Review Round 8, 2015 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players for the round 8 game against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was this the one where he was held up, standing? Ball in one hand, other hand pinned? No prior, but this was one I actually thought they got right. Without prior op, you must make an attempt to dispose. You don't have to dispose legally, just make a genuine attempt. He stood there waiting for the whistle, knowing he couldn't get a hand free. Should have dropped the ball and attempted to kick.
This is another feature that is poorly read by players and umpires. You often hear commentators say "What could he have done". Answer "Must make an attempt. Too many players know they can't get a legal disposal or think they are safe because they had no prior opportunity and do nothing. No prior, must make an attempt.

But I do agree with the "truly awful" comment.;)
I'm thinking of the one where Daniher swung a big arm at Gardiner, then dived on his back but somehow then got the free for Gardiner holding the ball (despite the fact he was making some attempt to dispose of it.

I don't think Rich has confidence to really kick through the footy. He's hitting with long irons rather than the driver. That works some of the time but sometimes the occasion calls for him to hit it loooong and flat and he hasn't.
I don't have a problem with his kicking, despite my frequent disappointment in short passes when he has opportunities for long clearing kicks (and he has kicked some long balls this year, so don't subscribe to fear/confidence factor).
SNIP>
He appeared to be a touch lost out there today.
In attack, he doesn't explode into a lead, he doesn't crumb marking contests well, and he doesn't provide much attacking defensive pressure, yet too often today he was sitting in the forward fifty taking up space and not really posing a forward threat. He needs to be the guy delivering the ball. At stoppages, he is far too passive and doesn't attack the ball with the urgency of someone wanting to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I love Daniel Rich, and maybe it's just me placing his ceiling too high, but I genuinely believe he has the ability to be a top-10 player in the comp. I want to see him be ruthless at the contest. I want to see him win the ball. I want to see him throw his body around and be a clearance machine. I want him to improve his fitness and go looking for short chips, because the ball belongs in his hands. I want him to get angry. I want him to give the umps a spray every now and then. Get angry Richy! I want opposition teams to think geez Daniel Rich is dangerous, and his left foot isn't bad either. I want his left foot to be the cream, not the cake. And I want him to stand up each and every week as if the game and this team belong to him. He looks like a lion, I want him to play like one. Is it too much to ask Daniel? Do you have it in you?
Not like he never puts in, but there are quite a few times he hasn't, enough for me to wonder if he is carrying an injury. Almost bruise free at times. Early in the first, in the middle, a Bomber has the ball and rather than tackle, Rich makes a very weak half arsed attempt at a bump. He was in a position to stop that player, but the soft brush of his hip did nothing to hold him up. We need him to do more of the hard stuff.

I'm thinking of the one where Daniher swung a big arm at Gardiner, then dived on his back but somehow then got the free for Gardiner holding the ball (despite the fact he was making some attempt to dispose of it.
Ah, yeah. Been a few 'in the backs' not being paid as well. It's like some umpires can only concentrate on a few things at a time.

Being at the game today the most obvious thing to take away from the match was that we are devoid of a marking target up forward. If we had a player who could clunk 6-7 marks a game and crash a few packs and kick 2-3 goals a game we would be in most games. The players often work hard to win possession and break through the middle and then look up and see 3 opposition defenders and no Lions players.

McStay unfortunately doesn't appear to be a natural forward as he is a poor reader of the play. He rarely leads and too often wants to sit back and try to take a big mark from the side or behind. And he has zero defensive game. In 3 games in Melbourne i have seen his opponents run off him every time and he is 20 metres behind just jogging. As he is a kid and been thrown to the wolves with out make shift forward line i will cut him some slack but he definitely needs a big rev up for his lack of work ethic at times.

Big Berger had to be ill today as he was awful. He also refuses to lead and just expects the mids to bomb it to him and then wonders why he has 3 defenders to tussle with.

Green was fantastic first half back to his best - rarely sighted second half. Lack of quality ball in second half played a big part in that but he too needs to work that bit harder.

Thought Lester did some nice things and was glad to see him play more time in the middle. Also think we need to use him deep forward more. Has a good pair of hands.

The defence looked tired today and it's hardly surprising considering how much ball they have had to defend in first 8 weeks.

That was Harris Andrews wasn't it?

It's amazing how much of a good player Lester looks when his disposal is clean. He's been looking really good because he's been hand-balling for players to run on to instead of at feet and his kicking has looked a lot more composed. His gait is still a bit funny but he looks to be running a lot more comfortably than he has since his very first pre-season.

I actually thought we were pretty bad in the second quarter too, we just did enough to stay in the game so it was no surprise that the third and fourth quarters were so bad - Essendon just tightened up and sorted their s**t out for the most part.

