Prediction Round 3, 2024: Changes vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeo and Gov had massive games on the weekend, hope they pull up ok and are right for the weekend. Minimal changes this week, be good to see Hall get a run though.

In: Maric
Out: Barnett

Pleasing to see that, when we went to Waterman as the ruck, he mixed in a bit of jumping for it and a bit of staying down for a four on the floor approach.

We’re not going to win often with this ruck division, we might neutralise at times, but better to just try a new strategy (like so many teams did with Nic Nat) and mix the non-Bailey minutes up, instead of picking the least bad ruckman seemingly because that’s the done thing.

That or very deliberately pump games into him and know that it will be very rough for a while.

We need more link up and another forward option who can present, so Maric comes in.

Keen to see Jack Williams but not sure at whose expense.
With Oscar out, we can't just experiment with B Williams as a key forward. He is the only fit ruck we have capable of halving contests. He did OK when he went on the ball but was a fish out of water as the key forward. J Williams is young and also needs time but at the moment he is the best option with Maric and Waterman also in the area

Barnett needs a couple of more games before he goes back to the WAFL. Western bulldogs in Melbourne could be a percentage booster for the dogs, lets hope not.

maric for barnett
hall for jones

jones to sub

i want jwilliams in, but i think one of darling or waterman need to come out for that.

Barnett needs a couple of more games before he goes back to the WAFL. Western bulldogs in Melbourne could be a percentage booster for the dogs, lets hope not.
im all for pumping games into the kids. but barnett is still two seasons away from being close to AFL ready. development in the wafl is probably more valuable than what he can currently produce in the top flight.

Yesterday was further proof that Bailey has no idea how to play forward, just let him ruck most of the day supplemented by Jamo, Jake etc. Barnett as you say is probably better off in the WAFL with a game or two occasionally to see where he is at. Ledwards is a bit of a nothing player, not terrible but not adding much either, give Hall a run. Another quiet game from Long and he can find some form in the WAFL as well. Cole was ok when he had Shep and Hurny looking after him but he's lost something in the translation, debatable if we have anyone better atm but we will probably find out shortly.

In defence of Luke Edwards, in traffic he's proving himself our most composed player with ball in hand outside of Harley. And doing pretty well getting his hands on it at all having drawn the short straw playing half forward- where draftee's go to die. Not going to push Yeo, Kelly or Reid out of the middle but should hold his spot until Ryan come back at least. If he and Ginbey swapped roles he'd probably be racking in an extra 10 possessions a game and the pitch forks would be out for the boy.

Whilst Barnett didn't have a great game on the weekend, I believe he will be a much better match up against English, who is not a lump of a lad that can't be moved. English, as you all know, is much more athletic and mobile.

One of Barnett's key attributes from his draft profile was his athleticism, particularly his 6min 32 second 2km time trial. Barnett is more likely to mould his game around an English than a Briggs, so this would be a great opportunity to see first-hand how English, last years All Australian, goes about it.

In my opinion, coming up against English this week, would be worth its wait in gold for Harry. Experiencing both ends of the ruck spectrum in the space of two weeks. Then if he needs a spell, or is ultimately dropped to work on things in the WAFL, it is granted that he has faced some quality rucks and learned plenty.

1711338247241.png

In defence of Luke Edwards, in traffic he's proving himself our most composed player with ball in hand outside of Harley. And doing pretty well getting his hands on it at all having drawn the short straw playing half forward- where draftee's go to die. Not going to push Yeo, Kelly or Reid out of the middle but should hold his spot until Ryan come back at least. If he and Ginbey swapped roles he'd probably be racking in an extra 10 possessions a game and the pitch forks would be out for the boy.

Ledwards is good in traffic. Doesn't seem to win his own ball and can get exposed defensively.

I'm hoping he gets a good run, injury free, to see what he can bring to the table with more confidence. Reminds me a bit of Sheeda tbh.

Luke Edwards appears to be doing the unrewarded defensive wing role that Simpson has forever loved.

Some stats that go unnoticed but seriously surprised me, as I didn't think he had the running capacity for it:
  • 2nd overall for distance covered 14.9km (1st Eagle)
  • 5th overall for distance at speed (18km/h or more) 2.5km (2nd Eagle to Hunt 2.6km)
  • 2nd overall for average speed 9.4km/h (1st Eagle)
  • Equal 2nd overall for repeat sprints (times over 24km/h under 60 seconds) 3 times (Jones first with 4, Cole & Hunt also on 3)
  • 1st overall for average speed in offence 9.3km
  • 4th overall for average speed in defence 9.2km (1st Eagle)

There is a lot of effort there for not a lot for reward (possessions).

