Game Day Round 3, 2023 - Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This game from same time last year is keeping me awake. Dogs 0-2, facing very similar questions to what they are now. Swans were 2-0, and honestly the Dogs should have won by a heck of a lot more. In general play it was an absolute slaughter.

Screenshot_20230330_063054_AFL.jpg

This game from same time last year is keeping me awake. Dogs 0-2, facing very similar questions to what they are now. Swans were 2-0, and honestly the Dogs should have won by a heck of a lot more. In general play it was an absolute slaughter.

View attachment 1643875

We need to get up on midfield, we'll be alright.

Duryea is not playing so Charlie would be a good chance to have 4+ goal game. Hasn't had one yet in 2023.

Will be interesting to see if we bring a Positive Mindset and Pressure for 4 quarters in our game tonight. We don't need lack lustre attitudes, no pressure applied similar to the Port slaughter???

Really looking forward to seeing how our backline performs tonight. I expect big things. Plenty of overlap, plenty of run, all players selected seem to have great defensive awareness.

Dogs are gone this year. Probably bottom 4 side.
Yeah before the start of the season you wouldn't be alone if you had thoughts of trepidation regarding our back six.
Players out of form last year and we appeared to lack pace within our talls when defending and lack of offensive ability .
I feel the mix is improved now with wilmot and Payne gaining more experience and the inclusion of Joyce and Mckenna.
Joyce so far has been really impressive, very agile and mobile.
But what is it one game for us he has played.
So exited to see how we go with this set up.
the test will be how they perform when our midfield loses the battle.
I said in the pregame thread " dare I say Colemen comes in for Richie", good prediction ay:p
Big game for Colemen.
Go Lionssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Really looking forward to seeing how our backline performs tonight. I expect big things. Plenty of overlap, plenty of run, all players selected seem to have great defensive awareness.

This is what I am interested in seeing too. We don't really have a game plan that encourages a lot of run from half back, but we also haven't really had a lot of 'run and bounce' defenders either. With McKenna, Wilmot and Coleman, we have three players that can offer that, so it will be interesting to see whether it's utilised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want us to back up the effort last week with another consistent performance. Based on how we played last week relative to the dogs we should get the win, but I'm also expecting the dogs to come out firing.

View attachment 1643875
They are a good team for sure. They can bounce back. But I think we are a better team then them. Swans didn't get going till abit later in the year too.

Changes for this week from what would be called regular 22 from last year.

Outs: Gardiner, Adams, Rich, Answerth

Ins: Joyce, Payne, Rayner, McKenna, Wilmot (playing both wing and half back)

Maybe less on the lockdown/defensive end but more run and dash without doubt.

View attachment 1643875
Always hard playing away & facing a good team (2022) with their backs to the wall
The Dogs have one thing missing from that game and i hope it is telling.

EDIT: I forgot to see if Dunkley actually played in that game before posting, but he did.
31 disposals with 13 contested, 11 tackles, 5 marks, 6 clearances (but only 1 center)

The absence of Dunkley is highlighted by the fact the Western Bulldogs won centre bounce clearance 52.1 per cent of the time he was in attendance last year, the highest rate of any player within the top-100 for centre bounce attendances. This year, at Brisbane, that number is up further to 53.1 per cent for Dunkley. Conversely, none of Dogs' five most used centre bounce players are above 35 per cent in 2023.

Last edited:
danger game
i agree the Dogs have no doubt had a week similar to the Lions after the Port lose, they will come out hard and we have to match that intensity. Lobb (whilst not a super star) concerns me a little, as he may prevent Harris from some intercept marking when Payne is attempting to negate Naughton. I think Joyce can handle JUH and our other backs can contain their small forwards.

As always the mids have to perform and if they play like last week, we should be leading by at least a few goals come three Q time.

Really looking forward to the game, seems to be a good contests between the two clubs recently.

Naughton always seems to get his hands on the ball against us, big match up against him tonight. Their smalls shouldn’t be much of an issue for Starce and the others.

On the other hand, our smalls should be primed for a big game. Crozier, Richard and Dale are very much offensively minded defenders, so one of Charlie, Linc or Bailey to kick a bag.

Their midfield on paper is damaging, and with the recent commentary you’d expect a bounce back tonight. Still think our boys will come out on top in the middle, justifying why Dunkley choose us last year !!!

Always hard playing away & facing a good team (2022) with their backs to the wall
The Dogs have one thing missing from that game and i hope it is telling.

EDIT: I forgot to see if Dunkley actually played in that game before posting, but he did.
31 disposals with 13 contested, 11 tackles, 5 marks, 6 clearances (but only 1 center)

The absence of Dunkley is highlighted by the fact the Western Bulldogs won centre bounce clearance 52.1 per cent of the time he was in attendance last year, the highest rate of any player within the top-100 for centre bounce attendances. This year, at Brisbane, that number is up further to 53.1 per cent for Dunkley. Conversely, none of Dogs' five most used centre bounce players are above 35 per cent in 2023.

The crowd is going to go nuts every time Dunkley touches the ball. So, a lot.

Reckon he is going to get a welcome from his ex team mates. Our boys will be on high alert and I expect a lot of argy bargy, especially in the first quarter.

He could be lifted by the abuse or go into his shell. Hopefully the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back