Autopsy Round 6 vs Brisbane, Metricon Stadium, Sunday 24th April, 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m yet to be convinced Luko is going to make it as a KPF. A Third tall yes.
I thought Luko's role in the game against Carlton was close to how we want to utilize him - mostly wing, high forward.

Of course, we still need to learn how to put ball in his hands more often, players still ignored him on multiple occasions, he missed easy shots.

Got more and more annoyed and frustrated as the game went on. Just one of those games.

Either we got beat one one one, or we did not finish a tackle, or we left dangerous players free in space (those 3 mainly in defence), or we bungled goal scoring opportunities, or we bombed it long towards the goal square again and again expecting something different, or they turned 50/50 chances into goals again and again, or they scored easy goals off our poor play, etc etc.

On top of that were the handful of ump decisions that turned into goals. The umps did not decide the game, they just made an annoying night even more annoying. What is a push in the back again? That mark to McStay was a fair dinkum Tom Hawkins square up to the Lions. I guess that is the rule now. Forwards should just start shoving away b/c the umps can't or won't pay them all. If you get a mark inside 50 for every second shove in the back, good times.

Some good performances from Collins, Ainsworth, and Swallow, and a few others were OK. But gee there are a few players well below their best and quite a few of them are in defense.

Anyway, time to be a goldfish and look ahead to next week.......

My next question after being told Elijah‘s body is not ready would be when do they expect him to be ready? Would love an answer to that. Brisbane’s medical team seems to have Jesus working for them with the number of players whose careers they’ve resurrecte
Well we're talking weeks not months
I'd say there's a strong chance he plays a good chunk of the games from the bye

You've all said it - I'm just adding to it...

Dew cannot coach.

Rocket did some heavy lifting and got binned, so we roll along aimlessly again until we get a coach who can tell the board some home truths.

The organisation is appalling.

Do the coaches watch the games?

We need speed in the middle. Look at Hawthorn, under Clarkson, they went in with Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel. We go with Anderson, Swallow and Fiorini
The result is the same:
10% we won the clearance
10% it's a stoppage
80% the ball breaks loose and the opposition speed away.

Clarkson got dumped, and the first thing Mitchell did was change the ultra-slow midfield.

Hawthorn dropped Worpel (B+F winner too apparently) shoved O'Meara up to half-forward and put pace in the midfield. Look at the difference now!

Dew cannot, or will not accept that 3 slow mids do not, will not and never will win you a game of footy.

Speed, speed, speed. Put one ball-getter - Rowell and add Markov and Weller. Or Swallow, Rankine and Powell. Move Anderson to the wing - he can go up and down all day and do his thing.
He is too slow to be a midfielder (he was on Bailey for at least 4 of his goals yesterday - couldn't go with him).
Swallow to half-back in a Luke Hodge type role.
Put Ellis back on the bloody wing.

HONOUR MARKOVS LEADS!!!

The poor bastard must be sick of running hundreds of meters just to be ignored over and over again.

I compare us to Hawthorn, as, at the start of this year, on paper we had a better list.

They have a better coach - now compare us and them right now.

Who is closer to a flag?

God only knows why we would choose to appoint 2 rookie coaches, when it's clear we need a couple of tough old bastards setting standards.

If I'm unfit and I get a bollocking off of Dew, I'd just laugh.

Dew Out.

End of rant. Sorry guys.

I’m yet to be convinced Luko is going to make it as a KPF. A Third tall yes.

Oh yeah. He’s not a key position player, but his kicking in the forward half will lead to more and better goal scoring opportunities.

So I flew up for this one. My first game on the coast since 2019. Looks like I brought the Melbourne weather with me! I thought we weren’t disgraceful but missed a lot of chances and were punished significantly on the counter.

We seemed to get killed by advantage free kicks every week. Another small forward in the conditions would’ve really helped. I don’t think it was a complete disgrace but not a game I come away thinking we’ll win many more matches this season.

Nice to get up there for the first time since COVID, looking forward to heading to the G next Sunday.

Our defence let us down so badly last night, felt like every time it went in there they scored. Collins is an absolute star though and should be AA at the rate he’s going.