If people want him out, the likely replacement is Gaff, as he has a similar running ability.

I would predict (and prefer) Edwards stays.

Luke Edwards appears to be doing the unrewarded defensive wing role that Simpson has forever loved.

Some stats that go unnoticed but seriously surprised me, as I didn't think he had the running capacity for it:
  • 5th overall for distance at speed (18km/h or more) 2.5km (2nd Eagle to Hunt 2.6km)
  • Equal 2nd overall for repeat sprints (times over 24km/h under 60 seconds) 3 times (Jones first with 4, Cole & Hunt also on 3)

If people want him out, the likely replacement is Gaff, as he has a similar running ability.

Great post. Really surprising numbers I think most would assume it'd be Cripps who's doing all that running off half forward.

It won’t be popular but Brady Hough may need a spell - his disposal was really poor - 6 turnovers from his 18 disposals playing the majority of the time off a very busy half back flank, including some that directly cost goals.

Bit of competition for small defenders at the moment - Witherden has paid the price for his sloppy ball use, guys like Hough, Cole and Jones will likely be next up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Gaff
OUT: Ginbey
Awkward Season 1 GIF by Nanalan'

We
It won’t be popular but Brady Hough may need a spell - his disposal was really poor - 6 turnovers from his 18 disposals playing the majority of the time off a very busy half back flank, including some that directly cost goals.

Bit of competition for small defenders at the moment - Witherden has paid the price for his sloppy ball use, guys like Hough, Cole and Jones will likely be next up.

I thought he did really well on Greene and had a few eye catching moments.

If we are going to be dropping blokes for poor ball use I hope we start with Jones before Hough.

Nah, shut Greene down to the point he had no impact in a game he should've dominated

Disposal definitely needs work but he was the least of our problems.

Barring injury I don't really see any changes.
Scoreboard makes it look a lot worse than it was.
Some really good pieces of play undone by one bad disposal resulting in turnover-goal.
WAFL next week for everyone pushing for a spot to prove themselves.
I think the guys sharpen their disposal, particularly on defensive transition, and we go a lot better.
It was our second game for the year against a top 4 team who were playing their 3rd game.
JJ and Barnett get another run and maybe Maric and JD swap starting roles.

Out: Barnett (was always a horrible selection) Edwards

In: Hall and Dewar

Cripps - Darling - Long
Petrucelle - Waterman - Brockman
Hunt - Yeo - Chesser
Duggan - Gov - Jones
Hough - Barrass - Jamieson
Williams - Kelly - Reid
2R- Waterman- Hall - Ginbey
B- Hall - Ginbey - Maric - Cole
Dewar (Sub)

How does this gimp defensive wing position even still exist anymore 🤦‍♂️

Really wish Simpson and the collective coaching group would move away from it already. I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruins a players career that role, but it certainly doesn't help it.

Brander, Marsden, Redden at times, Ledwards and recently Gaff all played some of their worst footy in that role.

Pretty sure I've heard him say it's AFL wide and all the other teams do it, but I've looked and I think he's having a bit of a lend. Our record isn't exactly that great recently, not sure if he's noticed, so maybe time to mix it up a bit.

Whilst Barnett didn't have a great game on the weekend, I believe he will be a much better match up against English, who is not a lump of a lad that can't be moved. English, as you all know, is much more athletic and mobile.

One of Barnett's key attributes from his draft profile was his athleticism, particularly his 6min 32 second 2km time trial. Barnett is more likely to mould his game around an English than a Briggs, so this would be a great opportunity to see first-hand how English, last years All Australian, goes about it.

In my opinion, coming up against English this week, would be worth its wait in gold for Harry. Experiencing both ends of the ruck spectrum in the space of two weeks. Then if he needs a spell, or is ultimately dropped to work on things in the WAFL, it is granted that he has faced some quality rucks and learned plenty.

View attachment 1939091
We know English ain’t a great tap ruckmen but even when Williams was travelling well last season he managed to have 51 hitouts (10 more than williams) and 21 touches. Williams took a few weeks to get into a groove last season. Think we beed to make the call and let Williams set back into that ruck role and find his feet again. Then wait till Flynn’s availability to make a call on his return to the forward line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back