Game Day 2024 Scratch Match #1 vs Brisbane @ Brighton Homes Arena, Thu Feb 22 5:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

DIMMAS NOTES.

Tsitas ❌
Uwland- not yet
Swallow- not back, not mid, fwd?
Dmac- maybe
Day- back up only
Fiorini- too slow
Lukosius- not a key fwd
Lemmens- best lockdown option
Sexton- maybe
-----------------------
Andrew- just play him
Rosas- best small fwd we have
Casboult- better than day
Jeffery- better than swallow

King and Luko look a fair way off Lynch and Riewoldt. Luko in particular looks way too timid to be a key fwd. Thought that was embarrassing really. Casboult > Day, has been his whole career. Budas and Clohsey look to be putting their hands up for rd 1. So did Mally and Mac. Most of the sentiments on here are similar, one thing that I didn't really notice was an obvious game plan, it just looked like it was the same old GC with the magnets thrown around.

Well, we usually look good in pre-season games and then have a shite season… so perhaps this is a good omen

Agree, #sackdimma

I was hoping for one thing and that was no injuries.

Game plan looked there, execution was terrible. Blame it on the chemistry of a new backline or the wind or Brisbane being elite, not sure but very rusty today.

Disappointed in our starting midfield, no excuses from them couldn’t get a clean centre clearance all day, should be our bread and butter.

Few positional changes which I’m not a fan of but I’m not coach so let’s just wait and see after a few more weeks. Dimma and his staff are learning what he’s got. Long season

DIMMAS NOTES.

Tsitas ❌
Uwland- not yet
Swallow- not back, not mid, fwd?
Dmac- maybe
Day- back up only
Fiorini- too slow
Lukosius- not a key fwd
Lemmens- best lockdown option
Sexton- maybe
-----------------------
Andrew- just play him
Rosas- best small fwd we have
Casboult- better than day
Jeffery- better than swallow
It was a terrible performance for those first three quarters - only redeemed a little by the performance of the B team members over the last three. I think it's still the same old culprits - McPherson, Day, Fiorini - all should be gone. Lemmens is our best lock down and that's a shame because we need a better player in that position. Hopefully Uwland may be the answer by the end of the year. Sexton looked OK but I suspect his position in the side will be short after a few poor games. Better players surely in Jefferey etc. Swallow is done unless you park him up forward with short bursts on the ball. Tsitas is another Flanders at the moment - slow developer when given his chance but he can get the ball. The 'bad' Touk is back as well - handballs directly to opposition, kicks way off target and intercepted. Hope he can get back to the 'good' Touk of 20/21. Ando was hacking his kicks and didn't look overly interested. King and Luko have to toughen up! Couldn't see much to get enthusiastic about in those first three quarters - Lions just played with us. Dimma needs to find that missing 20% very quickly! ...and although it's not popular Ainsworth and Holman must get more of the ball to justify inclusion. Aaaaah well - there's always next week.

It was a terrible performance for those first three quarters - only redeemed a little by the performance of the B team members over the last three. I think it's still the same old culprits - McPherson, Day, Fiorini - all should be gone. Lemmens is our best lock down and that's a shame because we need a better player in that position. Hopefully Uwland may be the answer by the end of the year. Sexton looked OK but I suspect his position in the side will be short after a few poor games. Better players surely in Jefferey etc. Swallow is done unless you park him up forward with short bursts on the ball. Tsitas is another Flanders at the moment - slow developer when given his chance but he can get the ball. The 'bad' Touk is back as well - handballs directly to opposition, kicks way off target and intercepted. Hope he can get back to the 'good' Touk of 20/21. Ando was hacking his kicks and didn't look overly interested. King and Luko have to toughen up! Couldn't see much to get enthusiastic about in those first three quarters - Lions just played with us. Dimma needs to find that missing 20% very quickly! ...and although it's not popular Ainsworth and Holman must get more of the ball to justify inclusion. Aaaaah well - there's always next week.
Dimma said 2 days ago the grand final team is here pretty much 100%

So the lions must be playing in a higher comp then AFL because we got pantsed.

Bloody Charlie Cameron and the lil turds always destroy us!

Draft or trade a back pocket ffs!

And tbh prob couldn’t have found a harder match up for your first game as coach then your cross town rivals Lions. Will be top 3 again this year

Super scrappy game.

Agree with most of the comments here.

Clohesy looks like he will be good, he has some composure which is something our team lacks.

Hope it doesnt take Hardwick 4-6 weeks of the regular season to find out some of his first choice players arent very good... If Tsitas, Mcpherson are in the team for the first month then our season is guna be in trouble.

Casboult needs to be in the team. just his presence will make defenders more accountable and they cant just lay all over King and Luko. Luko was bad but I think he just had a game where nothing worked for him. Wasnt given a couple of free kicks, a few given against him. just missed a mark or two. It happens...

Mac Andrew, jeez he didnt do himself any favours at the start and it looks like Hardwick doesnt know what to do with him. Super worrying as he has so much potential. Id try to get him playing as an extra in defence. Should be in the team though imo.

