Game Day 2024 Scratch Match #1 vs Brisbane @ Brighton Homes Arena, Thu Feb 22 5:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely no one thinks the “a team” that played last night is the actual a team right…? Right? You don’t get many chances to see positional changes etc. in real life with nothing on the line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We can only hope

Surely no one thinks the “a team” that played last night is the actual a team right…? Right? You don’t get many chances to see positional changes etc. in real life with nothing on the line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The line-up against GWS on the other hand ....

Clearly it wasn't the best team we could have put other there. I was just surprised they didn't take the opportunity to build synergy between King, Luko and Casboult with the new gameplan. Particularly given Casboult plays a lot more like Walter than Day does and I suspect Walter is going to play a fair bit of AFL footy this season. I guess Dimma has some valuable information on Day now though so it's not all negative.

Another thought I had was that I wonder if the conditions up here in Queensland (particularly early in the season) aren't very conducive to the way Dimma wants to play and that's why the boys put forward that kind of performance. I know it's early days and they're obviously still learning the new gameplan but maybe that manic Richmond get it forward any way possible style is less effective in Queensland than it would be down south. Maybe skills are also an issue at this stage. At stages the game turned into a pretty big scrap in the humid/dewy conditions and I would have that makes it pretty difficult to play the way Dimma wants to play.

Then again, maybe we go down to Canberra next week with a team closer to our best 22 and it all clicks. We don't have a lot of evidence to form well rounded opinions at this stage.

I'll reword my question because the intent was obviously lost in semantics... Does anyone know why Day was chosen as the supporting key forward with King and Lukosius instead of Casboult?

It's a practice match. We have 2 of them.

They're useful for trying things out.

I dare say the plan all along was to play Day one game, Casboult the other. (and doubtless other players/positions were tested as well).

A new coach will want to see how players go for himself, both because he'll be looking for different things (and given the players his own instructions), but also to keep the players fired up. If a bunch of players, especially senior ones such a Day, think their cards are marked from the start, the mood in the playing group could sour quickly.

I'd also add that I doubt next week's game will have the team that will be put up against the Tigers either (although it'll probably be closer)

It's a practice match. We have 2 of them.

They're useful for trying things out.

I dare say the plan all along was to play Day one game, Casboult the other. (and doubtless other players/positions were tested as well).

A new coach will want to see how players go for himself, both because he'll be looking for different things (and given the players his own instructions), but also to keep the players fired up. If a bunch of players, especially senior ones such a Day, think their cards are marked from the start, the mood in the playing group could sour quickly.

I'd also add that I doubt next week's game will have the team that will be put up against the Tigers either (although it'll probably be closer)
Fair enough. Like I said in my last post, Dimma now has some valuable first hand information on Day and can act accordingly. I think the team that we'll roll out against the Giants will be closer to the one that Dimma ultimately picks for the Richmond game. We're only allowed to play 26 players this time around so there will be guys that miss out.

Fair enough. Like I said in my last post, Dimma now has some valuable first hand information on Day and can act accordingly. I think the team that we'll roll out against the Giants will be closer to the one that Dimma ultimately picks for the Richmond game. We're only allowed to play 26 players this time around so there will be guys that miss out.
Agree, against GWS we will play best 23 unless someone needs a rest. Only one game to build more synergy within a new plan. Extra 3 players will be still fighting for a spot. Ellis and Powell should play.

BTW, in 2023, all players playing in round 1 against Swans also played in practice game against GWS.

At the moment, it looks like we will have at least 6 different players in round 1 compared to last year (replacing Long, Farrar, Constable, Hollands, Chol, Davies).

My guess of Dimma's 26 players for GWS game provided nobody got injured. Maybe Read and Day could sneak in, haha.

Powell Collins Budarick
Lemmens Ballard Sexton
Ellis Anderson Fiorini
Witts Miller Rowell
Ainsworth Lukosius Humphrey
Holman Casboult King

Swallow Flanders Macpherson Uwland
Andrew Rosas Berry Clohesy

Last edited:
Agree, against GWS we will play best 23 unless someone needs a rest. Only one game to build more synergy within a new plan. Extra 3 players will be still fighting for a spot. Ellis and Powell should play.

BTW, in 2023, all players playing in round 1 against Swans also played in practice game against GWS.

At the moment, it looks like we will have at least 6 different players in round 1 compared to last year (replacing Long, Farrar, Constable, Hollands, Chol, Davies).

My guess of Dimma's 26 players for GWS game provided nobody got injured. Maybe Read and Day could sneak in, haha.

Powell Collins Budarick
Lemmens Ballard Sexton
Ellis Anderson Fiorini
Witts Miller Rowell
Ainsworth Lukosius Humphrey
Holman Casboult King

Swallow Flanders Macpherson Uwland
Andrew Rosas Berry Clohesy
I could see day still getting a run with King maybe only playing a half or 3 quarters again. Wouldn't be surprised if they want to give read and w Graham some more game time also. Not sure if holman, dmac, rosas and berry all need to play. Someone probably pulls up sore from Thursday, ainsworth copped a corked thigh it seemed. Personally I'd have Jeffery>swallow but seems out of favour.

After re-watching again, I have to say the main positive for me was how much better our reserves looked compared to Lions reserves. They even gave Lions best 22 run for money in P4. Lions toppped up with VFL only players in P5-P6 while we topped up with academy kids. It looks like our depth is better after 30.

To be honest, in Lions reserves I noticed only Joyce (Graham quality), Ryan, Ah Chee (stand out), Lohmann (disappointing) while we got plenty of players vying for best 22 or as OK depth (optimistic view for some) or young players with good potential - Andrew, C Graham, W Graham, Read, Casboult, Berry, Farrar, Lombard, Rosas, Ace, Jeffrey, Atkins, Moyle, Johnston, Long, Faulkhead, Brock. Moyle had Lions young rucks/forward Lane and Smith (both 3 years in a system too) comfortably covered.

