Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be the lack of a proper VFL game last week played a factor in team selection
Nup.

The VFL practice match against Essendon would have been no different to a regular game for the AFL listers.

They treat VFL games as practice matches anyhow. Measured time, blokes with a niggle get benched, players pulled out early if there’s a senior player in doubt, etc.

Don't particularly mind seeing limited changes; give the group a chance to atone for last week

We saw some very good football across the board for about a quarter last week, so hopefully we see a similar level, but for a longer period of time on Sunday. Natural improvement and confidence in the way we want to go about our footy will be the key takeaways for me

Happy with minimal change to the squad but, but, let's not get too excited about our players and coaches giving the ' Stoic' stance after one poor loss!! That could easily become a habit , turn into what the likes of tigers, north , blues were back in our threepeat era. Playing on emotion or just to save your arse for a week .!! Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'm just sensing that with this group ATM.

Happy with minimal change to the squad but, but, let's not get too excited about our players and coaches giving the ' Stoic' stance after one poor loss!! That could easily become a habit , turn into what the likes of tigers, north , blues were back in our threepeat era. Playing on emotion or just to save your arse for a week .!! Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'm just sensing that with this group ATM.

Yeah words mean nothing after a performance like that, they need to show us a response instead.

Scrimshaw, DGB and Brockman all need to be in this side.
They so don't. Not right now. To get them in you are looking at taking out Frost Impey and Wingard - three of our most experienced players. The team would be like the first year giants or suns teams. That's only going to lead to multiple 100 point losses and talk of sacking the coach. The current set up is the best for the development of the better kids like Ward McKenzie Newcombe and McDonald - their development is our priority right now

They so don't. Not right now. To get them in you are looking at taking out Frost Impey and Wingard - three of our most experienced players. The team would be like the first year giants or suns teams. That's only going to lead to multiple 100 point losses and talk of sacking the coach. The current set up is the best for the development of the better kids like Ward McKenzie Newcombe and McDonald - their development is our priority right now
No you take out bramble for scrimshaw DGB for kosi brockman for Greene and butler for maginness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to trust the coaches, but I'm really surprised Bulter and/or Brockman aren't in the 22. No idea were the forward half pressure is coming from. Especially after last week.

On paper, that's as bad a forward line as you'll see from any team this year.
Brockman had a quiet game last week - 5 Possessions, doesn't deserve a call up.

Butler kicked 2 and was lively so a bit of a surprise.

But we don't really know if the Forward line is a shambles yet as the group played so poorly further up the field. Let's see how it unfolds in the next week or two.

Scrimshaw, DGB and Brockman all need to be in this side.
No. The coach said himself that he will not be gifting players games this year to the younger players - they need to earn selection on merit which I agree with 100%

DGB and Brockman need to tick all the boxes at VFL level before they get a game. Brockman needs to do a lot more than 5 possessions in a game before he is considered for selection. DGB has a few things he needs to sort out before he gets a gig. Not sure what’s going on with Scrimshaw - carrying an injury, loss of confidence maybe both?

Nice one.

Talking the talk, better walk the walk

Go Hawks.
CMac was very passionate about how the players were hurting after the performance last week and how they want to bring the effort that they need.

Interestingly, he spoke about Sam Mitchell being more brutal in his coaching this year and wanting to bring a more brutal edge to the team, similar to the 08 team. Fascinating to see how they react and respond tomorrow, especially in a game where many aren't expecting much

No you take out bramble for scrimshaw DGB for kosi brockman for Greene and butler for maginness.
Really? Maginness out? He's locking down the opponents best mid - take him out and they run free. DGB (who I really really like btw) is a defender so not sure why you'd bring him in for someone playing forward. Again I love Brocky but for Greene? A small forward for a mid sized forward - maybe Brocky gets the sub vest with Wingard out. We need to think proper development not "let's just play every kid we have on the list for the hell of it"

Hardwick has to stay fwd. We can cover him down back, it will open up a spot for DGB/Scrim. Also with Day, i'm not sure he's suited to the midfield, at least not yet. Part of me just wants us to lock Day and Scrimshaw in as our HBFs for the next decade. That's their best positions.
OUT- Kosi, Maginness, Wingard (prob injured), Frost
IN - Butler, Brockman, DGB, Scrimshaw
Hardwick an absolute must up forward....Check out his junior record 56 goals from 16 games Also check out his one quarter up forward last week 2 goals and a great pass to Punky for another . Also a mark just over the point line for another near goal
I cannot believe how Scrimshaw is not playing ...put him in place of Hardwick down Back
Also Reeves needs more time at Box Hill.....bring in Lynch
not sure about Bramble either

No. The coach said himself that he will not be gifting players games this year to the younger players - they need to earn selection on merit which I agree with 100%

DGB and Brockman need to tick all the boxes at VFL level before they get a game. Brockman needs to do a lot more than 5 possessions in a game before he is considered for selection. DGB has a few things he needs to sort out before he gets a gig. Not sure what’s going on with Scrimshaw - carrying an injury, loss of confidence maybe both?

Brockton hasn't played competitive footy for a full year, he needs time to warm up and get some touch, but he'll be back in sooner rather than later. But based on his game last week and the coach's comments after it, he could arguably come in to apply pressure, since he did that really well. 5 touches obviously not up to his normal standard though, but he's blowing out the cobwebs at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back