Review Round 2 Giants vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

My Boys....

Curtly Hampton - Far more Good Curtly than WTF Curtly today. Excellent dash off half back. More like that please.

Josh Hunt - Perhaps the most underwhelming 200th milestone game in recent memory. Need to do better Josh.

Jacob Townsend - Was good early. Kicked a sneaky little goal. Had his head ripped off (with no free). Was at the bottom of most packs. Got subbed off - not sure why unless there's an injury there. Certainly wasn't on form or for any particular incident.

Josh Kelly - WOW, just wow. Do I like this kid. Certain starter next week. Rising Star calculations later in the year. Poise and footy smarts.

Mark Whiley - DNP

What I liked most from this game - other than seeing the debut of Kelly, wow, just wow - was that the commentators didn't write us off and genuinely didn't know who was going to win. That's a rarity.

We're still not quite there yet. We need to learn to keep our heads when the game is in the balance and the other team is also playing like there's no tomorrow.

And thanks again Buddy for going to Sydney. Mummy is such a vital addition to our playing ranks.

Speaking of which... Greene. :(

That boy..... Rapidly becoming more frustrating to watch than WTF.

Greene's disposal efficiency has to improve or he shouldn't be in the 22. He wasn't the only one today, BUT this is something we keep seeing week in, week out. Yes, I rated him last week, but this week was tear the hair out.

The big difference between Toby and WTF is that Curtly has brain explosions. Toby just kicks too long, too short, too wide or to opposition.

Kelly was awesome, will be interesting to see how he can run out a game as a starter.

Hampton was more good than bad for sure, hope he keeps giving that dash.

Hampton is certainly all balance and skill, and if you were just judging him on this year's performances, you wouldn't be overly concerned about his decision making.

Umpiring was bad for both sides, wouldn't say it won us the game or lost you the game though. I think at the end of the day we managed to come back, then in the forth our defenders really put pressure in your forward 50. That's why you missed those shots.

Some of the good things GWS did late was, despite letting the saints back in it, you didn't put your head down like you would have twelve months ago, you came straight back at us. Kelly, jeez that guy scared me! I was hoping we could put a saints jumper on him after I saw him use the ball a few times!

At the end of the day I think the result was what most expected (putting aside the small group of heavily bias fans on both sides), close game with a close result. Good luck for the rest of the season. :)

Greene looked great in his first year in and under, but since we've shifted him out as Treloar and Shiel and Coniglio moved in he really had become a liability. We really need to shift him back in - plenty of players make a career of being at the bottom of a pack with bad foot skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really enjoyed the game. Kelly was what I thought he would be - all class.

Getting games into Plowman, Haynes and Frost is great as they are the future.

Giles keeps Boyd at bay a bit longer.

Patton - I will put his performance down to fitness and u get games like that from young talls

Addison won't keep WHE or Lamb out for much longer.

Good game guys. Was super impressed with Hampton, he is in everything and love how he backs himself and took the Saints players on time and time again.

And Kelly, he is going to be a champion. Melbourne will long regret trading with you and not taking Kelly themselves. For a first game sub, coming on late in the game, with its intense pressure, hard tackling and his team mates obviously feeling the pressure of the situation, he had poise, silky skills and sensational decision making. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Good luck for the season

Isn't it amazing how in just 12 months our expectations have risen to the stage where we fully expect to win games like this :)

We probably lacked the cool head under pressure, and experience to get us over the line. Despite the saints being young too, they still had Dempsyer, Gwilt, Lenny, Riewoldt, Montagna etc - players who've played in huge games and can ride the momentum roller coaster a bit better than we did.

When Hampton realises how good he could actually be, I think we could have an absolute premier player on our hands. His decision making will improve and with that, the confidence to run and take the game on.

Agree with everyone re Greene; 4 or 5 could easily go past him this year unless he cleans up his disposal and decision making.

I though Addison was quite good. Linked up well, few good bumps/shepards/blocks which don't get you ultimate footy points but helps the team.

Mumford is a beast. Absolutely awesome today!