Our reserves played also much faster than our best 22. I just hope that when players talk about hard running and fast new plan they mean fast ball movement as we certainly did not have fast players in best 22.

And yes Read impressed me in P3 when I actually thought he was Ballard while watching from opposite pocket :p He made a couple of blunders in P4 right in front of me when paired with Mac (it was funny to see Mac trying to educate him) but he looks like a player and will play some games this year no doubt in my mind.

Lombard looks bloody impressive for his age. It will be interesting to see which pick he will be drafted at. Top 10, I predict.

Last edited:
Could be the end of swallow in 1's. Played as a third tall defender, isn't beating his man for speed and is giving away height. Powell still to come back and Andrew, Jeffery both already better suited in that role. Really nervous about the current selections but hoping a line got put through a few tonight.
No way Dave drops out of the ones. He’s a pro and was just treating that game as practice. I thought he was his usual reliable self personally. We’ll find a spot for him even if it’s off the bench.

Clearly it wasn't the best team we could have put other there. I was just surprised they didn't take the opportunity to build synergy between King, Luko and Casboult with the new gameplan. Particularly given Casboult plays a lot more like Walter than Day does and I suspect Walter is going to play a fair bit of AFL footy this season. I guess Dimma has some valuable information on Day now though so it's not all negative.

Another thought I had was that I wonder if the conditions up here in Queensland (particularly early in the season) aren't very conducive to the way Dimma wants to play and that's why the boys put forward that kind of performance. I know it's early days and they're obviously still learning the new gameplan but maybe that manic Richmond get it forward any way possible style is less effective in Queensland than it would be down south. Maybe skills are also an issue at this stage. At stages the game turned into a pretty big scrap in the humid/dewy conditions and I would have that makes it pretty difficult to play the way Dimma wants to play.

Then again, maybe we go down to Canberra next week with a team closer to our best 22 and it all clicks. We don't have a lot of evidence to form well rounded opinions at this stage.
I think it’s going to take longer than one week for everything to click. That’s why I’m pessimistic about finals this year. We’re going to struggle against the settled well structured teams early on I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After re-watching again, I have to say the main positive for me was how much better our reserves looked compared to Lions reserves. They even gave Lions best 22 run for money in P4. Lions toppped up with VFL only players in P5-P6 while we topped up with academy kids. It looks like our depth is better after 30.

To be honest, in Lions reserves I noticed only Joyce (Graham quality), Ryan, Ah Chee (stand out), Lohmann (disappointing) while we got plenty of players vying for best 22 or as OK depth (optimistic view for some) or young players with good potential - Andrew, C Graham, W Graham, Read, Casboult, Berry, Farrar, Lombard, Rosas, Ace, Jeffrey, Atkins, Moyle, Johnston, Long, Faulkhead, Brock. Moyle had Lions young rucks/forward Lane and Smith (both 3 years in a system too) comfortably covered.

Our reserves played also much faster than our best 22. I just hope that when players talk about hard running and fast new plan they mean fast ball movement as we certainly did not have fast players in best 22.

And yes Read impressed me in P3 when I actually thought he was Ballard while watching from opposite pocket :p He made a couple of blunders in P4 right in front of me when paired with Mac (it was funny to see Mac trying to educate him) but he looks like a player and will play some games this year no doubt in my mind.

Lombard looks bloody impressive for his age. It will be interesting to see which pick he will be drafted at. Top 10, I predict.
Leo was impressive. That goal he kicked was very classy. Has a better burst of speed and strength to break tackles than I thought he did. Doesn’t seem phased by the bigger AFL bodies at all (probably should not be surprised looking at his old man).
IMO we need to start giving more of our talented young VFL stars more opportunities in the ones. Hopefully they can help bring more of that winning and never say die attitude to the seniors that they’ve created in the magoos.

Last edited:
I think it’s going to take longer than one week for everything to click. That’s why I’m pessimistic about finals this year. We’re going to struggle against the settled well structured teams early on I reckon.
Absolutely. It's definitely going to take more than one scratch match for it to click. Our finals chances this year are going to heavily depend on the amount of wins we're able to secure in the first half of the season because we're most likely going to come home with a wet sail when it all starts clicking. If you look back at Dimma's seasons at Richmond, they would often start slow and really hit their straps in the second half of the season. That's what you want to be a genuine September contender so we just have to keep that in mind early in the season.

Leo was impressive. That goal he kicked was very classy. Has a better burst of speed and strength to break tackles than I thought he did. Doesn’t seem phased by the bigger AFL bodies at all (probably should not be surprised looking at his old man).
He almost looks like AFL ready. He could have 2 more goals. Apparently, one of his strength is gut running.

Me too. First 2 games are crucial. Crows looked impressive physically yesterday and are familiar with their plan.

More optimistic about Tigers game. They are in similar situation.

Hopefully our midfield is now ready.

Absolutely. It's definitely going to take more than one scratch match for it to click. Our finals chances this year are going to heavily depend on the amount of wins we're able to secure in the first half of the season because we're most likely going to come home with a wet sail when it all starts clicking. If you look back at Dimma's seasons at Richmond, they would often start slow and really hit their straps in the second half of the season. That's what you want to be a genuine September contender so we just have to keep that in mind early in the season.
If Dimma can get us winning in the second half of the season then he’s worth every penny. We’ve never been much chop at that before.

also didn't spot him at the autograph session after training

fd43a4a45591fd08c070ec54b238de11.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back