Review Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs @ Mars Stadium - 24th March 2024 - 12:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

• Team that's just been spanked.
  • Playing a Victorian team away at a regional frigid ass ground
  • We've just played a wet game
  • Rosas is suspended now
  • Last time we played in Ballarat we needed Joel Jeffery putting us on his back to even get close.

I am concerned.
+ Witts and Humper out

I hate it when I'm right. Only thing I was missing was my usual "Oppo by 45"

Really disappointing first quarter that put us on the back foot for the remainder of the game.

The good
Great to see Jed get a run
Wil was very good once again
Collo was also good under great pressure
Rowell is all he was made out to be and more

The bad
Ellis needs to go IMO, poor decision maker and doesn’t get enough of it
The bombing into the forward line was infuriating ( I’m sure I’m not alone in that observation)
Touk back to the kick and hope style
General lack of intent at the start of the game
Dogs ran in waves and we seemed to flat footed, maybe harsh but looked that way to me on TV

Week off and we are going to need it against a razor sharp GWS, great opportunity to shake this off

luko is a forward. don't think that should change depending on the round/opponent.
ben long is a defender, or not in the team at all. didn't give much impact.
ellis & budarick should be in the vfl. swallow perhaps at some point too to give some other guys a go and make them earn their spot.
mac andrew should have been a clear inclusion today, every D50 we looked short.

Think its 250 and out for Ellis, he has never been a crash and bash player but could always find the ball but now can't get a touch. Where do we go with a wingman, seems clohesy is close and faulkhead is in form. Wouldn't mind going with a different look and rotating luko and ethan read from deep forward to wing. Add mac Andrew to the backline and read + Andrew can support witts/Moyle in the ruck.

Rosas King luko
Ainsworth walter Humphrey
Fiorini Anderson read
Sexton ballard Powell
Andrew Collins uwland
Witts Rowell miller
Flanders holman berry swallow/Budarick

Seems to be a better mix of talls and smalls plus some avenues to goal.

IMO two pretty glaring list deficiencies were exposed today without Witts and Rosas in the team. We don't have a good backup ruckman and we're missing a mercurial small forward when Mally isn't in the team. You could even argue Rosas isn't that consistent goalkicking small forward yet either, but he's started the season well so I wouldn't necessarily make that statement right now.

Anyway. We got jumped early and were chasing our tail trying to catch up all the day long. Our midfield took too long to adjust and the Dogs made us pay for it.

Last edited:
king really needs a KPF mentor he can spend the year & offseason learning from. jonathan brown, fev, anyone. he approaches marking contests like he's a skinny flanker in under 16s and not a big 200cm adult. quality of ball entry into forward 50 doesn't help when we just bomb it in there but he looks so lost for most of the game and just doesn't have any form of aggressive aura about his marking contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Look at his ******* motor.

Not his fault our Forward entry didn't get on the plane
This 100% what you didn’t see on TV was his effort chasing and pressuring the defenders he is hard at it and deserves a spot in the 22 for sure. Key position players always take longer to develop but he has the tools to be elite.

Also yes our forward 50 entries were beyond poor and didn’t favour our forwards at all. Just hack kicks forward to nobody.

Is it terrible that my entire footy psychosis has now really just crystallised into wanting not to lose so I don't have to see a mental image of that little prick Barrett giggling to himself about how he'll be able to talk and write more s**t about us being flakey and continuing to death ride us to never play finals?
Avoiding AFL websites this week in 5,4,3,2.......

king really needs a KPF mentor he can spend the year & offseason learning from. jonathan brown, fev, anyone. he approaches marking contests like he's a skinny flanker in under 16s and not a big 200cm adult. quality of ball entry into forward 50 doesn't help when we just bomb it in there but he looks so lost for most of the game and just doesn't have any form of aggressive aura about his marking contests.
There's a bloke living in Reedy Creek that might be of assistance. Bonus that he already has a relationship with Dimma from their days in inner-eastern Melbourne.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/03/24/r2-review-v-bulldogs-height-isnt-everything/

I think its fair to say that the breeze wasn’t the deciding factor, outside of the first quarter no team had a run anything like that. The Dogs were just better in every area. They won the clearance battle, Weightman and the Dogs’ talls took more marks inside 50 and Jones and co. took as many intercepts as any team ever. The Suns disposal was also just generally below standard making it impossible to chain together enough possessions to get the ball into the forward line. Hardwick will see this as a useful reality check, their turnover game was nowhere near as effective as the Dogs and no matter how good the mids are at clearance their ball use hasn’t improved enough on last year. It’s a good time for a bye to reset and get tweaking.

#PlayerAFGBDKHMTHOCMGGAToG%

Ned Moyle8110149522254206068

Tim English11200159668253291182

Just shows the value of Witts. Moyle’s stats are all fine, but his ToG is significantly lower load—which puts pressure on someone else playing the ruck role while he is off.

After a couple promising games berry was disappointing. He's in the team to pressure and tackle but didn't lay a glove on a bulldog once for the game. The bombing forward is frustrating to watch but the tall forwards need to atleast bring it to ground and the smalls hold it in, neither happened. Rogers will be under consideration but may need a block of games in the ressies to build fitness after a short pre season.

Beaten all over the ground. Collins gets a tick with all those marks (playing well this year), but that is about it.

If we get beaten in the mids, and don't put enough pressure on the ball, we are going to really struggle with our current backline.

Sexton is a good story, but he ain't doing anywhere near enough. He is getting worse, not better. Their running half backs looked dangerous all day. It should have been a good day for a half back runner, especially with the wind. How long to keep trying this?

As generally agreed, Casboult and Ellis might be done.
Casboult has one elite skill and that is contested marking. So when he is dropping them it ain't good. He has 2 contested marks for the year, while spending time in the ruck. Ellis has fallen off a cliff the last 2 years.

Finally, how much of getting beaten is playing a day game in dry and windy conditions? Had to be part of the reason.

Plenty of our players got shown up with disposal efficiency in those conditions. If they were playing golf, you would have found out who were the ball strikers and who were the fluffers.

We got too many fluffers atm, not enough ball strikers.

After a couple promising games berry was disappointing. He's in the team to pressure and tackle but didn't lay a glove on a bulldog once for the game. The bombing forward is frustrating to watch but the tall forwards need to atleast bring it to ground and the smalls hold it in, neither happened. Rogers will be under consideration but may need a block of games in the ressies to build fitness after a short pre season.
Hardly Berry's fault his impact was so low, how is he supposed to put on ground ball pressure when our mids just kicked it to the Dogs defenders, or over our key forwards heads and our KPFs didn't win or halve like 70% of the aerial contests. We went in to tall up forward and paid a dear price because we had no pressure in the forward line. Ben King needs a rocket up him, it's like watching Peter Wright out there again, soft as butter in the air. So frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back