Status
Not open for further replies.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
So last weekend was quite fun, wasn’t it? Harley Reid kicked lots of goals for Vic Country. We had a nice weekend off to rest our battered souls. And thankfully, If we wanted reminding of football in 2023 for the average eagles fan, our friends down the road made sure to keep us entertained.

But, my friends, fun just keeps rolling on. Our beloved eagles head to the SCG, a ground where we have had very little fun.

8A47DC6F-00C1-47EF-AAE7-F5E9B0FE51B1.jpeg
There is something about this ground that we have found difficult. Despite it being one Shannon Hurn Kick from goal post to goal post- it has never been a happy hunting ground for us.

Here’s some ground stats for you.

- Our biggest ever score at the ground is 120 points. Our lowest, 48.

- Our highest individual goal scorer was our friend Suma, who kicked 6 in a game in 1993.

- Our highest score we have ever conceded was at the SCG right back in round 16 1987. We lost by 130 points that day 30.21.201 to 10.11.71.
Although they would do it a few times later in the 90’s- It was the first time that Sydney/south Melbourne had hit the double ton in 91 years.

It would seem destined that our 2023 side will break one of those records. However, for this group- our last venture to the ground was a win against the blues in 2021, a match we at the time had no right to win due to our “comprehensive injury list”. So, for many this will hold some happier memories…… of a time when a comprehensive injury list was only a few senior leaders out.

We meet a swans outfit who, let’s face it are struggling in 2023. They have not looked the same side that would have been worthy premiers last year. Lingering issues in the group from the grand final, or did they overachieve in 2022? It seems hard to tell. However, they do have some genuinely good footballers across the park and are not to be treated lightly. They pushed Brisbane for a large portion last week up at the Gabba. Make no mistake their best is very good and they are more than capable.

The teams:

220AFD40-D6AA-4477-A7D7-DCF37817D390.jpeg
10711DB0-6708-4C2E-9E02-89D0DE4B5642.jpeg
Headlining our returns this week- Tom Barrass & Liam Duggan, both handy ins this week to counter the height of the swans forward line. And what a good story in Jack Williams returning from that terrible injury in preseason. Excited to see both him and Hewett this week.

Out goes: Chesser, Trew, O’neill, Foley & Clark

For the swans, some significant ins. Mills, Heeney & McDonald

Out goes fox, stephens & the suspended Wicks.

Thankfully though, Jack Buller is an out- swans have missed a trick there I think given our storyline this year he’d be almost a certainty to kick a bag against us, that club that didn’t want him.

Key Matchups:

Allen vs Rampe
: Allen has been our big shining light this year, and gets the opportunity this week to have a decent midfield giving him hopefully some better supply. He meets a very good defender in Rampe and I am looking forward to seeing him match it against the best of the best.

Hickey vs Williams
Our old ruck vs our New one.
Shapes as an intriguing battle. Hickey should have the experience to give their mids a good look but we are seeing a level of consistency from Bailey that shows he has a bright future. Win the midfield in Sydney and you can score quickly. If we can break even here, we have a chance

Ginbey vs Sheldrick
Two WA young bulls going head to head hopefully. Sheldrick had an excellent game last time around, but our boy is taller & stronger and the kind of boy you take home to visit mum. Win lose or draw this week I hope this is a match up we see for years to come.

The prediction.

After that massacre in Adelaide, it’s very difficult to see us getting anywhere near anyone, let alone the swans at home. But, I remain optimistic that we will put up a much better fight.

Swans by a “scoreboard didn’t reflect the game” 42 points.

Heading up for this one and hoping for a far different viewing from the Adelaide game. Keep it under 50, hopefully make it a game for 2 and a half to 3 quarters. Rather be with them at the start and fall away rather than get smashed and junk it up late

We finally get a smattering of “The Cavalry” back and next thing you know the oppo are bringing in Mills, Heeney and McDonald…

Sydney by 92.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are two MRO's from victory. While the scars of Branders first performance (we were badly under manned that thrashing at the SCG) I get the feeling we are up to the fight.

We finally get a smattering of “The Cavalry” back and next thing you know the oppo are bringing in Mills, Heeney and McDonald…

Sydney by 92.
One cavalryman has turned tail back to the injury list. Chickensh*t!

He looks huge!!!! It was only last year that some Kent put a pic of miles Bergman for comparison at how our young guys are not developing!! Feast your eyes!! Meats back on the menu

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And that's Ginbey guarding him with a new hairdo. Kid is natural beast:

FB_IMG_1687509752560.jpg

Looks like a ruckman!

screenshot_20230623-173433-png.1720163

excited andy samberg GIF

Hunt had to go change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back