VFL VFL Round 6 v Southport - Saturday May 4th; 12:05pm @ Frankhauser Reserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bytel - 27 disposals,5 tackles, 7 clearances
Macrae - 25 disposals, 4 tackles, 9 clearances
Glover - 20 disposals, 5 marks
Parker - 19 disposals, 4 marks
Lane - 19 disposals, 3 marks
Tomasiello - 17 disposals, 1 goal, 8 tackles, 3 clearances

Reef - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals
Sparkes, 15 disposals, 10 tackles
Johnson - 15 disposals, 7 marks
Dean - 15 disposals, 3 marks
Richards - 14 disposals, 2 goals
Ed Allan - 14 disposals, 3 tackles
TJ - 11 disposals, 5 tackles
Farrant - 11 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackes

Macdonald - 10 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles
Begg - 10 disposals, 17 hitouts, 3 clearances, 4 tackles
Longmire - 8 disposals, 2 marks
Demattia - 6 disposals, 2 marks
Carmichael - 6 disposals, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Kreuger - 5 disposals, 1 goal, 2 tackles
Penny - 4 disposals, 2 tackles
Ashwin - 4 disposals

I quite like Fin's game. He's had bigger games stat wise but that's never the issue, it's seeing improvement in the areas that make the jump up to seniors difficult for him. He was actually was able to power through a few stoppages and showed good intent. I'm still in the pessimistic camp regarding his AFL future, but that was more like it.

Yep, the coaches obviously look at different things than supporters do. They don't care about how many stats they get.

You can see the composure Harvey has under pressure for example, which is what Fly & the coaches would be looking at. It's why players like Wilba are so highly valued. Not big accumulators, but they know exactly what to do when the game needs to be won or a momentum shift is needed.
Touching the ball forty times isn't worth much to the side if you cough it up to the other team.

Clumsy. Has a dip on the ground and in the air, but he's never likely to catch many - his two arms seem to have minds of their own.
Every time he flew for a mark, he landed horizontal on his shoulders. He's not going to see out the season.

Every time he flew for a mark, he landed horizontal on his shoulders. He's not going to see out the season.

He's a masochistic lunatic. Just body your opponent and try to bring it to ground rather than kamikaze launches for impossible marks with your arms looking like your doing the YMCA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was Krueger?
Bit rusty - but not too bad in the circumstances really. He presents well and is great on the deck and defensively. Just need to get him sticking those marks - he was getting there prior to the most recent setback. He’s up against it, but there’s plenty there to have faith in if he can get some luck with fitness.

Has Demattia shown anything at all?
Still too early to say anything about him.

But we've changed our draft strategy. We used to take the best player with ordinary picks and ended up with a lot of good footballers who weren't athletic enough for their AFL role like Crocker, Bianco, Ruscoe Macrae- we're now going for topline athletes with some pretty ordinary draft picks. There will be plenty of misses, and development time will be longer, but the hits will be bigger and the role players will be more damaging - that'd be the theory.

Still too early to say anything about him.

But we've changed our draft strategy. We used to take the best player with ordinary picks and ended up with a lot of good footballers who weren't athletic enough for their AFL role like Crocker, Bianco, Ruscoe Macrae- we're now going for topline athletes with some pretty ordinary draft picks. There will be plenty of misses, but the hits will be bigger and the role players will be more damaging.
It's a little insulting to be praising this strategy when it's still very early days.

Ruscoe has had a better start to his WAFL season than any of our forwards and Bianco has dominated with Footscray. I'll be roasted for saying Bianco is performing well but he is - certainly better than most our midfielders bar Macrae and Sullivan. Crocker was also a late pick. What did you expect?

Straight in for Schultz who was given a week I believe.
Different role. Think Joey Richards is more likely due to pressure but that would be an inexperienced side for a West Coast team on the up. They've moved into the honourable losses phase and are streets ahead of Norf.

Hope you're right. Once he is physically awesome things may change. He might develop the confidence, but at the moment he just gets cheapies and then just panic handballs forward without looking when under any pressure.
Oh ffs.

Players that are year 2 and show no traits are not magically going to get them.

I hope they realise what they have by year 5!!!!!

HH in Year 2 showed traits.

It's a little insulting to be praising this strategy when it's still very early days.

Ruscoe has had a better start to his WAFL season than any of our forwards and Bianco has dominated with Footscray. I'll be roasted for saying Bianco is performing well but he is - certainly better than most our midfielders bar Macrae and Sullivan. Crocker was also a late pick. What did you expect?

Ruscoe and Bianco are the point . They're good state league players. We can get good developed state league players as SSP - we've just added 3 of them. We're going for a couple of boom or bust kids in the draft each year - blokes with the athletic traits to be outstanding in a role. Yes, the strategy hasn't worked yet and it might not - I think we started doing it in 2021 - and Harrison is the only one looking likely so far. I like the concept though. I think it's better than drafting guys like Ruscoe, Crocker and Bianco as kids - as they don't have the athletic traits for the role players we want and are very unlikely to be more than role players. they're good players - better than most of the guys we've recently drafted, but they're just depth in terms of AFL - they don't have the traits to be more than just place holders - the new SSP rules mean we can get guys like that already developed as SSP.

Last edited:
Oh ffs.

Players that are year 2 and show no traits are not magically going to get them.

I hope they realise what they have by year 5!!!!!

HH in Year 2 showed traits.
I agree with you. He'll become a very good athlete, but I just don't think he's a footballer. I'd be trying to see if there's any trade interest - I don't think there will be though.

I agree with you. He'll become a very good athlete, but I just don't think he's a footballer. I'd be trying to see if there's any trade interest - I don't think there will be though.
I desperately want him to get there.
I just don’t see it.

I’m being harsh (and going early!!).

But not seeing what translates to AFL?

Hope I’m blind and wrong!!

I desperately want him to get there.
I just don’t see it.

I’m being harsh (and going early!!).

But not seeing what translates to AFL?

Hope I’m blind and wrong!!

I agree with you. I think he's the least likely of anyone on the list - except Carmichael and Begg. Deveopment is going to have to be extreme - but you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back