It was a great turn out at least. Don’t know what the numbers were but seemed like the most people I’ve seen at Metricon in the long time.

Despite what some may think, there were some positives from last night. Firstly, a crowd of 14,897 showed up to a game that was affected by rain and that's the biggest crowd for either Gold Coast team in 2022 to date. After pulling 14k to the Carlton game two weeks ago, we're starting to get some good numbers coming through the gates again which is a big positive in my mind. Another positive was that our mids matched/bettered Brisbane's mids throughout the game. Wittsy and Chol won the hitout count 55-41, we won the clearance count 51-44, narrowly lost the contested possessions count 163-159 and won the uncontested possessions count 169-166. We weren't struggling to get our hands on it, it was what we did with it once we got the pill.

The quality of our i50 entries was obviously poor last night. Casboult somehow managed to kick three snags in rainy conditions when it was coming in ugly but our other forwards didn't do a lot, with the possible exception being Holman. The poor i50 entries are why I think it's so important we get Luko back this week. It just seems like our i50 entries have really dropped off ever since Luko went down and I don't think that's a coincidence when you consider he's probably the best kick in the competition.

Fortunately, we're still just one win behind 8th place on the ladder (hopefully the Swans beat Hawthorn today!) so it's not like we've fallen way behind after this one but we do need to get on our bike and make something happen against Collingwood next week.

We need speed in the middle. Look at Hawthorn, under Clarkson, they went in with Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel. We go with Anderson, Swallow and Fiorini
The result is the same:
10% we won the clearance
10% it's a stoppage
80% the ball breaks loose and the opposition speed away.

Clarkson got dumped, and the first thing Mitchell did was change the ultra-slow midfield.

Hawthorn dropped Worpel (B+F winner too apparently) shoved O'Meara up to half-forward and put pace in the midfield. Look at the difference now!
So what you’re saying is that getting Clarkson as coach won’t fix our problems, as he made the same errors as Dew. Now that part I can agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m picturing jack Bowes to turn into What Callum mills is doing at Sydney.

Smart footballer who gets into space and doesn’t waste the ball.

Both mids as juniors, who went back for their development, time to see Bowes in the guts again.

Did anyone see Fagan's presser last night? He was actually pretty complimentary of our efforts and seemed surprised that we matched them in the midfield. Somewhat of a backhanded compliment when he said it was the best game we've played against them while he's been the coach but also said we're going to be very formidable in the near future if we continue on this path. I'm sure Fagan sees a lot of Brisbane circa 2018 in us and knows we're on the right path.

Did anyone see Fagan's presser last night? He was actually pretty complimentary of our efforts and seemed surprised that we matched them in the midfield. Somewhat of a backhanded compliment when he said it was the best game we've played against them while he's been the coach but also said we're going to be very formidable in the near future if we continue on this path. I'm sure Fagan sees a lot of Brisbane circa 2018 in us and knows we're on the right path.
Great. Now we just need a Lachie Neale, Charlie Cameron, Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Marcus Adams, Darcy Fort and dare I say it, Callum Ah Chee and Jarrod Lyons to fall into our lap ;):p

GOLD COAST SUNS

The Suns may have gone down by 52 points, but the scoreboard didn’t reflect the nature of the QClash contest. The Gold Coast finished +4 in inside 50s, +14 in hitouts and +seven in clearances – but they just couldn’t find a target without injured big man Ben King. And when they did, their accuracy let them down. Coach Stuart Dew lamented their inability to put scoreboard pressure on, but praised his team for “having a crack”.

Grade: B-

Someone at Fox Sports must have rated our performance.

GOLD COAST SUNS

The Suns may have gone down by 52 points, but the scoreboard didn’t reflect the nature of the QClash contest. The Gold Coast finished +4 in inside 50s, +14 in hitouts and +seven in clearances – but they just couldn’t find a target without injured big man Ben King. And when they did, their accuracy let them down. Coach Stuart Dew lamented their inability to put scoreboard pressure on, but praised his team for “having a crack”.

To be fair, we were far better than the score suggests.

I think this game is a bit of the opposite of the Giants game. We played terribly but kept the score respectable, whereas we played well this time but the score was a blow out.

GOLD COAST SUNS

Dewey’s mum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back