Game Day Round 6 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 20/04

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selecting them to throw them in the deep end in the midfield against Butters, Rozee, Wines and JHF, as in the manner Whiskeytown described, will increase our chances of losing based on what we’ve seen of Macrae at the top level, and how green Sullivan is at this stage.

That’s simply the reality of the situation. It’s why Fly and the coaching panel haven’t selected Macrae or Sullivan so far over any of our proven guns who have runs on the board. It’s why Fin was subbed for Crisp against the Lions.
Like I said - suggesting that by selecting Macrae or Sullivan materially increases our chances of losing is disrespectful to our other 22 players.
This is just a fanciful narrative.

Last edited:
Like I said - suggesting that by selecting Macrae or Sullivan materially increases our chances of losing is disrespectful to our other 22 players.
This is just a fanciful narrative.
If the grand final was today, and we had a full list, would you play macrae or Sullivan? Or maybe dean and drop Moore for development? Come on spinny. The next few games are Grand finals for us in the context of the season. Playing macrae against Brisbane 100% increased our chance of losing as he was poor, hence why he was subbed out. Injuries will occur, kids will play. When Mcstay is back, reef will likely be out again to unless our season is cooked

Last edited:

Um, you don't like jmac criticising the broken record troll yet you can't ignore him doing so. If you can't ignore what you don't like why do you expect him to? ;)

Because what jmac (and others) do is basically breaking rules, attacking people and actually being as negative as they claim to hate?

If the grand final was today, and we had a full list, would you play macrae or Sullivan? Or maybe dean and drop Moore for development? Come on spinny. The next few games are Grand finals for us in the context of the season. Playing macrae against Brisbane 100% increased our chance of losing as he was poor, hence why he was subbed out
I completely disagree re BNE - Macrae had no more material impact on losing as any other player having a bad day.

But let me pose another question.
If our midfield was injury ravaged going into a GF, what would our chances look like if we had NOT blooded some kids?

This is my point entirely- we needed to start exposing our kids in order to understand who’ll make it.
Putting this off makes no sense, because a time will come when they’ll be needed and we won’t know who can step up.
Better to try them now when the stakes are lower than in finals.

I completely disagree re BNE - Macrae had no more material impact on losing as any other player having a bad day.

But let me pose another question.
If our midfield was injury ravaged going into a GF, what would our chances look like if we had NOT blooded some kids?

This is my point entirely- we needed to start exposing our kids in order to understand who’ll make it.
Putting this off makes no sense, because a time will come when they’ll be needed and we won’t know who can step up.
I won’t take up the game day thread anymore. But we are 2-3. We don’t have the luxury of playing kids just to see if they are ready (IMO)

Anyways. Game day. Go pies!

Win this and there’s still a chance to build confidence. Right at the precipice.

Huh?

One of the teams that played in a prelim last year had only won 4 games going into round 14.

We’re already got 2 wins going into round 6.

This season has got a loooooong way to go.

Macrae has been competing against pies premiership players on the training track for some time… I’m not talking about a 1st year draftee but a 4th year player.

Allan is only second year but I’d envision him not playing centre mid at AFL level but playing a wing or half forward role

Sullivan is 25-26.

They are the obvious 3 to insert right now. Doesn’t mean they play every week for the rest of the year.., but they at least get blocks of games

Later in the year others depending on form might a look in

But what I find tedious is the rose tinted glasses crowd on bigfooty.

Honestly if it were up to them, many would still have Buckley coach and Blair and Thomas playing… cause they were solid players once upon a time

The premiership defence is over.

A 1/4 of the way into the season and they are not remotely in the same top 4 ball park as what they were last year - the statistical data shows that they are a bottom 6-8 side in nearly every category except hit outs and tackles… which is correspondingly where they sit on the ladder

Beyond this the pies are not scoring from turnovers, not sling shot going from end to end and scoring… the game plan is continually not being executed

But people want to keep playing all the same players as last year… blind hope they somehow win 13-14 of the next 17 games and finish top 4

The worst thing is I’ll get pilloried for this by the usual slow learning nongs who will then parrot what I’ve said a month or two from now anyhow

The sooner the club starts phasing out veterans and playing younger players… the better position they’ll be in next year and the year after

P.S apologies for the tone. I’m in a grumpy mood from other things

This post makes me happy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because what jmac (and others) do is basically breaking rules, attacking people and actually being as negative as they claim to hate?
There is some truth in this. I don't know why some get branded negative for airing views others disagree with and as you say, I'm sure with a bit of scrolling we could all find negative comments we have written about players or coaches. Attack the opinion or argument and leave the person out of it.

Even if someone is (in the eyes of others), negative. so be it. There is no rule against having a pessimistic view of our team or the world in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is some truth in this. I don't know why some get branded negative for airing views others disagree with and as you say, I'm sure with a bit of scrolling we could all find negative comments we have written about players or coaches. Attack the opinion or argument and leave the person out of it.

Even if someone is (in the eyes of others), negative. so be it. There is no rule against having a pessimistic view of our team or the world in general.

We're all human

Some people just get heated and say stuff in the heat of the moment that in the cold light of day they feel differently about (happens in Game Day threads a lot obviously)

Some people just have different expectations to others

some people have preferences in players

There are ways to disagree with people without resorting to snark, insults and condescension.

Most reasonable people can even be swayed by decent arguments. The true trolls will reveal themselves quickly if you actually reasonably disagree with them or try to sway them.

We're all human

Some people just get heated and say stuff in the heat of the moment that in the cold light of day they feel differently about (happens in Game Day threads a lot obviously)

Some people just have different expectations to others

some people have preferences in players

There are ways to disagree with people without resorting to snark, insults and condescension.

Most reasonable people can even be swayed by decent arguments. The true trolls will reveal themselves quickly if you actually reasonably disagree with them or try to sway them.
But they have time to review what they have posted and edit or delete it and most don't. You write something with a tone that comes across as snarky and can take a breath and reword your comment in a slightly less aggressive or personal manner.

You guys deserve to lose for just merging the preview thread with the game day thread
Why is your mob so negative about your chances today? I know you have some solid outs especially with regard to your tall forwards but Marshall and Georgiadis are quality players and your recent form has been excellent. We have been poor bar the Lions and remain an unknown quantity.

Why is your mob so negative about your chances today? I know you have some solid outs especially with regard to your tall forwards but Marshall and Georgiadis are quality players and your recent form has been excellent. We have been poor bar the Lions and remain an unknown quantity.

I'm tipping the pies too

No faith in this team, historically bottling games, PTSD

Good feeling about this one although I’m always a little nervous when teams have key players out. Regarding our chances for the year regardless of the result today I’m just following the coach’s lead. Our goal at this stage is to win 14 matches and qualify. That’s it. Until that’s an impossibility or we’ve ticked it off with a couple of rounds to go, just enjoy the ride. I love that Fly keeps it simple in this regard. It also appears that finishing outside the top 4 won’t phase us in the least, we are easily capable of 4 wins in a row at the pointy end of the season. Statistical and historical trends are made to be broken😊. Go Pies !!!!!!

I'm tipping the pies too

No faith in this team, historically bottling games, PTSD

The only reason I can understand the pessimism from a Port supporter about today is the combo of:

• Pretty big outs
  • For some reason when we play you at the G we seem to really beat you pretty convincingly (even if the actual scoreboard doesn't reflect said dominance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back