Preview Round 18 - Melbourne Demons vs Brisbane Lions • Friday 14 July 2023 • 7:50 PM • MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you seeing these "pressure ratings"?
I assume they come from the AFL app under "pressure acts"
You have to click on each player, scroll down to see how many
Lyons 21, Neale 20, McCluggage & Ashcroft 19, Bailey 15, Zorko 13, Dev & Wilmot 12, Cameron 10 being the main ones from last week.

However, they could be listed somewhere else and easier to look at.

I assume they come from the AFL app under "pressure acts"
You have to click on each player, scroll down to see how many
Lyons 21, Neale 20, McCluggage & Ashcroft 19, Bailey 15, Zorko 13, Dev & Wilmot 12, Cameron 10 being the main ones from last week.

However, they could be listed somewhere else and easier to look at.

Dunkley has only had less than 21 pressure acts in 1 game this season (excluding the Richmond game)

Public service announcement re Friday's game: for any of my fellow Mernda or Hurstbridge line travellers, don't hang around celebrating the win for too long after the match. Bus replacement services will be running after 11pm.

I think Lyons has to stay if Dunks is out, and possibly Robertson to sub in case he has a stinker. Though I reckon Fages will back him and put Fort as sub to provide a second ruck late in the game.

Quietly confident on this one, I think it will be a low scoring affair but I think our defence vs their forwards is stronger than their defence vs our forwards - we just have too many routes to goal.

Lions by 18

Based on season and past 6 for and against medians for both clubs I’ve got us saluting by 9pts, 84 to 75 (match score 159).

Want to see lots of them in our forward half. Coaches know how important team defence and pressure acts are.
And that brings us to our concerns with Lyons. When the ball is in a contested situation at stoppage, no issue. Apart from his tendency to handball more than kick, which indicates an inability to drive the legs out of congestion... Something Neale has worked incredibly hard at since he arrived at the club. But let's look past this... Crawl before we walk.

It's what happens when the ball leaves the stoppage situation and we don't have it. He just can't, or doesn't, chase. On-ball pressure I'm okay with. Team defence: massive problem, and it's actually exacerbated by the fact that he's replaced Dunkley in the team, who has really led the way in that regard.

Don't get me wrong, if he's selected I'll be very happy for him to prove me completely wrong on Friday night. But on what we've seen, even before his injury issues last year, I'd much prefer to see Dev Rob in that defensive midfield role. Because he absolutely does chase back when we lose the ball.

Dunks not playing

Daylight

Dirt

The earth's core

Dunks chance of playing

Ffs there is nothing deeper than the earths core. Haven’t you seen the popular 2003 film The Core where the science behind the core is explained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we expect Lyons to be a like for like Dunks replacement then we are deluding ourselves. However if Lyons does retain his spot in the team it would be with an adjusted strategy and different metric requirements placed on Lyons.

The closest like for like for Dunks is Sharp. I noted that Sharp basically played the Dunkley role in the reserves vs Northern Bullants on the weekend and absolutely dominated.

Without Oliver, isn’t petracca their only real burst player out of the middle?
Viney is either rocks or diamonds.
I don’t necessarily think we need Bez to play a full game in the middle like he has done previously.

Wonder what our match ups down back look like... Payne to Brown... Andrews to Gawn/Grundy... Starce to Petracca... McKenna on Pickett?

I know petracca played a lot more forward last week but I highly doubt that’ll happen against us. Supply out of the middle will be more of an issue for them against us and without Oliver, Petracca is their premo mid.

Wonder what our match ups down back look like... Payne to Brown... Andrews to Gawn/Grundy... Starce to Petracca... McKenna on Pickett?
I like all of them, I also think Wilmot could do a job on Kossie. Their inside midfield is pretty one dimensional without Oliver(inj) and Petracca in there, if he goes into the mid rotation put Berry on him.

Their wingers have elite running capacity so we need to have guys on the wing who can go with them, could be Berry if he isn't required for a job on Petracca... I wonder if Harry Sharp could be under consideration this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back