Toast Round 10 = Collingwood 78-74 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Incorrect disposal & holding the ball interpretations is what he spoke about during the show. It's what Tom Morris said he'd bring up with the new umpire boss and he did. It's what Pendles has also spoken about.

They all said they were confused about the 'incorrect disposal' & HTB interpretations, most noticeable recently. And the umpire's boss has admitted they have relaxed the interpretation and will call 'play on' when they think there is an attempt, (seemingly) regardless if it is dropping the ball & in many instances a throw.

They were all discussed at length on sen (& other shows) during the week.

No one is saying umpiring is easy and all may interpret things differently..maybe they think it makes it less complicated by getting rid of incorrect disposal altogether, encourages a quicker game, stops constant whistle blowing, etc etc.

My observation was it looks like 'incorrect disposal' no longer exists.
Agree. I feel the interpretation of HTB has definitely changed this year and have queried it in other posts. Our tackling and pressure are a huge part of our game and other teams as well especially as we are often getting more than one player involved. If umpires are giving players more time then it disadvantages us as we are not being rewarded for our high pressure on the ball carrier, though it will be advantageous when we have the ball. Umpires tighten up just like players in close matches and finals and this is when the inconsistency in interpretation can be telling. As far as incorrect disposal goes players seem to be getting away with more and more of it IMO and at times it resembles rugby union with players just letting go of the ball then palming it in the direction of of a teammate. I hate it. A lot of handballs in today’s game would have been called as throws in my day e.g. the backhand type ones and some of the overhead ones. I feel that the AFL want fast open footy but I reckon the more you let things go to obtain this the more coaches will try and shut it down whereas if you pay the free kicks coaches will endeavour to open it up and not get stuck in constant stoppages.

I'm not being wholly serious, but I would like some emphasis on kick distance, as I think many sub-15m kicks get paid marks.

Particularly bothers me because our zone allows those cheap short ones!

Think about how many times we call “that wasn’t 15” when it comes to a kick.
Finally found an umpire who CAN measure distance!
PS: Nice of us to allow the Crows to wear their blue shorts while we wear our white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the Gouka was suggesting white lines? The mow lines are already there on a lot of grounds- 9m? Not sure they are a big help?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But is it actually known how wide they are and is it consistent across all grounds?

I thought they were 10 or 15 metres now people are saying 9?

It should clearly be standardised and the umps instructed to use them to help themselves

Minimum kick length 15m, minimum distance without bouncing 15m, mowing strips should be 15m. It’s not hard.
Exactly. If you kick directly downfield to someone in the same mowing strip it’s play on then. Sometime the AFL overlook the blindingly obvious ways to remove problems

Remove this Banner Ad

Back