We kicked 12 goals in a losing game in Melbourne which I can't be super disappointed about, our young defenders just had a bad day and that meant it was too easy for the Bombers to score. As the Bombers started to get into their groove and we capitalised less on their errors it was only natural for the terrible umpiring to favour them - especially after the Bronx cheers from the crowd.

Anyone thinking it was be good to get Carlisle to our club should think again. He might have got 3 goals (one was given to him on the line ) but he is awfully overrated. He spent the first quarter trying to bash Gardiner and only managed to give away a 50m penalty. He looks soft and doesn't work hard enough.

I wouldn't think that Green could have done a whole lot more in the second half. He kept chasing up forward and was often the only one doing it but there was absolutely no ball coming in for him to work with.

I would persist with Lester now. He is showing enough to suggest he can continue to develop into a useful big mid with the odd cameo up forward.

Much the same with NRobbo. Beginning to develop from a low base last year when he was very raw. Now beginning to look comfortable in the midfield and not afraid to bust tackles or make them. He is really beginning to clean up his disposal.

We missed Redden and his general pressure, as well as his tackling specifically. Rocky and the Robbo's stepped up defensively but Redden does a lot of that work normally. Without Redden and Hanley things are a lot tougher for us.

Dawson will take a while to get up to the pace at this level but he will be good. The difference in experience between him and the Essendon defenders was extraordinary. But he got his goal and will improve.

Leuwy was not right so not much to talk about there. Hopefully he recovers for next week.

Both Gardiner and McStay look tired and would probably get a rest if we had the luxury. Injury might make it necessarry though.

Hey fellas, sorry for the intrusion. McStay should be in defence, I've always rated him back there and was never going to do anything on Hurley who is in AA form. Gardiner had a poor game but needs faith, all young players will have that.
You can't put a potential KPF down back because the defender might be too good for him. He has to learn by playing on better defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason McStay is a forward is because we have no options.
And I think in time he will be able to clunk marks. Sure, a making kpb is wonderful, but not imperative. Merrett would have murdered daniher today.

I've noticed even in the 2 games we won, we were ridiculously loose in the back half. If you get the turn over, ok. If not, good night Josephine. It worked in our favor when we won. That Robinson goal off the pack was diabolical from the opposition standpoint, and it's why they lost. We lost today for similar reason. Too loose. (And not aggressive enough. My firm belief, right our wrong I don't know) the hardest, most aggressive team will beat the softer team.... no matter who.

Just the 5pts down @ h/t with out talls continuously out-marked ALL DAY was a decent start; especially with no one really playing all that well if that makes any sense at all o_O

3rd quarter was horrid - umpiring didn't really help either during their 7 goal patch.

3+ years and over 60 games experience less, I could see the game plan, but we just couldn't keep up with the spread after Essendon's defence won the disputed ball.

Really hope this group sticks together as there is some real quality in it :thumbsu:

one trick pony. Needs to work through these like all good forwards.
You see a one trick pony, which is fair enough. I see a lad with great hands, aggression to crash a pack and who somehow reminds me of Jeremy Cameron. Am I mad?

Traveled 2 hours to get to the game and watched 2 quarters with son and daughter. Didn't get into ground until halfway through second quarter and left halfway during last. The little i did see Daniher and Hurley monstered us up front and at back. We did ok. However, * Etihad. Be a long time before i return there again, if ever.

You can't put a potential KPF down back because the defender might be too good for him. He has to learn by playing on better defenders.
I worded that badly. I think he's very similar to Hurley, he busts his gut and would be a decent 2nd key forward, but a potential AA defender. I also think Paparone is a key forward and not a defender.

I worded that badly. I think he's very similar to Hurley, he busts his gut and would be a decent 2nd key forward, but a potential AA defender. I also think Paparone is a key forward and not a defender.

Until this week, you thought Andrews played primarily as a forward. Paparone has been excelling well in the backline.

Until this week, you thought Andrews played primarily as a forward. Paparone has been excelling well in the backline.
I saw his first 2 games which were forward. Don't get so high and mighty on me. Paparone turns the ball over a bit too much by foot which puts more pressure on your defence, but he's a decent set shot and could be a good key forward.

I saw his first 2 games which were forward. Don't get so high and mighty on me. Paparone turns the ball over a bit too much by foot which puts more pressure on your defence, but he's a decent set shot and could be a good key forward.

I would like your post a lot more if it wasn't for the fact that I want to punch your avatar.

Vewy Woughly.

200.gif

Hey fellas, sorry for the intrusion. McStay should be in defence, I've always rated him back there and was never going to do anything on Hurley who is in AA form. Gardiner had a poor game but needs faith, all young players will have that.

Outside McStay we have no one to play up front

Close, Freeman, Staker, Paine, McGuane and you could include Merrett are all injured. Leuenberger is our 2nd tall

Back