Autopsy 2023 Round 13 – North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Sunday June 11, 3.20PM AEST, Blundstone Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Bedford is the guy you build club’s around. He gives 100% effort and makes culture better. Sign him for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal ward huge again …. Resign him asap and book in game 300
I love Ward as one of our inaugural Giant and also as one of our inaugural (co) captains. His contract expires in 2024 and we should re-sign him as he’s still playing very well. However, doubt that we will resign him till 2026, which is how long he will take to play 300 games (assuming no injuries, suspension and continued good form etc).

Riccardi had to grab that. So much potential but needs to realise it
Derm the Germ on Foxtel observed that Riccardi drops his left shoulder when running in to kick for goal; this causes him to pull it left. He's experienced enough now to have moved passed 'potential', what you see is what you get. Two goals today plus the recent Geelong game is good, I've generally been critical of him but if he can keep and build on this consistency there is a set spot for him to keep. I hope he succeeds.

I love Ward as one of our inaugural Giant and also as one of our inaugural (co) captains. His contract expires in 2024 and we should re-sign him as he’s still playing very well. However, doubt that we will resign him till 2026, which is how long he will take to play 300 games (assuming no injuries, suspension and continued good form etc).
Ward is contracted this year only and needs just 18 games to 300 ….

Ward is contracted this year only and needs just 18 games to 300 ….
Apologies, you were correct about his contract expiring this year - my bad. I hope his contract gets extended, and given his form have every confidence this will happen. In relation to 300 games, I was only talking about Ward’s 300 games with the Giants, but yes when you count his games with the Bulldogs before joining us, he will make the 300 game personal milestone in 2024.

Toby Bedford is the guy you build club’s around. He gives 100% effort and makes culture better. Sign him for life.

Yep. He is really classy and plays with heart. When he kicks a goal he grabs the jumper and stuff like a foundation player.

The opportunity to be at this club actually seems to mean a lot to him doesn’t it.

Love him. Agree sign him long term now

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great win, but they need to clean up the slow starts.
Always feels like the opposition kicks the first 4 goals and then they are always playing from behind.
Days like today they catch up and overtake, but often they end up falling short by less than the margin lead they gave them at the start

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a great time at the ground today - my first time visiting Blundstone (first ever trip to Tassie in fact). Boys worked hard and looked a class above North most of the game. Watching live, Cal Brown is such a beast of an athlete. Might lack footy smarts at time but think he’s worth persisting with as a forward. Thought Jack struggled a bit but Larkey is a quality forward and can make the best look average. Hopefully Josh, Isaac, Sam and Binga back in the next couple of weeks and we’ll have close to our best team available for the back half of the year.

THE ‘PURPLE PATCH’ LIFTING ROOKIE TO NUMBER ONE GUN

GWS ruckman Kieren Briggs had played just nine games heading into the 2023 season. But he’s now hit a “purple patch” of form that’s lifted him to the AFL’s number one ranked ruckman between rounds 10 and 12. During that same patch of games, Champion Data figures ranked Briggs as the number one clearance ruckman, ranked second for tackles, sixth for disposals and eighth for hit outs to advantage. “His improvement as a player has been astronomical,” commentator Dwayne Russell said.

And that brilliant form rolled on against North Melbourne on Sunday. While veteran Todd Goldstein finished with 21 hit-outs to Briggs’ 20, it was around the ground that the GWS big man did the damage. He racked up eight clearances to Goldstein’s zero and a whopping seven tackles to Goldstein’s zero. Fox Footy’s Dermott Brereton said Briggs’ clearance that ended in a goal to Callum Brown was a moment to savour. “I haven’t seen many players do that to big Goldy at the centre square,” Brereton said. “He clatters in to him at the centre bounce – makes Goldy recoil and gets a soft drop in his lap. Just hacks it forward. That’s a true clearance.”

Brereton labelled Briggs a “beast in the middle” while Russell said it was clear the big man was in a “purple patch of form”. He started the season at a deep three (in GWS’ ruck rankings), and he’s going to finish this season I think well in front,” Gerard Healy said.

THE ‘PURPLE PATCH’ LIFTING ROOKIE TO NUMBER ONE GUN

GWS ruckman Kieren Briggs had played just nine games heading into the 2023 season. But he’s now hit a “purple patch” of form that’s lifted him to the AFL’s number one ranked ruckman between rounds 10 and 12. During that same patch of games, Champion Data figures ranked Briggs as the number one clearance ruckman, ranked second for tackles, sixth for disposals and eighth for hit outs to advantage. “His improvement as a player has been astronomical,” commentator Dwayne Russell said.

And that brilliant form rolled on against North Melbourne on Sunday. While veteran Todd Goldstein finished with 21 hit-outs to Briggs’ 20, it was around the ground that the GWS big man did the damage. He racked up eight clearances to Goldstein’s zero and a whopping seven tackles to Goldstein’s zero. Fox Footy’s Dermott Brereton said Briggs’ clearance that ended in a goal to Callum Brown was a moment to savour. “I haven’t seen many players do that to big Goldy at the centre square,” Brereton said. “He clatters in to him at the centre bounce – makes Goldy recoil and gets a soft drop in his lap. Just hacks it forward. That’s a true clearance.”

Brereton labelled Briggs a “beast in the middle” while Russell said it was clear the big man was in a “purple patch of form”. He started the season at a deep three (in GWS’ ruck rankings), and he’s going to finish this season I think well in front,” Gerard Healy said.

Great work and well deserved recognition for Briggs. And to think that before this season, he was behind Preuss and Flynn

Great work and well deserved recognition for Briggs. And to think that before this season, he was behind Preuss and Flynn
To be fair, we saw the talent in him when we drafted him, and made sure we kept him last year when there were whispers of interest. I think we knew his talent, but with ruckmen it takes time to develop it. Flynn was a couple of years ahead of him in experience, so was given the first opportunity when Preuss didn't come up. We've been searching for that Mummy type of influence on a game since ... well, Mummy. Dawson Simpson, Sam Jacobs, Brayden Preuss were all brought in to try to find that ruck mongrel, but it seems that Briggs is actually the one with it.

Next week will be another test against the Darcy-Jackson combo - if Darcy is back from his hammy. If it's just Briggs vs Jackson, I reckon it will be a great show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back