Preview Round 18, Richmond vs Hawthorn @ MCG - Fri 31 Jul 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn appear to be at the height of their powers. I really enjoy watching them play because they are a precise and confident side that will tear any team apart if they are switched on. However, they are due for a loss. We do match up well on the Hawks, and I think there will be a sting in the tail of the Tigers after they gifted Freo the win last week. Again, we will need to be super accurate to be competitive. Our biggest problem will be converting the forward entries and containing Rioli. He alone can turn a game on it's head in minutes. I have faith our back six can contain the Hawks forwardline. This is where we can told Hawthorn's firepower. But we need to kick a score over 100 points.

I hope Hampson is fit, as his tapwork since returning has been first class. Vickery is a huge inclusion, at the expense of Griffiths. Griffiths is far too soft against an unsociable Hawthorn backline. I'd rather have an untried McBean who would his replacement.

I enter this game much like the Swans game at the SCG. More a faint hope and not much expectation of taking the four points. But somehow we did it. The days of getting blown away by great sides like hawthorn are in the past. Kick straight, and we can match it with this great Hawthorn side.

It was only three weeks ago when Collingwood almost beat this mob. I think we're a chance.
Good point.

It's that ancient saying that dates all the way back to the time of Pharaohs "a week is a long time in football. " Given that Hawthorn have demonstrated big wins for multiple weeks everyone is getting carried away with the perception that the Hawks have always been this good and will always be the greatest. The thing about sports is that anything can happen. Our team can win this. It won't be a fluke either.

The Hawks are certainly beatable. Look at their form before the last 3 weeks and it really isn't as good as people think.
Collingwood dominated them and only lost because of poor goal kicking.

The Hawks are certainly beatable. Look at their form before the last 3 weeks and it really isn't as good as people think.

Our form certainly was not as good as it is now but up to the Collingwood game we had lost a total of 4 games by 24 points and had an average winning margin of 54 points, hardly a team struggling for form, in all the games we lost we had more scoring shots.

We have won 51 quarters for the year with the next best being West Coast some 6 or 7 behind, poor quarters and poor goal kicking within games has cost us big time, we should have beaten both Sydney and Essendon earlier in the year and be on top of the ladder as we speak.

The biggest difference in the last few weeks has been our efficiency going forward and in front of goals.

Not saying we are not beatable and Richmond worry me to an extent thinking back to the clashes in 2012 and 2013 but we are a different beast again now and to be honest even though the ladder does not suggest it we have been fairly dominant all year other than 2-3 sloppy quarters.

Collingwood dominated them and only lost because of poor goal kicking.

Not true, we threatened to break that game open on more than one occasion particualrly in the second quarter but lacked the polish with have since found in the last few weeks, Collingwood did have the better of it in the 2nd quarter but a lot of their shots were rushed snaps or kicks in general play from tight angles.

To say Collingwood dominated us is just wrong.

Our form certainly was not as good as it is now but up to the Collingwood game we had lost a total of 4 games by 24 points and had an average winning margin of 54 points, hardly a team struggling for form, in all the games we lost we had more scoring shots.

We have won 51 quarters for the year with the next best being West Coast some 6 or 7 behind, poor quarters and poor goal kicking within games has cost us big time, we should have beaten both Sydney and Essendon earlier in the year and be on top of the ladder as we speak.

The biggest difference in the last few weeks has been our efficiency going forward and in front of goals.

Not saying we are not beatable and Richmond worry me to an extent thinking back to the clashes in 2012 and 2013 but we are a different beast again now and to be honest even though the ladder does not suggest it we have been fairly dominant all year other than 2-3 sloppy quarters.

May as well hand you the cup then

Congrats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because that is what I said is it?

I'm just saying that people who believe we were struggling early are mistaken, we weren't as dominant as we have been the last 3 weeks but our form was fine.

Pretty much what you said actually

Yes you are easily flag favourites right now, and you may even belt us on friday night. But, ive had several people (most of them hate richmond) tell me they believe we are the only team who can challenge hawthorn somewhat at the moment. I tend to agree with that sentiment. Back in both the 2012 and 2013 games we were complete underdogs, and we still troubled you. Last year cant really be looked at because you were full strength and we had Rance, Maric, Miles, Vickery, Batchelor all not playing who have been huge contributers this season.

We will be without Edwards which is a huge loss, but overall we are in a much stronger position than we were when we played last season.

Pretty much what you said actually

Yes you are easily flag favourites right now, and you may even belt us on friday night. But, ive had several people (most of them hate richmond) tell me they believe we are the only team who can challenge hawthorn somewhat at the moment. I tend to agree with that sentiment. Back in both the 2012 and 2013 games we were complete underdogs, and we still troubled you. Last year cant really be looked at because you were full strength and we had Rance, Maric, Miles, Vickery, Batchelor all not playing who have been huge contributers this season.

We will be without Edwards which is a huge loss, but overall we are in a much stronger position than we were when we played last season.

So you are putting words in my mouth now are you, I said nothing of the sort, I simply said that those that think we have been struggling for form are mistaken, when have a closer look at it we have actually been as dominant as we have been in previous years if not more so, a % of 170 suggests that.

I never said Richmond could not beat us, I did in fact say that Friday night does concern me to a extent because of 2012 and 2013.

However,

In 2012 we were only just going when we played you and in fact that was the loss that sparked us into action for the rest of the season, also you forget that we were too reliant on Franklin in 2012 & players such as Bruest, Gunston, Sheils, Hill, Smith were no where near the level of players that they are now, we also didn't have Lake or Frawley at that stage.

2013 you got us no doubt, one of the worst games I can remember us playing for sometime other than maybe North Melbourne last year, but that is now nearly 24 months ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if you did beat us on Friday but at the same time you would have to play to your absolute best and we would have to be significantly down on our form of previous weeks.

We have scored 517 more points than you this season and conceded 110 fewer points, this stat backs up my previous comment.

Reading Hawks thread we may aswell not show up as we are no chance and it'll be a repeat of the Carltoon game

I remember a couple of years ago one Hawks poster wanted Richmond posters reported for trolling because they said Richmond would win. Apparently it was insulting and offensive to their club to even suggest we were a chance of victory

I see things haven't changed

I remember a couple of years ago one Hawks poster wanted Richmond posters reported for trolling because they said Richmond would win. Apparently it was insulting and offensive to their club to even suggest we were a chance of victory

I see things haven't changed
Remember the hawforn dude that started a thread on the main board about the grog squad after the hawks lost to us in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back