Autopsy Round 16 2023 – Melbourne Demons vs GWS Giants, Sunday, July 2, 3.20pm AEST, TIO Traegar Park, NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Another really gutsy performance full of character. You’ve got to love the direction this group is heading in.

I agree.

Last few rounds, week in and week out, this team are serving up some really great footy. Whether on telly or live.

I endeavour to watch as many games on FTA from all teams if I'm home and there's not many teams that make you sit up and watch..

Locally, I've been to a number of games recently at the SCG too and the Swans haven't got me the way Giants do.

So proud of this team, they are really having a crack and playing gutsy footy.

I thought Tom Green was unreal and has really now become our most important and influential mid.

Also thought Kelly, Taylor, Haynes were terrific, young Bedford even allowing for some skill errors has added so much with his chase, O’Halloran needs to be kept, he plays his role and is tough when he needs to be.
The whole team is clearly playing in a defined system and are starting to believe and play with confidence. I thought it was telling Kelly mentioned that in his post match interview, almost alluding to the fact we had nothing under Leon.

If there was one downside for me and I hate being negative after a win like that but Keeffe’s lack of agility or ability to jump makes him a bit of a weak spot. He was pretty good at the tap in the last quarter but his lack of movement will be exposed. The game has probably passed him by.

Callum Brown is some kind of freak. I was a sceptic when he signed and played early but he just has some very unique and special talents. His ceiling is through the roof!

So proud of this team, they are really having a crack and playing gutsy footy.

I thought Tom Green was unreal and has really now become our most important and influential mid.

Also thought Kelly, Taylor, Haynes were terrific, young Bedford even allowing for some skill errors has added so much with his chase, O’Halloran needs to be kept, he plays his role and is tough when he needs to be.

The whole team is clearly playing in a defined system and are starting to believe and play with confidence.

Great summation

The team are really looking like coming into their own.

Really hope we don't have any major changes coming into the next season as this team looks like they're setting themselves up for a great next season.

Been a while! Currently in Valencia and was able to watch most of the second half. Such a good win, probably got lucky with their poor goal kicking but still being able to hold on in those conditions is so good for the teams confidence. Kelly has to keep playing outside, he’s so much more damaging i50 playing outside then he is as an inside mid. Very good chance for 5-1 over our last 6 with Hawks at home next week, if results go our way and we keep performing finals is a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I whole heartedly apologise to XOH. Did not at all see his form this season coming. Wonder if anybody made enquiries last trade period, would of come cheap. Another win to add to the Kingsley list.
XO's form is obvious to anyone. His pressure is great, his goal kicking has been solid all season (seems better from 40 out than 20!). And yeah, we should keep him for sure!

But I also think he's a chaos merchant (good and badd), and his short kicking and handballs can genuinely go anywhere and often just spiral off in random directions. That said, it HAS been improving.

So, why the apparent form? I think it's that in Kingsley's play style and game plan he has a clear role. He is less exposed less often by our super short disposal chains, and he has a clear task. Forward pressure, collect and hand off the loose forward ball. Scrap! Even Kelly referred to XO's ability to play his role in his post match interview yesterday. So it's the clarity, and taking the pressure off him from doing some of the other things.

And boy, you can't take anything away from how much effort the kid gives. It's awesome commitment.

There's something growing here. Bedford's efforts with 2 mins left, Briggs been unbelievable, Buckley is such a good player, Brown has been a revelation. The middle of the list players are improving so much. So much to like.
That has always been out weakness (since weve been good)
Loads of top end talent, loads of very talented kids, not enough mature middle of the road players who do a job . We are building that part of our list nicely

That has always been out weakness (since weve been good)
Loads of top end talent, loads of very talented kids, not enough mature middle of the road players who do a job . We are building that part of our list nicely
Which is the case to hold onto HH, Ash, etc... but can we do it without breaking the bank...

You gotta think that the Giants are now selling the 'if we keep this group together. We will win'. Future is bright but you can't all get all the money. Which is hard when you have guys from the previous generation on all the money. The cycle needs to end at some point.
Josh Kelly is worth it mind you 😉
Keeping Himmel and Ash is huge.

How do we fit Binga and Whitfield in?
Lloyd and Keefe are the only obvious omisions for me. But can we just throw Whitfield on to the wing now....or half forward.
Keefe can come out for Gruz or Derksen. Cadman could come back in I suppose but I wanna give the other two a taste. Both have been lighting up the VFL

In the votes

Another colossal game from midfield beast Tom Green, who’s leading the Giants’ on-ball brigade with aplomb. He finished with 38 disposals, 16 contested possessions and 10 intercepts. Josh Kelly was the match-winner but had a terrific overall game, kicking two goals from 26 disposals, 12 contested possessions, six inside 50s, five clearances and 446m gained. Sam Taylor proved why he’s one of the best defenders in the AFL with a terrific all-round game, with strong support from Jack Buckley and Nick Haynes. Xavier O’Halloran had some crucial moments in the last quarter, while Stephen Coniglio showed terrific workrate all game and Toby Greene set the tone early with two goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back