enjoy win with other supporters.

Pretty easy for me.
I'm a big proponent of the 2 rucks with one resting forward particularly late in games on big grounds.

I wouldn't put Gunston in again under any circumstances unless it's a radically different Gunston.

Dev was given the short straw last night. Not a lot of opportunity. I have doubts on Fletch seeing out the season this year ,just don't know.

The one player we do miss is Zorko.

Hipwood’s game wasn’t just good, it was mature. He made good decisions with and without the ball. He knew when halving the contest was all he needed to do. He found acres of space several times because he understood the Saints’ defensive pattern and picked his time to move. They were clearly thinking they had him covered and are a well drilled defensive unit regardless of individual skill. He actually made them look at each other in confusion a couple of times.

He will have a tougher time next week against the likes of Grimes and Vlaustin. But he is hopefully confident enough now that he can hold even very solid defenders accountable.
Love his long run-up with set shots. Brown-esque.

If only Rayner could nail the easy ones. He snagged a beauty from the boundary and missed two absolute sitters. Could have had the game buried a few times.

Much improved performance in terms of effort and hunger for the contest - albeit our work forward of center can be improved, but we've still got plenty of time to tidy up our mid-forward synergy. Hipwood's effort in particular was fantastic, really mature performance from him. I questioned him early in the year for some of his efforts - I've got no issue saying I'm glad he proved me wrong.

We need to get the ball into the hands of McKenna and Wilmot as often as possible - seems like whenever they touch the ball something good happens. Wilmot's run up the wing was fantastic to see. As his confidence grows I hope we see that sort of dare more often.

Payne and Andrews have to be up there as the best defensive pairing in the competition. Andrews brought his own ball with him and Payne took another huge scalp in Max King. Froggy and Starce were great as well.

We have a back 7 and you have forgotten Darcy Wilmot on both occasions, could potentially be better than the lot of them.
On current form I would have Wilmot starting over Kiddy and if/when Daniel Rich comes back into the team I would have Wilmot over Kiddy in the backline.
I did mention him towards the end of my post. You are 100% correct about Wilmot though, he may well have already gone past Coleman. I rate them both. The amazing thing is that Wilmot is only 19 years old and we are so lucky to watch his career taking off. Hard to believe that he has only played 17 games! How great was his long run down the ‘non broadcast’ side last night! We are so lucky to have such a potential superstar on our list. The other thing I love about Wilmot is that he is a great instinctive footballer.

Pretty easy for me.
Neither Rich, Gardiner or Gunston deserve to be in the current lineup. They are not best 22 or even 30 at the moment. I can only see Zorko in for Kai. I don’t like Fort as sub, maybe Nakia as an impact player.
As the last part of the season approaches, we should think about resting Oscar, Ashcroft, Neale if possible before finals.

I did note in Fages presser that he seemed to have no doubt that Rich and Gunners will be coming back , 'whether they have to play half a game in the reserves or not '

This could get interesting if we keep winning.
Actually I heard a man trying to deflect directly answering the question that the reporter seemed intent on asking more than once. I have my doubts Rich and Gunston have a straight line back at all after the way Fages mentioned it. Saying they would play ressies when others walk straight back in means they will have to be good.

This is why he should have just said he dropped them on form. This story line is just bizarre.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that I've noticed with Ashcroft a bit - If you watch him closely when ever he's in open play he tends to either hesitate or chip kick the ball to another player - and often times not to advantage. He's very hesitant to kick long when he has time and space. There's no doubt in tight and under pressure he relies on instinct but when he has time to think it's almost like he over thinks. It's actually really weird for a player who seems so natural.

As for Charlie - I couldn't fathom why he was playing in front - time and time again the ball went over the pack and he's caught in the middle of it. He was so intent on trying to mark it he's forgotten that when he crumbs it he's at his best. Really strange couple of weeks from him deep forward but his defensive pressure all over the ground is next level.

Bailey and McCarthy baffle me. Right now they're the 2 that I wish would get their act together. Baileys half arsed attempts at tackling make me want to throw things at the TV and for the life of me McCarthy just goes missing for huge parts of the game, and then doesn't make the most of the opportunities he has.

