Review Round 18, 2015 - Geelong vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a big spread of votes ^^^^^^

Probably a sign that quite a few didn't put in today.

Gardiner, who was terrific last year was played injured, like so many this year. Leuenberger, can't be relied on, when will that sink in. And it's correct , Rich and Bewick, are terrified of physical contact and hard work.

It's been happening all year with injuries, like Claye Beams. Clearly has done his knee and Leppitsch sends him down forward for the rest of the game to do it properly. Bringing back Hanley to early, and allowing Tom to play with broken ribs.

There's plenty more but couldn't be bothered as it's just billshit.

I've been critical of this coaching group, but questions have got to be raised of this Danny Daly bloke. Clearance numbers are up on last year, but the quality is the worst I've seen. We don't look to have any idea what's going on at stoppages.

Yeah and tigers have gone backwards without him.

Yep pretty hopeless.

The difference in pressure from richmond last night to us today was so unbelievably noticeable. Just sagged off so much and gave geelong players time to size up heir options and pick their way through us.

I feel so sorry for clarke. The number of times our 'zone' was just pierced through and clarke had to make a decision on who to mark or his man was hit up under no pressure from up field was ridiculous. Walker just the latest average young forward to kick a bag on us largely due to the midfield pressure and defensive system rather than the actual back 6 players.

Rich lack of confidence in his body and refusal to kick through the ball is mystifying after playing basically every game.

Nick maxwell just argued our point for a priority pick (about 5 minutes from end of game). Not sure if he was playing devils advocate but referred to potential support for priority pick on the basis of the struggle to retain talent in brisbane.

Still frustrating to wat h some of the silly things we do in games. Eg, mcstay playing in and hitting the post, Zorko earning the free kick at attacking 50m then giving away the reversal. Amongst others.

How far off the pace did hanley look? Great game from rocky.

Taylor still propped too often rather than trusting to move it forward.

Robinson again tried hard and was physical around the contest.

I've been critical of this coaching group, but questions have got to be raised of this Danny Daly bloke. Clearance numbers are up on last year, but the quality is the worst I've seen. We don't look to have any idea what's going on at stoppages.
Yeah three ruck contests in the first three minutes of the game Leuenberger cleanly won the tap and hit it down the throat of Geelong players. I'm unsure whether that's the ruckman, the guys not setting up properly around him or poor coaching, but it's very frustrating.

Saw video of Luey and his knee. Not looking good at all. We really can't take a break at all. I've never felt so flat about football before. I try to take heart remembering St Kilda being absolutely shite and also remember Richmond but then I think of Melbourne. Christ I hope we don't become like Melbourne.

Saw video of Luey and his knee. Not looking good at all. We really can't take a break at all. I've never felt so flat about football before. I try to take heart remembering St Kilda being absolutely shite and also remember Richmond but then I think of Melbourne. Christ I hope we don't become like Melbourne.

Hard part for us is retaining players. It's going to be a long road back for the Lions unfortunately.

Same again for so many this year. Knee injury, send them back on and try and run it out.. WTF is going on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Didn't see that part. Might sound stupid but what about negligence on the clubs part?

Mate, could not believe it. Full hyper tension on Leuys knee. And sent him back out, off the top of my head that's about the fourth time we have done that this year. To date all have resulted in season ending knee injuries.

Mate, could not believe it. Full hyper tension on Leuys knee. And sent him back out, off the top of my head that's about the fourth time we have done that this year. To date all have resulted in season ending knee injuries.
Lol you don't think the club doctors know better than you??

And week by week our club doctors are looking like the Indian doctor of death. But I think the orders are coming from coaching staff which is the real concern.

Yep pretty hopeless.

Rich lack of confidence in his body and refusal to kick through the ball is mystifying after playing basically every game.

Rich has been doing virtually nothing but Lukey Power dinks and chips for weeks on end.

I'm hard pressed remembering the last time he pulled out one of those booming 65/70 meter bombs that has been his trademark for nearly all of his time with the Lions.

Thinking back on it a bit further, he's really not looked anything like the player he was after he badly rolled an ankle in the GWS game back in Round 10 . I remember that quite clearly because I was at that game. He limped off and I thought that was the end of him for the game and quite possibly for a few weeks. But no. Back he came and finished the game, albeit looking really inconvenienced and not having any impact for the rest of it.

I have little doubt that he's been playing injured ever since. That combined with coming off nearly a whole season recovering from an ACL and I think it's not surprising he looks a shadow of his former self.

Another incident that I remember clearly (also because I was there) was the Melbourne game at the G a couple of weeks ago. He took a mark about 45 out on a slight angle resulting in a set shot. Normally that distance would be a soda for him . Not only did he miss the shot but in having the shot, he clearly ran a long way out to his left to accentuate the "hooking" motion in his leg. Players only ever do this if they are actually worried about getting the distance!.

Daniel Rich concerned about kicking the ball 45 meters???

Normally, it would be a fair and valid question why the hell he is playing if he is carrying an injury/injuries??

But considering the other troops that have fallen like flies, the totally patchwork nature of our side from week to week and the generally parlous state of our list, maybe we just haven't had the luxury of giving him a "rest" like sides do when they are going well and have a relatively healthy list.

i'm prepared to cut Rich some slack for the rest of this season.

Hopefully, he'll do really good pre-season in 2016 and come out firing next year.

Positives - Andrews was outstanding and surely deserves the nomination for rising star this week. Adcock was great up forward and actually showed McStay and Freeman how to demand the ball and lead. Thought Rocky had a good game despite being tagged most of the game. Dawson and Papa did some nice things and Stef and Squizzy as always tried hard. Christensen smashed in but let himself down with poor kicking for goal.

Negatives - Beams is done for the year. Was everything and more for us this year. McStay living up to his name and staying in the goal square and trying to speckies instead of leading at the player with the ball. No doubting he has good hands but he needs to lift his work rate by 50%. Redden really has hit his level. Seems to struggle to make good decisions.

Major negative for me is the game plan. Players really have no idea what it is. The chip kicks that go no where tells you everything about our structure and our lack of ability to run hard or demand the ball.

Back