Game Day Round 6 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 20/04

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Moore spoiled well last night and didn't play too bad. I reckon if he decided to mark all those balls instead of punching all night, we would be talking up his game. With a bit of luck, Eyre and Frampton can hold down defence and we can unleash Darcy up forward before the end of the year. We need a big presence up forward

He took a strong contested mark in the last, and performed a good double fist spoil as well. Besides those two acts, l can't say l really noted much from him.
I really hope with the bye, and an opportunity to rest up, he finds that unbelievable form of 2022 and 23....

He took a strong contested mark in the last, and performed a good double fist spoil as well. Besides those two acts, l can't say l really noted much from him.
I really hope with the bye, and an opportunity to rest up, he finds that unbelievable form of 2022 and 23....
He seems down on confidence for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play well but I was a bit confused as to why he kept punching the ball. He could have taken 5 or 6 marks that he chose to punch

He seems down on confidence for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he didn't play well but I was a bit confused as to why he kept punching the ball. He could have taken 5 or 6 marks that he chose to punch

Well l saw during last week one of the clubs training videos on insta, and a couple of our back six players were punching the ball and not marking it while using the marking bags, Maybe it was a focus on spoiling the opposition forward and punching the ball clear to make sure it wasn't marked.

I'm really worried about Port's midfield. We struggled yesterday and Port are another couple of levels above Hawthorn's mids
They’ve got some of the better players in the competition in that area. Going to need to be on top of the game to get over them. Slightly more confident that the game comes after a week’s rest than if the game was next weekend, but it’ll be a tall order nonetheless.

Lipinski was one of a number of players who had poor games.

Cox, Hill, Reef, McCreery and Moore had stinkers.

Moore will obviously keep his spot but needs to lift big time.
So does Hill.

Cox, Reef, McCreery and Lipinski all in danger of being dropped. Hopefully one or two of the VFL guys seize their chance to play against Port.
McCreery was very good the week before though I would be hoping for more of those games not last nights which was very poor. Reef is an almost player at the moment. Should have been paid a mark even the biased commentators admitted and the left foot snap was touched on the line. I haven’t got him to far behind Ollie unlike others. Ollie does have Hawkins and Cameron to take some heat off him. We haven’t got much talent in that age bracket so I would be getting more game into them at this stage.
Cox and Lipinski , yes should be in danger but they won’t be.
Hill definitely the Normie has got to his head a bit.
Moore really liked that mark in the last quarter , hopefully that’s a sign because he is having a stinker of a year so far.

Hill just missed a few shots he otherwise would kick.
Reef needs a block of games and has the hardest job in the side given the delivery and role he’s forced to play. Kicked a goal and could have had a second. Was working hard.
I don’t get the Moore criticism, just because he’s not in AA form, he still doing his job.

Cox was a double whammy. Poor in the ruck and invisible forward. Did some good scrambling at ground level but that not his job. Need to consider replacing him but Steene and Kreuger needing a block of VFL we are probably hamstrung now but anything remotely decent in the VFL on Sunday from one of them or Begg might fast track that.
Mcrreery remains an enigma. Until he can learn to gather uncontested possessions his spot in the side will remain under threat. Running around after the opposition is not enough.
Lipinski was pretty ordinary and an obvious out if a VFL mid or forward puts his hand up.
Moore is still a vital player. Hopefully we see him back to his best soon.

Agree on Cox. Has not kicked a goal this season and does not contribute enough around the ground. In my opinion, we would be better off with Cameron rucking solo.

Somehow the vibe in here is worse after a win than last year when we lost.

No changes for mine, think the bye has came at the right time.
I think people are justified to be annoyed at that second half yesterday. We tried to coast to victory.

It was lazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great contribution as usual.

Some might wonder if you actually support Collingwood.

Some may even wonder if you could actually be a troll…
Reality is, this may be our biggest loss in a long time. Ports mids were beastly this week. We are in a slump or bodies and brains getting too old and tired, as many have pointed out we need young fresh blood in the team. I'm not a coach I don't have the solution. Be great to be competitive against Port but reality is what it is.

