Preview Round 4: Hawks v Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it will be:
Out: Brand
In: Sicily

Langford was terrible but it was his first game so I think he'll get another chance to work into some form.

Duryea made lots of mistakes but got a fair bit of the ball and put himself in the right positions. O'Brien a worry but needs to be left forward for mine to get some confidence and try to recapture what he was starting to put together last year. If Shoe is ready to come back then O'Brien might go I guess because Im not sure who else we could drop. Frawley has to stay to take Hogan, he had a bad game but really can't see him getting dropped given how important he is structurally.

Dees are a potential top 4 side IMO. So we will get another good indicator of where we sit

Will be interesting to see what we do with Hogan . He has been heading into the middle then pushing forward . Imagine Frawley gets him deep

They really like to link up , last year when we were poor we were able to stop that for long enough to get the win . That's a key for us again here

We missed Sicilys marking and rebound last week , having his 46 games AFL experience into the side is a great in for us

Hopefully if we lose this week, but show some good signs, this board doesn’t go into meltdown. Losses aren’t taken to well in these parts.

I said if we were 2-2 after 4 I’d take it. The draw opens up for us after this game. North & StKilda should be comfortable wins and * are the softest bunch of campaigners getting around. We always get up for the Swans. Then Brisbane and West Coast.
Don’t get me wrong, I wanna get the 4 points, but if we show signs of good footy but just get out classed like on Sunday, it’s hardly dire straits. We’ll be a top 6 team by the time the bye rolls around.

Think it will be:
Out: Brand
In: Sicily

Langford was terrible but it was his first game so I think he'll get another chance to work into some form.

Duryea made lots of mistakes but got a fair bit of the ball and put himself in the right positions. O'Brien a worry but needs to be left forward for mine to get some confidence and try to recapture what he was starting to put together last year. If Shoe is ready to come back then O'Brien might go I guess because Im not sure who else we could drop. Frawley has to stay to take Hogan, he had a bad game but really can't see him getting dropped given how important he is structurally.

Yeahmate no

What does Jono have to do? 3 weeks in a row has been dominate, has to play.
Jono?? I'm clearly talking about Lovell numbers, questioning most of the numbers across the board, it seems like three qtr time stats.
Glass got bog with 11.disposals, I don't mind him playing well but these possession numbers seem really low. As for jono, I'm happy, it will be great if he can transfer that form in the seniors.

Jono?? I'm clearly talking about Lovell numbers, questioning most of the numbers across the board, it seems like three qtr time stats.
Glass got bog with 11.disposals, I don't mind him playing well but these possession numbers seem really low. As for jono, I'm happy, it will be great if he can transfer that form in the seniors.

You misunderstood bud

Wasn't the Willi game week one?
As for JOR he needs to prove he has a sound body. Minimum 4 weeks of top line performances at the Hill before he worth the risk imo.

+ 2 practise match, one I think he had 29/30 and the other mid 20s in 50% game time

In: Sicily, Cousins and *Shoemakers.

Out: *O'Brien, Langford and Brand.

* If Shoemakers is fit.

Like Richmond, Melbourne only play one key forward in Hogan. I think we were exposed as too tall down back last week and expect only one of Frawley or Brand will play this week.

I wouldn't be surprised if Langford keeps his spot this week, as it would be unusual to bring him back from injury and drop him after only one game. However, I think Cousins has been smashing the door down and would be tough to overlook. We are clearly very thin through the middle of the ground and need to find out if he can make the grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cousins averaged 13 disposals and 4 tackles across three games last year, but only had an average of 60% TOG.

With another preseason under his belt that number should be able to bump up to 70-80%. I think this means he can be a ~20 possession 6 tackle inside midfielder, which would perfectly complement Mitchell/O'Meara. After his latest BH performance showing he can hit the scoreboard, I reckon he deserves a crack.
Yep needs to play as we don't have many others on the list that can win their own ball

Melbourne play some tall forwards (Frost 194/95, Hogan 195/100) but they’re not great (Hogan beat up young Brissie kids). Smalls are dangerous & they rotate dangerous mids through there.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Burton play on Hogan so as to be near the ball (like Tex Walker last year) but he’s not really in that form. Up the ground would be ok but I reckon he’d struggle if dragged back to the Goal Square, so Frawley to do the job. TO’B to nullify Frost without too much trouble. Sicily will clean up & Stratts is on fire positioning & marking.

FB: Stratton.....Frawley.......Hardwick
HB: Sicily...........TO’B...........Glass
Ce: Shiels.........Impey.........Smitty
Foll: BigBoy......O’Meara......Mitchell
HF: Gunston.....Roughy......Brooster
FF: Brand..........Burton..........Cyril
I/C: Hendo, Howe, Popeye, Morrison

Ins: Sicily, Glass
Outs: Doc, Langers

Stratts, Hardwick & Glass can all cover small forwards & we shouldn’t be against throwing Popeye back there as a rebounding BP at times, especially when Cyril, Impey & Brooster are up front.

