Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You surmised all that from one quarter and 7 disposals?
I think he didn’t look out of place and for a guy to have 7 touches a few marks and a goal in one qtr …he looked like he belonged.
Especially since the game was at its hottest too when he was on.

We need to find ways to give these next wave of players more regular game time.
It’s holding us back from evolving the team

When our kids are subs, we tend to bring them on very late giving them kettle chance to be effective.

However, when it’s a veteran, they tend to come on early 3rd quarter.

So, either the coach has little confidence in our kids, or is one of those coaches too afraid to take a chance with them.

I would have subbed off Sidey about 10 mins into the 3rd...

Well, always a flat feeling after a draw, but I think we might have actually pinched a couple of points today. Langford would kick that goal 8 times out of 10. And you cant lose the clearances by 17 and expect to win against a decent team.

Having said that, if Checkers scores with one of those shots......

We cant keep giving up 5 goal leads and expect to run them down.

Not sure why everyone is bagging the backline so much, if you lose the center clearances by 11, they will constantly be on the back foot.

Have to say I was surprised Mitchell was subbed out instead of Sidey. I know its been said before, but I think he's cooked.

A few players will be wondering about some of the things they did, or didn't do, in that last quarter. A few Essendon players will be doing the same. In time, they will pass into the folklore that makes this game what it is.

In the end, we just had too many players down for too long. Bobby, WHE, Sidey, Schulz & Crisp. One of them stands up, we probably win. At least we dont have to worry about percentage now.

The problem with our midfield is that it is being carried by a kid who's played 50 games. We are an injury to him away from being in 'just play the kids' territory. Time to play Sullivan, probably in place of Sidey in my opinion. Harrison showed plenty when he came on. I think we have one there.

I’m happy to tell you that that you are wrong and are completely dense on this one.

Moore was our best player today, or close to it.
Disagree, he was unaccountable as he always is and gets caught ball watching too often.
I hate him as a defender but think he could play a mobile wing or ruck role really well.
He’s a terrific player but an awful defender.

Our Midfield clearance cost us this game, not sure how they address it or who we having coming through. Also Essendon being able to take a kick out and hit the centre square really easily is an issue
We also had lousy delivery into F50.

Forget who it was on the far side in the third had Schultz about 35 out and nobody within 20m, clearly needed a low kick to advantage but bombed it on his head only for Essington to get there spoil and run it down the ground for a goal.
Was a few instances like this I saw, but that one really did my head in.

Nick did his best and Daicii ball use in general is sublime.

Be nice to not give up 4 goal leads and play a 4 qtr game.

from my Delorean

The first for Jones he went up with 3 other teammates and took his eye of Jones who walked in.

Peter Wright first goal he went to mark 3rd man in when he just had to spoil.
Wrights second goal and he gives away the free kick for holding which was there.
Draper goal, he comes in again from the side, no impact at all in a 2 on 1, over the back and Draper walks in.

Harry Jones should have had another 2 at least on him and one goal on transition there he is on the half forward flank while Essendon players streamed forward.
Even Pendles had to speak to him about his positioning at half time.

It’s a weekly thing and goes to show how often Murphy saved his ass on defence.
What garbage. You’re just attributing any goals kicked as against him.

We would have lost the game without him today.

He may have been tried for half a game. I don't expect him to get a lot of possessions but for him to batter the bodies of opposition midfielders and soften them up.
I would be expecting him to win clearances in an inside mid role and collect quite a few possessions in the manner that midfielders do. He has to do more in that role than simply batter and soften bodies. As a small defensive forward there is not so much pressure to gather possessions, provided he also gets one or two goals a game. Today we have three small forwards collecting low possession numbers, though I have no complaints about Hill's weekly contributions. I am not so sure we can continue to also play Schultz and McCreery up forward without at least one of them scoring more goals or collecting more possessions. Harrison may be a better current option than Schultz.

Reef needs to spend the off season with a fitness drill instructor so that he can go through the midfield as well
They need to play him as a mid firstly
They have been playing like a key forward all summer because of his height and ability overhead.
This needs to change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You surmised all that from one quarter and 7 disposals?

Thank god I’m not the only one staggered by the Harrison talk

Like, he wasn’t bad or anything in his limited game time but the way some are talking about him you’d think he almost punched the medal lol

They way I see it, we lack pace around the ball. Mitchell, Lipinski, Pendles and sidey are all midfield rotations and lack a yard in pace. HH is one we could add to the mix. We also need Sullivan and Fin to come in and mix it up at Times.
Our midfield were dominated in the vfl by a vfl team, that’s the issue. Nobody is going to come in and solve the mids. Fin def won’t if it’s pace we want.

Sullivan might get a shot if he plays well.

The other question is who will go out for Demattia after his 50posession 4 goal debut game

Feels like we are just searching for the answers at the minute. I'm hoping the 8 day break gives us a chance to work on it, similar to last week.
Too many passengers each game with sidebottom, crisp, Howe, Whe, quaynor and cox the regular culprits. Can't drop Howe or cox as no suitable replacements, WHE earnt himself a reprieve last week. The others should feel vulnerable

Real issue how slowly we start games and the first 6-8 minutes of the last quarter were appalling too.
Was like that each quarter, Essendon come out all fired up get a quick goal or two, then we claw them back in an arm wrestle.
Rinse and repeat.

from my Delorean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back