Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you guys might need a bit of a pick me up before the weekend as most of you seem down about the team.

A Cold wintery day down at Bungil Bagora / Waverley. Bringing back old memories a relatively short session today.

Rehab
Wingard: Did some slow jogging laps and then went back inside early.
Jeka: Running 200m slow jogs then some kick to kick.
Lewis: No Show today probably upstairs
Scrimshaw: Came out late did his own warm up joined in the skills but didn't take part in the 10 minutes short intra

Day was in full training as was Ramsden who was also pretty sore on Wednesday.

The boys did their normal warm up except for Scrimshaw who came down late. No bandages or strapping.
Once they finished their warmup, they did a bit of goal kicking and then broke out into two groups one group did one on one tackling with one person tackling the other with the ball. The other group worked on some handballing contested drill work.

They then went with the full ground kicking drill breaking into three groups where players transition the ball from end-to-end finishing with a player on the lead at one end of the ground.

We then had three groups split up. One doing center bounce clearances the other focusing on stoppages 4 on 4 to clear the area while the other tried to stop them. Drills had a fair bit of intensity to them. The third group was the forward v backs and mids where the ball is kicked in the backs defend and then try to make their way out of defensive 50.

This was then followed by a 10-minute intra where large parts of the intra were controlled by Sam and what he wanted us to concentrate on. Dimman was back with the defenders, but it was Ramsden who was everywhere seems to have grown in confidence and took a towering mark over Dimma and Blank. Sam stopped the play several times during the intra for us to focus on defending the transition. I could hear him yell at the players run at him, chase him, pressure guys. It has been the focus as you might imagine this week.

Our focus during preseason has been transition we have been shithouse for the last 4 or so years getting that connection between the backs mids and defenders so i can understand we spent a lot of time focusing on that in preseason. It's not until you play an opponent for real that you find let's say current issues in the way we play. Some of it to do with a lack of defensive intent.

After the intra they focused on tackling and stoppage drills again like I mentioned prior to the intra and finished off with some goal kicking. The main thing was there was plenty talk, plenty of noise, plenty of enthusiasm out there. The boys haven't given up they know they can do better so let's back them in. I want them to beat Sydney.

Till next time Go you mighty hawkers.

I thought you guys might need a bit of a pick me up before the weekend as most of you seem down about the team.

A Cold wintery day down at Bungil Bagora / Waverley. Bringing back old memories a relatively short session today.

Rehab
Scrimshaw: Came out late did his own warm up joined in the skills but didn't take part in the 10 minutes short intra

The boys did their normal warm up except for Scrimshaw who came down late. No bandages or strapping.
Once they finished their warmup, they did a bit of goal kicking and then broke out into two groups one group did one on one tackling with one person tackling the other with the ball. The other group worked on some handballing contested drill work.

They then went with the full ground kicking drill breaking into three groups where players transition the ball from end-to-end finishing with a player on the lead at one end of the ground.

We then had three groups split up. One doing center bounce clearances the other focusing on stoppages 4 on 4 to clear the area while the other tried to stop them. Drills had a fair bit of intensity to them. The third group was the forward v backs and mids where the ball is kicked in the backs defend and then try to make their way out of defensive 50.

This was then followed by a 10-minute intra where large parts of the intra were controlled by Sam and what he wanted us to concentrate on. Dimman was back with the defenders, but it was Ramsden who was everywhere seems to have grown in confidence and took a towering mark over Dimma and Blank. Sam stopped the play several times during the intra for us to focus on defending the transition. I could hear him yell at the players run at him, chase him, pressure guys. It has been the focus as you might imagine this week.

Our focus during preseason has been transition we have been shithouse for the last 4 or so years getting that connection between the backs mids and defenders so i can understand we spent a lot of time focusing on that in preseason. It's not until you play an opponent for real that you find let's say current issues in the way we play. Some of it to do with a lack of defensive intent.

After the intra they focused on tackling and stoppage drills again like I mentioned prior to the intra and finished off with some goal kicking. The main thing was there was plenty talk, plenty of noise, plenty of enthusiasm out there. The boys haven't given up they know they can do better so let's back them in. I want them to beat Sydney.

You're full of surprises TFP.

Rehab

Great work as usual. Who are your Ins for Sunday?

Yet Reeves has shown something which you deny

A small sample size of 11 games, where he averaged 1.5 mark and 7.9 touches isn't great, and that's removing the Geelong game where he was injured early. This is the year for him to prove it, just like every other quality ruck had already done or were about to do, and he's off to an uninspiring start.

He can win taps and is a nice set shot on goal. I've said that many times, though I know it's unlike you to actually pay attention to what's being discussed, so I'll explain again my current concerns - mobility, versatility, physical presence and his ability to have an impact around the ground.

There are no top rucks in the league that are just pure tap ruckman, all of them bring something else to the table. Reeves best chance is to become a good AFL level ruck is to a viable option up forward, the main issue there is his competitiveness in marking contests.

I'm under no illusions that he's going to turn into a ruck that throws his body around, gets touches/clearances. But he could become a Hale-like resting ruck if he can improve his marking and competitiveness in marking contests.