Think id have Rat in the team over Fiorini. He is more evasive and much more penetrating kick. Fiorini too slow.

Rosas did well in the middle.

Rowell guna be huge this year.

Not filled with confidence. Keen to see us on a dry deck. We will be better, also think we will get exposed more on turnover as well though. Overall we look too slow.

Super scrappy game.

Agree with most of the comments here.

Clohesy looks like he will be good, he has some composure which is something our team lacks.

Hope it doesnt take Hardwick 4-6 weeks of the regular season to find out some of his first choice players arent very good... If Tsitas, Mcpherson are in the team for the first month then our season is guna be in trouble.

Casboult needs to be in the team. just his presence will make defenders more accountable and they cant just lay all over King and Luko. Luko was bad but I think he just had a game where nothing worked for him. Wasnt given a couple of free kicks, a few given against him. just missed a mark or two. It happens...

Mac Andrew, jeez he didnt do himself any favours at the start and it looks like Hardwick doesnt know what to do with him. Super worrying as he has so much potential. Id try to get him playing as an extra in defence. Should be in the team though imo.

Think id have Rat in the team over Fiorini. He is more evasive and much more penetrating kick. Fiorini too slow.

Rosas did well in the middle.

Rowell guna be huge this year.

Not filled with confidence. Keen to see us on a dry deck. We will be better, also think we will get exposed more on turnover as well though. Overall we look too slow.
Just watched the last two periods and there are some almost obvious changes for next week.

Casboult for Day
Atkins for Fiorini
Jeffery for Swallow
Rosas for McPherson
Berry for Tsitas

Watch on Sexton at HB / Mac Andrew as possible replacement if he falls away
I'd think about Will Graham as a sub - he can play almost anywhere and provides some grunt which we lack big time

Clohesy should hold his wing spot - looks the goods for a youngster

Powell to fit back on wing or HB for sure - will strengthen things up a lot.

Important match next week to see if there is any major change in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a positive note, I thought young Leo worked his way into the game well after a slow start against the Lions A team in the 4th period.

Started looking quite comfortable doing some nice things in the middle, which is incredibly impressive for a 17 year old up against guys like Ah Chee who have multiple pre-seasons under their belt.

He’s going to be a beauty.

On a positive note, I thought young Leo worked his way into the game well after a slow start against the Lions A team in the 4th period.

Started looking quite comfortable doing some nice things in the middle, which is incredibly impressive for a 17 year old up against guys like Ah Chee who have multiple pre-seasons under their belt.

He’s going to be a beauty.
He was really good. My favourite part was when he ran the wrong way lol.

Was hoping to see the fast ball movement that has been talked about, saw glimpses but nothing mind blowing.

My biggest concern is King, we seem determined to through money at him but I struggle to see how it’s justified if you look at output v potential

The lack of new game style on display was my biggest disappointment also. It was slower and more predictable than ever. Team selection is the other one and I think if the best players are out there the game style looks a bit better.
King seems to be struggling mentally since his acl and the small setback end of last year probably not going to help. It's a concern but I think if he has a good run for a while he will still be a gun. I wouldn't be rushing to re-sign him though.

Watching the 5th period now, Rosas has the ball on a string, him and Levi should get a chance next week.

Who comes back next week that we expect to be starters? Powell and Ellis?

Ellis probably gets his minutes managed in the 2s for a bit. Just like last year.

Powell can come in for Dave.

Catch ya later love you mate but we need elite ball users down back

Was hoping to see the fast ball movement that has been talked about, saw glimpses but nothing mind blowing.

My biggest concern is King, we seem determined to through money at him but I struggle to see how it’s justified if you look at output v potential
Wonder what we ended up throwing at him

If I’m talking best 22 changes overall, even if we didn’t play that practice game…

Powell in for Swallow
Ellis/Atkins in for Fiorini
Rosas in for Tsitas
Casboult (until Jed is ready) in for Day

I’d rather Swallow forward of the ball instead of someone like McPherson, and I’d rather we play Mac Andrew for now too.

I’ve got a watch this space on quicker players like Jeffrey, Closely or Farrar. Seems like we want to burst from halfback and they will do the trick. But Sexton and Powell might be enough of a combo to start.

If you think that was best 22 in first 4 periods then maybe you been on the medicinal with Dimma.

few of those players in the first 4 period were given a go to see what they’re working with. Someone like Tsitas trains the house down and licks the coaches ass if you come in and don’t know much about him but sees the way he goes about it then you’re going to give him a go but I don’t expect him to last long in the seniors he got worse as the game went on
I'll reword my question because the intent was obviously lost in semantics... Does anyone know why Day was chosen as the supporting key forward with King and Lukosius instead of Casboult?

I'll reword my question because the intent was obviously lost in semantics... Does anyone know why Day was chosen as the supporting key forward with King and Lukosius instead of Casboult?
Only Dimma and his coaches knows. We can only speculate :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back