Review Round 7: GWS VS Carlton at Etihad, Sat 16th

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
OK time to stop basking in the glory of the win over the Hawks and focus on next week.

We may remain inconsistent this season, being a young team still, but you would hope we can get over what is a lowly Carlton ATM.

Tip: Giants by 30.

Needless to say, we'd look pretty stupid if we lose to Carlton after beating the Hawks - even if it is away.

They'll be stung and have a point to prove after coming under the sort of fire and scrutiny they'll come under this week.

Boys will be riding a high but they have learned the lessons of arrogance after our spanking by wce, Leon will no doubt remind the boys to keep focused and to show respect to any opposition.

That being said my changes are maybe Stewart for Kelly if we want more run. Otherwise unchanged

Boys will be riding a high but they have learned the lessons of arrogance after our spanking by wce, Leon will no doubt remind the boys to keep focused and to show respect to any opposition.

That being said my changes are maybe Stewart for Kelly if we want more run. Otherwise unchanged
Who would chop out for Mumford then

I didn't even think about the chop out. I'm glad I'm not the selectors.

Steele, Kelly, Barrett, Palmer, Tomlinson, Patton will all need to be squeezed in at some point this season

Steele, Kelly, Barrett, Palmer, Tomlinson, Patton will all need to be squeezed in at some point this season
Would Barrett really be at a level of development this season to push for selection in the best 22? See him as more of a depth player.

Stewart can make way for a fit Patton or Tomlinson. That's the only one that screams out as "problem solved".

Unless we decide to take a second ruck down with us in the 22 rather than as travelling emergency or there are injuries, I think we stick with the team as is.

Yeah I agree. As much as I hate WC, it was probably the best thing to happen

Blues may have some important ins, like Kade Simpson and Yarran. However, we should be able to win this. We have the the speed and pressure to force the turnovers. Haynes, Patfull, Heater, Kenners should all get ready for quite a few rebounding runs. Blues seem to be panicking when in possession, and must be one of the slowest teams running around?

We must hit the scoreboard early and build some confidence. We aren't strong starters, so it would be good to turn this around. If Yarran is an in, I like the idea that we have Williams as an option if he gets loose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the dumbest, but most truthful thing I'll say here,

After last weeks massive win, we have to win this.

I'll be happy to take a 1 point win.
Happier to win by 10 goals.

We're at that stage now we have to win games against teams below us on the ladder.

Carlton will be fired up for a big one. Game on.

We're at that stage now we have to win games against teams below us on the ladder.

That's dumb

Hahah just kidding

Saw Kelly's response to being dropped last week just now. Wow, what a response, 39 posessions a bunch of forward entries and a bunch of clearances. Interestingly in that inside role he said he wants to play at the start of the season. When he plays for us he moostly gets outside roles because of his size.... maybe thats not his gig?

Depending on WHE's ribs, he might have won himself a run this week...esp as williams didnt really have an impact with the vest (geez hurry up an bin the vest rule already)

Saw Kelly's response to being dropped last week just now. Wow, what a response, 39 posessions a bunch of forward entries and a bunch of clearances. Interestingly in that inside role he said he wants to play at the start of the season. When he plays for us he moostly gets outside roles because of his size.... maybe thats not his gig?

Depending on WHE's ribs, he might have won himself a run this week...esp as williams didnt really have an impact with the vest (geez hurry up an bin the vest rule already)

I'll admit I only saw the second half (and the last five of the first) but I didn't really notice him. I mean I noticed him, but I didn't think he was all that outstanding - but then again that's what has been happening a lot with Treloar in the seniors. You don't really notice him and then you check the stats at the end of the game and think Wow, he really racked them up. Got it a lot more than I thought.

In my NEAFL thread comment I said "Kelly OK but nothing that deserved a recall" - looks like I was wrong.

Just going about his business and getting the job done I suppose. Minimum of fuss. It's what you need.

HAS to play IMO.

That kind of game is what you expect or want when you drop someone, and then you have to reward the form when it happens.

Kelly isn't just any player - he's an elite potential A grader. So it'd be pointless & detrimental not bringing him in. More harm than good I believe. He's in our best 22 now, and will be in our best 5 in 2 more years so he must must must play.

HAS to play IMO.

That kind of game is what you expect or want when you drop someone, and then you have to reward the form when it happens.

Kelly isn't just any player - he's an elite potential A grader. So it'd be pointless & detrimental not bringing him in. More harm than good I believe. He's in our best 22 now, and will be in our best 5 in 2 more years so he must must must play.

Agree about Kelly. 2nd year tends to see a minor drop off but he looks elite.

Steele, Barrett and Ahern will also get games at some stage. The last 2 might have to wait until the 2nd half of the year.

Grrrr. Downside of no injuries is that no ready spaces in the team for rewarding NEAFL performances with senior spots.

While Kelly's stats suggest recall, we either drop WHE or Williams and do what with the vest?

Performance wise the only question mark is over Stewart, but he's not going to be replaced by Kelly.

Mind you, rather have this problem than no one able to come up.

hmmm sauce got binned after one game... williams could be in the same boat possibly. its harsh but a reality. That would then make Kelly the sub for mine

If WHE can't play due to soreness then I can't wait to read threads about OMG WHE DROPED AGAIN?! HE CLEARLY WANTS OUT AND GIANTS DONT REALLY RATE HIM

I read one comment where they said, he looked disenchanted on the weekend during the game. FFS it wasn't disenchantment, it was pain from putting his body on the line.

No the dumbest thing you said was last week after the WC loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back