Prediction Round 5, 2024: Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Two forced outs: L Edwards and Maric Inj, and Rawlinson
In: Brockam, Hall and Dewar.

Chesser can play back if needed as Edwards has been providing cover in defense.

Brockman makes our forward half smaller and faster as does Dewar.

Hall or Dewar to sub.

Witherden in for Edwards would not surprise.

Maric -> Brockman
Edwards -> Johnston
Chesser -> Gaff
Give Sheed and Culley a bit more time to build match fitness in the WAFL. Trew and Hall very close

I would love nothing better than Flyin' straight back in but I am mentally scarred about the possibility of his hamstrings not being ready. Bring him in only to see one snap again? I'm desperate to have him back because I love to watch him but it would almost be too much if he went down again. #triggered #sigh. Give him atleast 1-2 weeks in WAFL is my thought.
Hamstrings snap in the WAFL too.

Ryan hasn’t played football at any level since R3 last year. The only competitive work was some match sim stuff pre Christmas before he did his hammy in the first session after the break

He’s been doing a lot of work to get back and has attacked his rehab better this time around. But he needs to be eased back through the WAFL where his time can be managed if necessary

Bringing him straight back into the seniors is exactly what we’ve been criticising the club for doing the last 2-3 years

Needs to play at least one game in the WAFL and assess from there

Has nobody been paying attention to the last 3 years at this club. Ryan should not be rushed in and I doubt he would have the fitness to run a full game out. He's never been fit, and he looked noticeably unfit going into the preseason before the hamstring. Brockman will be out of protocol he fills the small role better and isnt a liability on the field.

Out: Maric, Edwards, Rawlinson
In: Brockman, Trew, Gaff to sub.

Things seemed to gel pretty well this week so I'd be keen to leave it as close as possible to how we structured up. Brockman back in is a no brainer, which pushes Rawlinson out unfortunately. We could put Brockman into Luke Edwards role but I don't think Rawlinson has the tank to run out a full game even in a forward pocket. I would love to see Johnston replace Edwards but I don't think he's running out a full game either so it has to be Trew or Gaff and I prefer Trew. For selection integrity as well I'd think it's a bit unfair to be bringing in Hall or Johnston when Trew hasn't really put a foot wrong and clearly has an edge on them physically. Gaff to sub because I'd prefer to just not use the sub this week and don't want to rob WAFL minutes from any of the kids.

Last chance this week for Darling and Chesser or a spell in the 2's for them. Darling is trying his guts out but at the end of the day it's not showing on the score board. Chesser can't really afford to have another poor showing and justify keeping his spot. I reckon Darling is going to kick 4 and Chesser will get 20 though so.

Brockman the logical replacement for Maric

Replacement for Edwards is less obvious. The WAFL side getting spanked doesn’t help. One of Johnston, Hall or maybe Trew if we want to go young. Gaff might have done enough to get a recall but that seems a retrograde step

Happy to keep the changes at that with Rawlinson getting another run as the sub

Simpson made mention of wanting us to get used to playing together so I think there will be minimal changes

Agree with these changes. Forward for a forward (Brockman/Maric), and a mid/wing for a mid.

Chesser, as much as he hasn’t set the world on fire (hasn’t been super poor either), would mean changing both wings. Would be bad for balance/continuity IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

IN: Brockman, Hall, Barnett, Johnston (sub)
OUT: Rotham, Rawlinson, Maric, LEdwards

I couldn’t type Rotham fast enough and a good game for Barnett to play. Should be rucking every time Nank needs a rest and with Richmond’s undermanned talls would be a great opportunity for him and BBW to spend some time in F50 whilst moving Waterman up to a HFF/wing as a lead up forward. I’d want to see Johnston play the entire second half coming on for one of the talls to provide second half run. I’d also like to see Yeo, Ginbey and Reid rotate through one of the HBFs to provide some run and drive.