It wasn't a pretty game but I'm glad we stuck it out. We need to win these dirty grunt games to help round us out and build confidence we can win ugly as well as pretty. We seem to be working out the balancing act between all out attack and defense now and the more of these games we win the better we get at it.

Neale had 29 disposals at 83% efficiency, 15 contested possessions and 5 score involvements to go with 2 tackles. That's a good day out by anyone's standards. I'm pretty sure he was far more effective with his ball use than his direct opponent.
Ross Lyons thought Sinclair was the Saints best!

Brownlow votes for all!?

If Eric continues this form he has to be rated one of the best KPFs in the competition, his ball use decision making is elite for a key position player and his set shots are in the same category now, 25 years old and right in the sweet spot of his career, at this rate should have a 50 goal season.

Something that I've noticed with Ashcroft a bit - If you watch him closely when ever he's in open play he tends to either hesitate or chip kick the ball to another player - and often times not to advantage. He's very hesitant to kick long when he has time and space. There's no doubt in tight and under pressure he relies on instinct but when he has time to think it's almost like he over thinks. It's actually really weird for a player who seems so natural.

As for Charlie - I couldn't fathom why he was playing in front - time and time again the ball went over the pack and he's caught in the middle of it. He was so intent on trying to mark it he's forgotten that when he crumbs it he's at his best. Really strange couple of weeks from him deep forward but his defensive pressure all over the ground is next level.

Bailey and McCarthy baffle me. Right now they're the 2 that I wish would get their act together. Baileys half arsed attempts at tackling make me want to throw things at the TV and for the life of me McCarthy just goes missing for huge parts of the game, and then doesn't make the most of the opportunities he has.

It wasn't a pretty game but I'm glad we stuck it out. We need to win these dirty grunt games to help round us out and build confidence we can win ugly as well as pretty. We seem to be working out the balancing act between all out attack and defense now and the more of these games we win the better we get at it.
As a few of our players need to learn, you can't just go missing for huge chunks of the game. I would let Lohman ave McCarthy's spot for a few weeks and not sub him off. He looks like he just needs a few weeks to get the speed of the game.

I did note in Fages presser that he seemed to have no doubt that Rich and Gunners will be coming back , 'whether they have to play half a game in the reserves or not '

This could get interesting if we keep winning.

This is where Fagan loses respect from me. Not that he or anyone else cares about that.

Sure bring them back if their fitness and skills make us a better team.

But they are not playing because they weren't making us a better team. Even they could see that.

This stubborn 'they will be back' is infuriating.

I want the message to be we will play whoever makes the team better, and they will be considered just like all the other players including the young players who are currently busting their butts.

Fagan is far from an idiot - what is the message he is trying to send? That's he is loyal to these players ahead of being loyal to the club (Rich I get but what does the club owe gunston?) That their current form is NOT an indication of their current form? That their past form is always achievable (clearly not).

I just don't get his messaging. Can any of you lot see what this is about?

Also, how sad is it that a senior, loyal player was selected and put in the position where his current deficiencies were so great they got plastered across footy media all week.

That's the club not showing respect. Should never have happened, should have been managed. Geelong and others do this and respect the ability AND the current status of legend players.

As a few of our players need to learn, you can't just go missing for huge chunks of the game. I would let Lohman ave McCarthy's spot for a few weeks and not sub him off. He looks like he just needs a few weeks to get the speed of the game.

Felt sorry for Motty when he when blank and opposition took the mark directly in front of goals.

Bet he will see that footage a time or two this week.

This has a great view of Cams goal.

I love the turn and face the crowd moment. Definitely throwing shade back at the hecklers.

What stands out ATM - the number of times we shut then down within two ball movements of their possession.

Very mature across the ground defence.

Charlie has spent a hell of a lot of time recently in the defending 50. Defensive effort was once his weakness but is now sublime. When he took that mark and ran into the goal I thought the siren was going to beat him. Glad he got a major.

Joe looked a little lethargic.

Hippy had his cranky pants face on before the start - always a good sign for him.

Lachie can twist and turn in weird and wonderful evasive shapes, dunkley surely has an individual record for smothers, and tonight the whole team joined that party.

Dour game. I didn't feel settled till three quarter time.
A number of ATMS at my local bank are often shut down which leads to a couple of involuntary movements from me ;)

Back