Edit: Oh Yeah, long balls into the F50m without a big forward will make Lever look like he’s as good as Sicily. We were screaming out against the 9’ers for a 200cm / 100kg Forward with pace; all the while Brand was playing lost at the other end... Had to send him forward to crunch packs (see: Rance), but as usual, we decided that we were better off without a forward, as if simply kicking long to Rance would somehow pay off, despite not working for 3/4.

Burton as a leading FF / Brand to anchor keep Lever honest & crash packs when the ball is kicked high & landing 30m from goal. Can also ruck when in the front half, allowing BigBoy to cover less distance & set up across Half Forward for the bail-out kick from their defence.

Frost plays back mate (despite being named forward). This allowed Leaver to play as a third tall. I don't think we can play both Frawley and Brand this week. Brand isn't an option forward.

Watched the first half of Tiger v Hawks last night. Bleerrrk. Gearing myself up for the second half tonight.

Langford won't be given one game and dropped imo. It would not make any sense. Clarko has brought him straight back in for a reason and will give him more game time. Maybe till Burgoyne is back?

Watched Glass v the Blues up close in JLT. He needs games. He cant make any more mistakes than Doc did on the weekend. I love Doc but he is just a fraction off the pace atm. I would like to see Glasses ceiling sooner rather than later. Would hate for a club to waltz in and offer game time, 3 years and more money at the end of the season.

As for Timid O'Brien. Is 24 and has played 37 games. Clarko always said that 50 games is the magic number for him as far as player games go. So 13 to go people to see if he will make it or not. ;)

Last edited:
Watched the first half of Tiger v Hawks last night. Bleerrrk. Gearing myself up for the second half tonight.

Langford won't be given one game and dropped imo. It would not make any sense. Clarko has brought him straight back in for a reason and will give him more game time. Maybe till Burgoyne is back?

Watched Glass v the Blues up close in JLT. He needs games. He cant make any more mistakes than Doc did on the weekend. I love Doc but he is just a fraction off the pace atm. I would like to see Glasses ceiling sooner rather than later. Would hate for a club to waltz in and offer game time, 3 years and more money at the end of the season.

As for Timid O'Brien. Is 24 and has played 37 games. Clarko always said that 50 games is the magic number for him as far as player games go. So 13 to go people to see if he will make it or not. ;)

Needs to be cut short by 13

Dees are a potential top 4 side IMO. So we will get another good indicator of where we sit

Will be interesting to see what we do with Hogan . He has been heading into the middle then pushing forward . Imagine Frawley gets him deep

They really like to link up , last year when we were poor we were able to stop that for long enough to get the win . That's a key for us again here

We missed Sicilys marking and rebound last week , having his 46 games AFL experience into the side is a great in for us
Hogan doesnt seem to play very tall - he plays smart. He’s an unusual key forward. I wonder if we will put Stratton on him. Have frawley on the other tall to kill the high ball and Sicily flying all over the joint.

Langford just has to go I’m afraid. He’s one of those guys where “if he’s getting a game we are well off the pace”. Was a mistake to bring him in. It seemed like he was brought in to give us the flexibility to send Howe to half back but that didn’t work so well.

Brand is actually pretty good when he goes for the mark instead of defending/punching. Should have had more license on the weekend. I really like the dude but others don’t rate him. I guess with frawley down on form having both in the side limits us.

Melbourne a due for a bad loss so I hope we can dish it out. They’re a limited team that’s had a very soft start to the season. They are exactly the kind of team that we need to beat to jump above that logjam of sides trying to improve.

theres 3 players who dont deserve an AFL game this week and they are Langford, Duryea and O'Brien

theres 2 good signs from BHH, Cousins played well apparently and Mitch Lewis is coming on better than any of us had thought he would

IN: Glass, Sicily, Cousins

OUT: Langford, O'Brien and Duryea..... obviously

people have been pointing out our lack of midfield power with only Mitchell and O'Meara being our only good mids, our wings are doing really well, but we need that 3rd mid and 4th rotation mid to produce something, Howe is doing ok as a defensive mid, but Shiels is AWOL like always, we need a high possession inside mid to fill out our 3 man mid, thats why i would like to see Cousins or Worpel given the 3rd mid duties with Howe as 4th mid, Shiels can maybe get a spot as a flanker?

If they put glass in the side, it will be difficult to get him out of the side. Dropping glass causes all sorts of problems with walking around in bare feet.

If they put glass in the side, it will be difficult to get him out of the side. Dropping glass causes all sorts of problems with walking around in bare feet.

These attempts at Glass puns are just too obvious now, they're getting far too transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back