Nick Riewoldt; Jesus. He's obviously well respected and spoke of highly, but the last 2 years, in a struggling side, could be 2 of his best ever. How much more does he have to do before we start actually saying he could be one of the best key forwards of all time? He's not Wayne Carey, but Jesus he isn't too far off and would lead the next rung surely?

Disappointed in result but not the way we played. Cameron seems to be Instilling confidence and expectation in these guys. It's brilliant

Really enjoy watching you guys this year.

My impressions were it was another small step in the right direction. Win the week before when you were under dogs is one thing , in this game there was a higher degree of expectation. Hence shots missed by talented players.

The senior players were quieter this week , but so to were Cameron and Patton...yet you should still have won.
Its all about baby steps for Giants and you are making progress. I still wonder how you fit Boyd and an so many other talented players in.

Isn't it amazing how in just 12 months our expectations have risen to the stage where we fully expect to win games like this :)

We probably lacked the cool head under pressure, and experience to get us over the line. Despite the saints being young too, they still had Dempsyer, Gwilt, Lenny, Riewoldt, Montagna etc - players who've played in huge games and can ride the momentum roller coaster a bit better than we did.

When Hampton realises how good he could actually be, I think we could have an absolute premier player on our hands. His decision making will improve and with that, the confidence to run and take the game on.

Agree with everyone re Greene; 4 or 5 could easily go past him this year unless he cleans up his disposal and decision making.

I though Addison was quite good. Linked up well, few good bumps/shepards/blocks which don't get you ultimate footy points but helps the team.

Mumford is a beast. Absolutely awesome today!

Nick Riewoldt; Jesus. He's obviously well respected and spoke of highly, but the last 2 years, in a struggling side, could be 2 of his best ever. How much more does he have to do before we start actually saying he could be one of the best key forwards of all time? He's not Wayne Carey, but Jesus he isn't too far off and would lead the next rung surely?

Disappointed in result but not the way we played. Cameron seems to be Instilling confidence and expectation in these guys. It's brilliant

You're right , he is getting a big up in his rep playing in a side that is hard pressed. A bit like Ablett in the GC side. The only thing that he really hasn't done is win a flag. Will not happen now , and seeing him still work how he is the definition of leadership.

To be fair I see similar traits in Ward. He is playing to a very high leadership level.

Really enjoy watching you guys this year.

My impressions were it was another small step in the right direction. Win the week before when you were under dogs is one thing , in this game there was a higher degree of expectation. Hence shots missed by talented players.

The senior players were quieter this week , but so to were Cameron and Patton...yet you should still have won.
Its all about baby steps for Giants and you are making progress. I still wonder how you fit Boyd and an so many other talented players in.

Boyd replaces Giles.

Lamb replaces Addison.

Tomlinson replaces Hunt.

Shiel replaces Greene.

ok,we blew it.
no excuses we blew it.
but i noticed some good things come out in the game.
i think the FD and players realised as soon as the siren sounded,they players looked at each other with disbelieving eyes and heads bowed at times with the unmistakeable look of horror,we blew it.
and thats part of learning to win and take your chances,we missed so many chances maybe not seen on telly,but at the game these were huge chances and they went begging.
it may turn out to be a good result as the video replays the players will see,will remind them of chances that were simply not taken.
this has to be a good thing as it makes every person on the list remember how much you need to concentrate for the whole game.
for those who watched on telly,there were players in top position downfield when we had control of the footy and it was not delivered at all,allowing saint players to block up gaps or even worse our player in control of the footy not taking the chance to use it to our advantage.once the turnover happened we had blokes in the middle of nowhere and it was impossible for them to cover.
on one hand i was so disappointed and was also happy that a bad lesson was learnt{we hope}.

FWIW I think the outs of Davis and Shiel were the difference; no way does Roo take that many marks with Davis as his main opponent and the stoppages were close but I think Shiel would have been huge for you guys. Good luck for the rest of the year.

It's a combination of our 2 best KPD in mohr and Davis being out and shiel was a huge factor in wagga. Add greenes disposal horrors and hunts output and u get what went wrong. Was hoping this season would've been like East Dillon lions in their second season. Went from spooners to state champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back