The criticism of Moore by some here is doing my head in.

He’s had one goal kicked on him by his direct opponent in the last 2 weeks. Totally pantsed Hipwood last week and that resting ruck bloke last night got one goal that was impossible to stop.

He’s clearly spoiling rather than attempting to mark most of the time. It seems to be instructed but it could be a confidence thing.

Just because he’s not taking tons of intercept marks doesn’t mean he’s crap and in danger of being dropped.

I swear some of our posters should become Carlton supporters. Last year at this stage of the year they were all bagging out Weitering and calling for him to de dropped. It’s insane.

Somehow the vibe in here is worse after a win than last year when we lost.

No changes for mine, think the bye has came at the right time.

I think the frustration is justified. We kicked 2 goals in a whole half of footy, and the opposition had ten, 20 year olds running around.
After playing like we did in the first half, then play so poorly in the 2nd half l can see the frustration, but to me it's more of a concern....

He’s had one goal kicked on him by his direct opponent in the last 2 weeks. Totally pantsed Hipwood last week and that resting ruck bloke last night got one goal that was impossible to stop.

He’s clearly spoiling rather than attempting to mark most of the time. It seems to be instructed but it could be a confidence thing.

Just because he’s not taking tons of intercept marks doesn’t mean he’s crap and in danger of being dropped.

I swear some of our posters should become Carlton supporters. Last year at this stage of the year they were all bagging out Weitering and calling for him to de dropped. It’s insane.
Agree.
In fact, he’s not just spoiling.
At times he’s attempting to spike the ball down to a player on the move, almost ruck like, as per some of the pre-season drills that were noted.

Agree - some of the sniping has been absurd. It’s the usual knee jerk reaction when a fwd kicks a few, and then there’s inevitable Moore pile on.
Just ridiculous.

I thought Moore spoiled well last night and didn't play too bad. I reckon if he decided to mark all those balls instead of punching all night, we would be talking up his game. With a bit of luck, Eyre and Frampton can hold down defence and we can unleash Darcy up forward before the end of the year. We need a big presence up forward
I was shocked to read the carry on about him playing terribly. I thought he was solid. Played a bit more like Murphy than Moore, but Ok with that.

He remains one of our most important players, but does seem to be below his form of last year.

There is plenty of upside in his potential performance. I’ve no doubt he will get back to his best.

Reality is, this may be our biggest loss in a long time. Ports mids were beastly this week. We are in a slump or bodies and brains getting too old and tired, as many have pointed out we need young fresh blood in the team. I'm not a coach I don't have the solution. Be great to be competitive against Port but reality is what it is.
They beat a very overrated Essendon at home. Just because you add “ edge” to your name doesn’t make you any good.

Port will be a tough side to beat but let’s not pretend they are suddenly some immovable force.

They beat a very overrated Essendon at home. Just because you add “ edge” to your name doesn’t make you any good.

Port will be a tough side to beat but let’s not pretend they are suddenly some immovable force.
Especially away from their "Portress". They'll be in true Magpie territory then.

I have not examined the game in detail, but my impression from the live watch was that we looked good in the first half while hawthorn played a defensive game, allowing us to play as we did last year. They changed for the second half and played as most sides are doing, with intense midfield and forward pressure, which stifled our run. We didn't cope.

Port will be much more difficult, with the midfield they have in the form they are in. At the base, our tactics have been countered and need modification to counter this year's best football. The age and lowered motivation of our players means this is not a simple fix. We might regain competitiveness for this year, without really threatening the flag, but we are in for a scouring over the next few years.

Port may slip a bit while we have our bye (I hope so), and their midfield would be pushing it to have another day out like they did against Essendon. I think we can give them a run, especially as most teams are probably discounting us as a threat for this year so they may take us a bit lightly. That depends on how much they have improved from last year. It could be a lot, but may be a one week wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back