Review Opening Round vs Richmond @ Heritage Bank Stadium - 9th March 2024 - 3:20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

i would be lying if i didn't admit i knew we would smash the tigers when the fixtures came out.
4 in a row against richmond, last time they beat us was 2020 covid asterisk* we own them

Great win today Gold Coast and hopefully you continue that momentum into 2024 to have a very successful season.

Can I ask though, what would a trade offer entail for Ned Flanders in the future, as he would fit nicely at Springfield :winkv1: (just kidding).

God awful second half.

But a win is a win, and that first half was infinitely better than anything I thought we would dish up early in the season. Defensive structures, ball movement, forward 50 entries. Couldn’t fault it. Much more confident for the year ahead.

Rowell is a god.

Powell is incredible.

Good to see King and Mally get their hands on it. Even better to get the win in front of such a crowd.

Regardless of result it feels like a loss after that third quarter
Hard disagree
Yes the third quarter was bad but there were some dodgy frees leading to goals and just dumb luck as well as Richmond just getting on top
They had all the momentum going into the last quarter and we held and pushed back and won the last quarter by over 2 goals in the end
We are maturing as a group and I thought that showed

Not sure how everyone else felt but it felt like the crowd was no where near one sided as it usually is for a big vic 4 game. Cheer squad looked the most full it has been in years.
This 100%! Was so good to see the GC bay full behind the goals and my God did they make some noise! Could hear loud and clear the entire game through my TV!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were told during the week that we will need to ride the highs and lows and we got it in the first game.
Couple observations, Sexton at half back is working. Still early days but thought he was petty good and can still get better.
Rosas adds a lot to the forward line.
Swallow was ok but I'd still prefer mac Andrew in that spot, guess they are going for experience early on with guys like uwland, budarick and sexton learning his craft.
Kicking into forward 50 still needs work, could have had another 3 or 4 goals in the first half.
We need players pushing into the elite all Australian status and I think we can see that Rowell and Powell could be that with some luck with injuries.
Luko in ruck was interesting but think it could be a sign of what's to come with walter replacing casboult, another reason to have Andrew in the team.
Anyway we take the 4 points and roll into next week where it's another game where we just need the win while we continue to improve. 🌞

Not sure how everyone else felt but it felt like the crowd was no where near one sided as it usually is for a big vic 4 game. Cheer squad looked the most full it has been in years.
Definitely agree. So happy to see our supporters showing up and making some noise! I guarantee it helped in getting us some of the 50/50 calls from the umps and goes to show the influence we can have if we all show up in numbers and make noise. Just imagine the kind of fortress we can create if we're regularly drawing 20k+ Suns supporters to home games!

Just as an observation aside from the obvious bits…

Berry seemed to have a much better than 6 possession game. Before looking at stats, felt like he did more
One thing he has is serious speed and I think the more he plays the better he'll get. Sometimes he seems hesitant to try and get on the end of it but could be because he is playing a more defensive role.

I no longer have foxtel. Is there any way or place to see a replay or extended highlights?? Does afl website do that?
Or do i have to go old school and record the game (somehow)?
Highlights are on the AFL app/website. If you click on the match, they will be there somewhere.

I no longer have foxtel. Is there any way or place to see a replay or extended highlights?? Does afl website do that?
Or do i have to go old school and record the game (somehow)?
Usually 8 minute highlights on Youtube

Good win but that third quarter showed how easily we can go back to the old suns. If we want a chance at the 8 we need to be more consistent. Tigers are bottom 4 and we got a solid win against them.

Ellis was a shocker I thought but Uwland did fantastic at did the usual crew

gotta be happy with that… nervous in the third but we still held strong even though tigers had momentum. I feel like they got a bit lucky in that third even though they did lift.

I liked Uwland and Berrys game live. Just had effort all game, not always perfect but they are proper team players and give 100% in all contests.

Rat still id prefer over ellis. But he might get another game or 2.

King will get some real confidence out of that! A bit of belief could get him back to his best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back