Surely Ryan will be on managed minutes if playing at any level next week? Good to see Ryan back though, definitely a match winner who can bring a bit of that much needed spark back into that WCE forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club has said Ryan's 'likely' playing WAFL.
https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/1520999/sjog-health-care-injury-update-round-four
-there is more positive news on the horizon with high-flier Liam Ryan likely to play state league football in round three of the WAFL season next week.

Liam Ryan has been in full training for about two weeks so another week to increase his durability and then we’re hoping he plays next week,” Inness said.

I think with the role he plays and reputation, danger, and skills he has, we could play him as a deep forward out of the goalsquare trotting around at half pace would be vastly less risky than having him line up for a WAFL match where we're going to get beaten up physically and on the scoreboard.

Richmond would still need to park a Grimes etc. caliber defender on him 'just in case'. They don't need to do that to Rawlinson.

I've seen more injuries/suspensions come from playing B grade than A grade in my time. So again, for Ryan, I'd suggest playing him straight into the main squad - maybe as sub at worst.

Club has said Ryan's 'likely' playing WAFL.
https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/1520999/sjog-health-care-injury-update-round-four
-there is more positive news on the horizon with high-flier Liam Ryan likely to play state league football in round three of the WAFL season next week.

“Liam Ryan has been in full training for about two weeks so another week to increase his durability and then we’re hoping he plays next week,” Inness said.

I think with the role he plays and reputation, danger, and skills he has, we could play him as a deep forward out of the goalsquare trotting around at half pace would be vastly less risky than having him line up for a WAFL match where we're going to get beaten up physically and on the scoreboard.

Richmond would still need to park a Grimes etc. caliber defender on him 'just in case'. They don't need to do that to Rawlinson.

I've seen more injuries/suspensions come from playing B grade than A grade in my time. So again, for Ryan, I'd suggest playing him straight into the main squad - maybe as sub at worst.
Nah. Get him right for the role he'll play and bring him back to the A team when he is capable of playing that role. Ryan would be excellent coming out of the goal square but so is Reid. But Reid is more damaging up the field. Same thing with Ryan.

I don't know what Simmo has planned for him but I see Ryan playing the Brockman role. His vision and kicking ability is elite and will be much needed when he is right to play.

Sheed, Ryan and Culley still underdone.
Hall, Brockman and Trew are ready to go, and....................................Gaff.

L.Edwards -> Hall
Maric -> Brockman
Chesser -> Ryan
Rawlinson stays sub

Long, Petch, Cripps
Ryan, H.Reid, Brockman

Speedball.

Trew deserves a game has been pretty consistent so far in both WAFL games and the wafl preseason games.

Out: Edwards, Maric, Rawlinson

In: Trew, Brockman, Gaff (sub)

I am with you on Trew as he has been consistently good at WAFL. I would be confident that he would not disappoint.

As much as I am extremely disappointed that Maric has been seriously injured, I am looking for a silver lining, to take out of this shitty situation.

With Maric, Allen and Flynn out for a chunk of time, what that does do, is give Jack Williams and bit of a block of time in the seniors to gain, more game time and experience.

J Williams is a player who I am not sure if he makes it long term, but every now and then he does give glimpses that he has something to offer the team going forward.

For a 199cm 20 year old KPP / ruck chop out, he shows some moments that are encouraging.
In an ideal world he would be honing his craft in the WAFL and benefitting from better ball supply as the Beagles become more competitive.
It's why I liked the Flynn signing, as it gives both Jack and Harry Barnett time to develop in the WAFL

When we drafted him I was worried about his lack of pace and athleticism, but he was 194cm and he has added some more height and bulk since then.
One thing that Jack always had in the Colts was, endurance as he has a very impressive tank on him for a tall.

Given that he is never going to be a player with pace, he needs to bulk up and learn how to use his body and his physical strength to his advantage.

I am looking forward to watching Jack over the next month,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back