I've said this several times. But unsurprisingly you've missing the point and typically gone with the nuffy catch cry of being a hater.

Last edited:
A small sample size of 11 games, where he averaged 1.5 mark and 7.9 touches isn't great, and that's removing the Geelong game where he was injured early. This is the year for him to prove it, just like every other quality ruck had already done or were about to do, and he's off to an uninspiring start.

He can win taps and is a nice set shot on goal. I've said that many times, though I know it's unlike you to actually pay attention to what's being discussed, so I'll explain again my current concerns - mobility, versatility, physical presence and his ability to have an impact around the ground.

There are no top rucks in the league that are just pure tap ruckman, all of them bring something else to the table. Reeves best chance is to become a good AFL level ruck is to a viable option up forward, the main issue there is his competitiveness in marking contests.

I'm under no illusions that he's going to turn into a ruck that throws his body around, gets touches/clearances. But he could become a Hale-like resting ruck if he can improve his marking and competitiveness in marking contests.

I've said this several times. But unsurprisingly you've missing the point and typically with the nuffy catch cry of being a hater.
Is he really so far off of sandi at the same age (based on last season)? Sandi had played almost 60 games by this point compared to 18 for reeves. Wasn’t until 2009/2010 that Sandi became dominant. Was worth persisting with for sure though. Sandi is the most relevant point of comparison for mine and while reeves may not peak to the same height I’m sure he could be a very good tap ruck and be dangerous match up in forward fifty.
1679625825975.png

Butler and Brockman seem like the most likely inclusions to me. Even when we were playing well through the early parts of last round it was clear we were lacking for pace in

Is he really so far off of sandi at the same age (based on last season)? Sandi had played almost 60 games by this point compared to 18 for reeves. Wasn’t until 2009/2010 that Sandi became dominant. Was worth persisting with for sure though. Sandi is the most relevant point of comparison for mine and while reeves may not peak to the same height I’m sure he could be a very good tap ruck and be dangerous match up in forward fifty.
View attachment 1637892

Reeves is currently way off Sandilands in one of the most critical key metrics for any ruckman - marks 1.4 v 4.6. Fair differential in disposals as well. With his tenure he really needs to get his marking average up to at least 3 as a minimum

Rehab

Any updates on Harry Morrison?

Are the boys confidence up and about?

Last week would have stung a bit.

Or are we setting ourselves for next week ?

I still think Reeves has sufficient upside to persevere with. But he couldn’t play too many games like the weekend before you look to give Lynch a chance. To be fair, not many players in the side would be be safe for long if they repeated last weekend’s effort a couple more times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rehab

Thanks for the report.

Noting the comments on Mitchell yelling on players where to be Do you think we erred in not keeping shiels around to be a quasi on-field coach (at afl or vfl)? Brissie got a heap having hodge directing traffic - and assume shiels is helping Clarko.

We just lost structure etc so often in round 1 - someone directing traffic around the midfield could have been useful as our midfield group is really very inexperienced (and likely focused on own games rather than set ups / structure).

Call me mad but I actually think we are a chance in this game. I know there is no logic to this but it's a guy feel. No Buddy helps a bit. Just feel there's no pressure or expectation and we might catch them off guard. Still worried about where the goals come from but I don't think it will be a high scoring affair that always gives you a chance

Thanks for the report.

Noting the comments on Mitchell yelling on players where to be Do you think we erred in not keeping shiels around to be a quasi on-field coach (at afl or vfl)? Brissie got a heap having hodge directing traffic - and assume shiels is helping Clarko.

We just lost structure etc so often in round 1 - someone directing traffic around the midfield could have been useful as our midfield group is really very inexperienced (and likely focused on own games rather than set ups / structure).
I don't think so. The fact of the matter is we are a young side still trying to implement the game plan be it offensively or defensively. We have focused a lot on transition over the last few years and we are set up more aggressively. Besides we do have Morrison who can fill that role. Last week was about focus and intent. Simple things like manning the mark aggressively, communication as a team defensively etc... Shiels or anyone can't be everywhere on the field it was defensive breakdown across the whole team

Call me mad but I actually think we are a chance in this game. I know there is no logic to this but it's a guy feel. No Buddy helps a bit. Just feel there's no pressure or expectation and we might catch them off guard. Still worried about where the goals come from but I don't think it will be a high scoring affair that always gives you a chance
Thats the spirit the players certainly think they are a chance

I still think Reeves has sufficient upside to persevere with. But he couldn’t play too many games like the weekend before you look to give Lynch a chance. To be fair, not many players in the side would be be safe for long if they repeated last weekend’s effort a couple more times

I agree. I think he is working his way back with confidence as well. Early in the druggies game he was rucking like Ceglar where he wouldn't leap at all but I noticed he was getting more into it later in the game so I am still bullish.

So we have no one in ATM. Nash into the 22 and sub not picked.
Actually like it. Give them a chance to redeem themselves. If it is as bad as last week, I'm sure there will be multiple changes for the North game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back