Preview Round 4 Carlton v West Coast Saturday 20th April 7.40pm(est) @ Patersons - Team Post #477

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
wcevblues.png
Head to Head
  • All time - Played 38, Won 19, Lost 19
  • Last 5 - Won 2, Lost 3
Last time we met:
Carlton Only Highlights v West Coast, Round 12, 2012

The Sides [to be edited]

TBA

Round 4, 2013 Match Overview

Both teams have had a less than ideal start to the season, at the time of writing both teams Carlton are 3-0 and West Coast a re 2-1 sitting in the bottom half of the ladder. Both teams are missing key players, including Nic Naitanui and Matthew Kreuzer. Carlton have had a number of close finishes, and importantly have been relatively competitive. West Coast are in a similar position, but have come off a week where they took their frustrations out on a hapless Melbourne outfit at the MCG.

Malthouse continues to try to bring the Blues gameplans around to what he expects, and the signs are there that the Blues are begining to awaken. However, theres no doubt that the Blues would like to get a win on the board rather than end round 3 with ANOTHER honourable loss and a 0-4 start to the season.

Key matchups

The KPP: Jamison and Henderson v Kennedy and Darling

An inform pair against an the West Coast big forwards. Jamison is running into some stellar form having kept Jack Riewoldt and Travis Cloke goalless, while Henderson has also impressed in the first couple of weeks. They will have done well against Pods and Hawkins in Round 3. [to be edited]

The KPP: Hampson and Rowe/Casboult v Glass and Brown

If Hampson can find his round 1 form, I dont think theres anyone in the league who can stop his getting to the ball. He leads well and seems to be able to mark the footy. If he can find his kicking boots, the Blues are in for a good day. Rowe is coming off a 2 goal haul against Geelong. If they can get to the contest then theres a bevy of talented small forwards who can take advantage at ground level. Either way this could be a big win. That said, if he fails to fire, then this is one area the Eagles are going to be superior. Glass is a class act at full back.

The Midfield battle: Judd, Murphy, Carazzo v Kerr, Selwood, Shuey

Judd and Murphy in particular have been in pretty good form without being overly spectacular early in the season and their midfield battles with the Eagles should prove quite fascinating. Carazzo is likely to get the tagging job on one of them, more than likely Kerr. Whoever gets on top here will win the game.

The Rucks: Warnock, Hampson and Rowe (?) v Cox

Cox is a rolls royce of ruckmen and he's going to do well against Carltons fleet of ruck dudes, lead by a returning Warnock and backed by Hampson with Rowe or Casboult chipping in as needed.

The big question: Who gets Lecras?

The smallish forward has done some considerable damage to the Blues in the past, notably in the semi final in 2011. The Blues issues with small forwards came to the fore against Collingwood when Elliot kicked a bag on a variety of opponents. Its the kind of task that usually falls to Aaron Joseph, but whether he has the speed to go with Lecras is another story [note will edit this after seeing how Lecras returns from injury this week)
However for West Coast, the issue is the same but literally two fold, Garlett and Yarran have kicked a fair few goals against good opposition in the last few weeks and it would seem that there may be no way to keep them down - certainly no way to catch them.

Broadcast Information
round2bcast.png

Richmond and Geelong should of blew us away

West Coast will

West Coast are probably the worst team we'll play in the first 5 rounds. I think it's our best chance.

West Coast are probably the worst team we'll play in the first 5 rounds. I think it's our best chance.
Richmond would be the worst. And the Collingwood team we faced was lacking multiple best 22 players. To win we would need some luck but if we use our speed to our advantage on the big ground we are a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't we just mentioning in the previous week's thread that Robbie would only get a run if Kreuze were injured? :(

I just hope Warnock smashes it. I'd really like to see a certain poster eat humble pie about the value of a good palmer. ;)

Out: Lucas, Davies, Kreuz (inj)
in: Warnock, Bell, Laidler/White.

Ellard probably needs another round or 2 in the seconds for match fitness but wouldn't mind him being around. He has the heart to play all 4 qtrs.

Warnocks best chance to gain a spot and hold it. Only way he could lose it is to have Casboult come back in and Rowe gets more ruck time with Hammer as number one. Hopefully he can give us something to look forward to.

Bell has the physicallity we lack in the 4th quarter. Lucas goes out to make way for him in my opinion. Lucas can't tackle and I can't justify him sticking around.

Laidler in for Davies, someone mentioned Davies may be injured? Well easy replacement for a skilled 3rd tall needing to find good form.

Otherwise it would be Simon White who can rotate forward. Having White and Walker rotate is that benefit.

Hopefully no more than 3 changes, we need something to be consistent this year.

If it becomes a battle of the midfield, you will win.

Is Laidler fit yet? We need to bolster our backline but if a player can't run out a full game (see Collingwood game) then he's a liability.

Simon White has a lower ceiling but if he's in form then I'd play him first.

The Richmond Football Club and the Geelong Football club both had opportunities to capitalise on a sizeable lead against us.

The West Coast Eagles Football Club will proceed to build on their inevitable lead and thrash us.
But they didn't, they couldn't pull it off against a highly competitive side. Neither will WCE.

Is Laidler fit yet? We need to bolster our backline but if a player can't run out a full game (see Collingwood game) then he's a liability.

Simon White has a lower ceiling but if he's in form then I'd play him first.
I think White is closer. Laidler played in the forward line for the twos this week... was quite strange to see him down there.

Out: Kreuzer (Thumb); Simpson; Joseph; Davies
In: Warnock; White; Curnow; Bell

B: White - Jamison - Armfield
HB: Scotland - Henderson - Walker
C: Lucas - McLean - Tuohy
HF: Gibbs - Rowe - Robinson
F: Yarran - Hampson - Garlett
R: Warnock - Judd - Murphy
I: Curnow - Carrazzo - Bell
Sub: Buckley

Emergencies: Watson - Laidler - Davies

Four changes is too much, but Kreuzer is injured of course, Davies and Joseph I don't think have a role for next week and have not shown enough. Simpson out is probably madness but I think he needs to regain some form and maybe a week in the twos would help.

Can't risk having Hampson as the lone ruck with support from Rowe. Bring Nockers in, he has earned it, and let Hampson take Glass's attention and give Rowe a chance to beat his opponent 1 on 1. White is a must, I think (unless the MC think Laidler should come in instead). Gives us the flexibility we so desperately needed tonight when Kreuze went down as can take a Darling if Nockers or Hammer go down and let Hendo go forward. Or can go forward himself.

We need grunt and grudge. Stick Curnow on Kerr for the match and make him earn it in the congestion. Give Bell another chance to impose himself, we need that big body in the middle. Tell him if he cleans up whichever niggling Selwood prick will be all over Murphy he will be guaranteed a spot for the next three matches. Stick Tuohy on the wing or the HFF, be accountable to his man but less pressure than the backline - we need the composure down back against WCE.

Armfield to start in the back pocket this match, we need someone to blanket their most damaging small forward (is it Hams at the moment with Le Cras out?), if he is struggling we can always swap him out, but just tell him to stay close and goalside. Showed some composure down there last night a few times in congested situations.

Yarran is listed a forward pocket, but I'd like him to play further up the ground and as a 3rd HFF of sorts and try to clear space deeper in the 50 for the big guys, give Jeffy cleaner opportunities to work around Hammer as well. Buckley had a great game and almost a full one as well, sub again next week for some zippy x-factor in the last quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back