VFL Round 1 v Sandringham @ RSEA Park. Friday March 22, 4:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine hitouts compared to 56 is not a promising sign for a ruckman. Whilst he tackled hard, that’s not really his role. He also looked like he was physically exhausted from the load and his body was holding on by a toothpick. Not really sure what our plan with Beggy is. He’s not AFL standard yet.

Feel like these articles don’t do justice to players. Sullivan much better than that. Harvey Harrison should not be that low. Carmichael sloppy but competitive.
Marshall only got 13 HO while Cox/Cameron got 47.
Begg is playing 1st Ruck because Steenes injured.
As Marshall showed mobility and his 11 clearance offer more than just HO.

I'm yet to see Begg crack 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles a game in the VFL.

I'm yet to see Begg crack 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles a game in the VFL.
How about round 10, 2022 v Werribee?

20 disposals, 19 hitouts, 5 clearances, 7 tackles

Or last years wildcard round v richmond?
19 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 marks, 3 goals, 4 clearances

Missed the Werribee game. I remember the Richmond game, which is why I'm disappointed. Thought he might have been able to launch from there. He just doesn't look any more physically up to AFL footy now than a year ago

Missed the Werribee game. I remember the Richmond game, which is why I'm disappointed. Thought he might have been able to launch from there. He just doesn't look any more physically up to AFL footy now than a year ago
Its one game, lets see how he goes this year, when he has help. But he's more physically stronger this pre-season and is taking a lot more marks.

Just play him

Mate it’s round one. He played well and physically contested well despite being beaten in the ruck.

Watching the seniors and the number of times we kicked to the wing to an undersized contest (usually Schultz) - made me realize Allan with height and pace could offer a more effective weapon for such plays in the future.
It’s his logical position IMO.
They're the half forward pushing up to the wing. He doesn't look like a half forward at all.

Wings about hard running and game sense to position well - that won't be Allan for a while - looked lost when he played wing in the ressies last year.

Watching the seniors and the number of times we kicked to the wing to an undersized contest (usually Schultz) - made me realize Allan with height and pace could offer a more effective weapon for such plays in the future.
It’s his logical position IMO.
I thought you were suggesting that Schultz all but dominated his position?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m with you. He doesn’t have a position. To small for ruck and isn’t a KPF or KPD. He’s a MSD speculative pick, majority don’t make it. We all want every kid we draft to become a player but the reality is most won’t

For mine his position has always been defence.

Good size, great leap for a defensive spoil, good at ground level to feed the ball out and a tackling machine

But with all of Moore, Dean, Eyre on the list as KPDs… the horse has probably bolted on Begg becoming a backman

They’ll likely persist with him as a ruck forward though for mixed results and then eventually cut him

They're the half forward pushing up to the wing. He doesn't look like a half forward at all.

Wings about hard running and game sense to position well - that won't be Allan for a while - looked lost when he played wing in the ressies last year.

He is athletically capable and a booming kick.
He can learn everything else.

For mine his position has always been defence.

Good size, great leap for a defensive spoil, good at ground level to feed the ball out and a tackling machine

But with all of Moore, Dean, Eyre on the list as KPDs… the horse has probably bolted on Begg becoming a backman

They’ll likely persist with him as a ruck forward though for mixed results and then eventually cut him

It’s way too early to be calling out that Eyre and Dean are the horses that have bolted….

Marshall had 24 disposals and it was an off-game for him. Begg doesn’t have another position he’s proven in (one game is not a proven talent).

Begg’s cut this year. He just doesn’t have a strength outside tackling. Reminds me of Jed Walter in that regard.

Marshall had 24 disposals and it was an off-game for him. Begg doesn’t have another position he’s proven in (one game is not a proven talent).

Begg’s cut this year. He just doesn’t have a strength outside tackling. Reminds me of Jed Walter in that regard.
Begg would need to be tried and fail in a number of other positions before we cut him.
We aren’t dumping him prematurely without such trials.

Sam Conway still almost doubled the count for Werribee. Hitouts aren’t a strength of his and now that he is turning 22, we have to start to see some signs.

And with Richmond, they weren’t playing a great game. Not to take away from his game but the season was over for the Tigers.

You can learn game sense, but it's not always that straight forward. Billy Frampton certainly hasn't learnt the game sense and smarts of Tom Hawkins - despite his time as a forward...
For every Frampton example there 50 where games sense is learnt.
In our case Mihocek back to fwd, and Howe fwd to back.

Patently untrue. I’d suggest it’s actually the opposite, with the majority of players who need to develop game sense being unable to do so and ejected from the AFL system within 3-5 years.

My view is that AFL is about 25% athletic ability, about 25% skill and about 50% above the shoulders. With those percentages becoming bigger or smaller depending on the role. All three areas can and do improve.

With Allan the 25%s are going to be top shelf. It's the 50% that is in doubt.

He'll improve and get smarter and more decisive. But my view is forget about the wing. If he gets smart enough for that, he'll be an absolute weapon in other roles. He'll be in the centre square or cutting teams up from the Naicos half back role.

Patently untrue. I’d suggest it’s actually the opposite, with the majority of players who need to develop game sense being unable to do so and ejected from the AFL system within 3-5 years.
Let’s be objective about this- for my view to be wrong, then every player drafted would be used in the one position he’s known to play. ie never develop any positional flexibility.

Which clearly is not the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back