Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish

They are busting their arse, looking to a senior leader to finish there hard work and he does that. Not once but twice within. A few minutes

And then he meandered around

Let’s not get all too protective of our champions who may have gone on too long
I think it's fair to say that none of our three vets are likely to be part of our next contending team. They are here really to set examples and coach the younger players as part of their development. So if it gets to be a case of 'do as I say not as I do' then I suspect it might start to impact morale.

They also got Ollie Henry to go back because he was homesick living in Melbourne ( wonder what the thousands of foreign students studying here thousands of kms from home in an unfamiliar culture and without the biggest sporting club in the country supporting them would make of that.. but that's another matter).

The other extraordinary thing about the cats is the durability of their veterans. Hawkins plays probably 20 games a year for 17 years, and Mitch Lewis, ten years his junior, might play 13 or 14. And when you look at Bruest and Gunners and Wingard compared to the cats older players it's a stark and unflattering comparison! Don't know how they do it!
7-8 seasons ago Hawkins was almost finished, missed games with a constant back complaint and was pretty immobile.
I think people forget that .

Their older players have started missing more games with soft tissue injury and itll only get worse , yes the form is there but we are at round 3 of a long season.

The issue with Ward is he lacks urgency. He takes safe options and he isn’t the hardest when it comes to body work, be it a tackle or using his body in a 50/50 scramble

He had a decent game today and it was probably his best outing this year, but he needs to be quicker with decisions making and moving the ball. He plays wing so you want your winger being in attack mode when he gets it.

Just not sure wing is his position
Ward was not the only one hesitating - Sicily, Impey etc

Our set up forward of the ball was not wonderful

The only real tackle pressure in the F50 is currently Watson and Chol

Opposition are waltzing it out via Breust, Lewis, Ginni and CMac

It is a real concern at present. We aren’t really defending high, and the ball is coming through midfield too easily in transition
How good was Chol’s tackle leading to a goal?

Have seen multiple posters getting stuck into Connor Macdonald after yesterday.

The same Connor averaging 18 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles and a tick under a goal a game playing on the half forward flank?

Putting up great numbers so far.
No doubt. Very hard position to play as a mid, let alone as a 20 year old.

Today will be remembered as that 'Geelong game with that ******* umpiring (scoff, guffaw, guffaw)'

The more 'professional' the umpiring gets, the worse it gets.

It’s just your normal hawks v geelong umpiring. When Selwood recently said he made a career out of the arm lift he also said they consciously played to maximise umpiring. But everyone knows that. Just good to hear the admission

It’s just your normal hawks v geelong umpiring. When Selwood recently said he made a career out of the arm lift he also said they consciously played to maximise umpiring. But everyone knows that. Just good to hear the admission

It was obvious.
I still laugh at the 2008 grand final Al where they expected a free and all ran forward, only for it to be a Hawthorn free, and x.ellis was the only player inside 50

level pegging apart from first quarter, but a game of footy is 4 quarters.

They were bigger and stronger - to me the most obvious difference was the tackling. Our intent and effort was up with theirs but we couldnt hold on or stop a hand pass getting away. They stopped us with theirs.

some of that is technique but it’s mostly maturity.

Don’t know how they (handbaggers) manage to stay up for so long. Their VFL side is average - very few progress unlike BH whom we rely on heavily. We keep waiting for them to fall off the cliff (like we did) and yet they seem to defy footy gravity like the swans. Something is NQR there.

Have seen multiple posters getting stuck into Connor Macdonald after yesterday.

The same Connor averaging 18 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles and a tick under a goal a game playing on the half forward flank?

Putting up great numbers so far.
Fair call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Phillips was poor on the weekend. Probably wouldn't be right to promote him to the senior team based off his performance so far.

Serong would be ahead of him at this stage.
I would definitely go with Serong and move Amon to the wing, get a better defensive effort and need Amon getting the ball inside 50 with skill.

I haven't gone through page after page of this, but aside from a couple of instances i thought Weddle claimed the Cameron scalp and claimed it well. You won't keep Cameron quiet all day, but Weddle won 70%+ of the game and used the ball well, for the most part. He is now four games into his second year and if he can hold down CHB and McCabe can play late and go well then suddenly we are a different team. We still miss a gorilla or two but definite signs.

plus I thought Ginnivan was killed by umpires and would have made game a lot closer if three of the four had been paid as they should have close to goal.

It is a bit of a concern that the Hawks best players this season have mostly been new players - Gini, Chol and D'Ambrosio.

Also, Chris Scott would have been the happiest man at the MCG seeing Weddle stand Cameron. Hawks do not have that many weapons and he would have been thrilled to see one of them taken out of the game.

Last edited:
One rule for Geelong and a different rule for Hawthorn, particularly Ginnivan.

I am so tired of it.

If Geelong or a Geelong player was treated with such disdain, Scott would be making a song and dance about it. About time we did. His treatment was disgusting.

Ginnivan has made his bed now he has to lie in it and stop lifting his shoulder and dropping his knees and it will turn!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ginnivan has made his bed now he has to lie in it and stop lifting his shoulder and dropping his knees and it will turn!

Until the opposition is rewarded for the same action 2 mins later. No it is bull shit and shoud be called out for what it is

I agree to a point, but the umpiring yesterday was soul destroying and simply incorrect. When did Ginnivan drop his knees??

He did both lifting the shoulder and dropping the knee in one of the tackles as soon as he felt contact!
I thought he deserved the free kick at the time but the past does come back to bite you and for now we have to wear it on chin.
We knew this when we recruited him and he has been one of our positives going forward.
Butler needs to come to add some zip and defensive pressure.
Disappointing that the Wizard has probably gone for a while!

you could easily name 20 other small fwds who do exactly the same thing, every time. But because ginni played for the pies on ‘broadway’ and it became a hot topic last year he gets punished for doing what everyone else is doing.

Today will be remembered as that 'Geelong game with that ******* umpiring (scoff, guffaw, guffaw)'

The more 'professional' the umpiring gets, the worse it gets.
Let's make one thing abundantly clear. Australian Rules hasn't had "umpires" for decades. Sure, we call them umpires, but they are in effect "referees". Umpires govern under strict guidelines as documented in the book of laws. That hasn't happened for many years. I see rules broken by the minute in football these days as the men in white go about with their interpretations of the rules, rather than strict adherence to them.

For example, people who have only come along in the past 20 years or less would be shocked to find out there's a rucking infringement in EVERY ruck contest. You are not allowed by law to place your hand on an opposing ruckman. Now they just wrestle each other to the ground.

There's a rule that states you are not allowed to tackle a player above the shoulder. It doesn't say anything about arms being raised, etc, the moment a player is tackled high, it's a free kick. It has me stuffed how a player who, is gathering the ball from ground level and is in the process of standing up and is grabbed high, is not awarded a free kick for a high tackle. It was perfectly okay for Selwood to use the tactic of raising the arm (and I agreed with that), why is it not okay for other players to adopt the same method?

Just back after a wet and windy day.

Houston, we have a problem.

Coaching: I love Sammy, but for the first time, I'm having reservations.

How many times can you persist with poor positioning before it becomes a case of stubborness?

Amon and Weddle are not true defenders. I don't know why SM insists on this experiment...

You know why we won the 2nd quarter?

We actually had a goal-side sweeper who held position and prevented Geelong from breaking out unopposed as they did in the first.

The midfielder held position and forced a stoppage, and we fought our way back.

Q3 - Scott changed it up, and simply instructed the offensive goal-side mid to grapple our sweeper and stop him affecting play.

We were smashed again out of the middle.

Mitchell did nothing - no runner, no 2nd mid as a sweeper - nothing was changed, so nothing did change. We got belted again.

Any chance of telling Lewis to lead AWAY from his man Sam? Nope.

Too many soft Hawks.
Ward and Amon made a couple of pathetic 'attempted' tackles. Ward on 2 occasions didn't go when he had to. Sadly McKenzie (who was good otherwise) did as well for the second week in a row.
The forward pressure was pathetic. Lewis needed subbing at half time and a quicker more defensive player (Hardwick) moving forward.

Sam is slow to react, and it's a worry.

The biggest worry - we have no leaders. No-one to stand up. Sicily is a joke of a Captain, Moore doesn't say boo, and other senior players such as Breust and Impey don't seem to want to organise or lead.

Only Frost (another superb game) and Worpel seemed to give a rats behind.

This is the softest, rudderless Hawthorn outfit I have seen for 20 years.

I'd kill for another Luke Hodge right now.

Only Frost, Worpel, McKenzie, Chol and Scrimmers came away with any real credit - Meek was an improvement on Reeves - the rest ranged from average to poor.

Too many blokes drinking their own bathwater - and it shows.

Honestly, if Sam wants to get the ship back on course - he needs to draw a line through Breust, Impey, Ward, McDonald and Lewis and tell them to go back to box hill and earn their recalls.

Soft and leaderless.
Go and hold something else

Jog on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back