Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive crossroads for Max I feel, he's been sitting on the throne as 'King of Moorabbin' since day 1. He is our darling, too good to put the chosen one in the ruck, but it's time he started dominating games. 75 games in, 23 years of age and he's got a forwardline built around him. There's 2 ways he can go from here, fulfil his potential and be a superstar or become the next Ty Vickory.

As for Wilson, enough has already been said - but he is the most sure thing to come to our club since maybe Dal. Such a leader, heart and soul type, I never thought I'd see an 18 year old set standards the way he has but here we are!

Bonner, he bites off more that he can chew far too often. It's time for a rest, a good team wouldve put us to the sword today. I actually want to see Hastie play his natural hbf role now that Webster is back. On Webster, perhaps a little rusty in a really mentally tough game, but today showed just how important he is with his defensive efforts.

Hayes, all I can say is I hope he gets a good run at it. For some reason, it feels like the type who puts his teammates on his shoulders and says, come with me we've got this.

Bradley Hill, what a spark he is providing us, since Lyon has come back he has earned every cent he's been paid.

Xerri killed us today, any decent ruck absolutely dominates hit outs and Ro really struggles to nullify them. He's a gun around the ground and we are a better team with him, he just needs to lift in the ruck contests.

There's no surprise that Wilkie and Battle are beginning to be impenetrable again now that Doogs is back. So long as he keeps on playing within himself we are a much better side with him in it.

Windy did very well today, look forward to seeing Dow, Windy and Steele in centre bounces. He isn't alone here, but use your bloody left boot. Just wish we had more dual sided players.

Goals from turnovers, under very little pressure, were horrible today. North really were that bad - haven't seen that many helicopters since I last drove past Moorabbin. Today should've been a percentage booster, we are easily a 10 goal better team than them. 4 points are 4 points but the fact we didn't win by more shows where we currently are as a unit.

Anyone have Wilson’s running stats
14.7km covered , 5th for game
3.8km at high speed, equal highest with Hill
9.3 average speed for game, equal first with Byrnes (which shouldn't count as a sub)

33 total sprinyst (2nd to Hill)
5 repeat sprints (equal 2nd with multiple players - first was Garcia 8 repeat sprints

Much better to be on the winners list.

- Wilson is a gun. That's the best single game for us from a first year player about a decade.

- As much as I usually dislike Sinclair in the midfield, he was excellent today and made a huge difference.

- Jack Hayes makes such a difference. First time in a long time Marshall has had real help in a game. Not that Hayes won any hitouts but he physically held his own against North's ruck instead of getting monstered. If he can keep doing that, he is invaluable to this side.

- After his first 2 kicks, Webster was very good. Having that extra defensively minded player down back makes a big difference to the defensive system. There would hav been a lot of pressure on him having the crowd eurrupt every time he touched the ball but he handled it well. Best part of his game was going immediately to Shiel's and calling him a weak prick for his cheap shot on a kid.

- Not King's best game but we aren't helping him with our delivery. There were at least 4-5 times where he was in a good spot and we just butchered the kick so it sailed over his head. He will be better for the run. Just needs some consistency in his game and develop the connection with the mids again.

- Speaking of being better for the run, Howard was great this week. He had a great balance between spoiling and making, didn't bite off anything too difficult and went to 90% by foot. Obviously had some cobwebs to work out last week and looks much better for it.

- Steele and Marshall did well working through those injuries. Both are warriors.

Bring on Hawthorn.

I thought the standard of questions to Ross in the post-Dogs press conference was bad. Then the idiot bobs up tonight with his last couple of questions. Fair dinkum. Would it hurt to ask the coaches proper questions about their game plan, player performance, areas of improvement, view on the opposition etc.? Where do these people come from, do they actually think about footy at all? Are they brain dead? The old Ross would have obliterated him. As it is, he basically walked out on the last question.

Got to the game today. Might be my only one for the year.

The good
  • Wilson, jet, workrate is absolutely bonkers
  • wood and hayes, make us structurally so much better. They present at the footy and demand it, THANK YOU BOYS
  • Sincs started poorly but finished like a freight train
  • Hill and Nas linking up is joyous to watch
  • Dougal was good, didn’t do his usual dumb shit
  • win is a win and we cleared 100 points

The bad
  • King. Does no work without the ball. Sooks it up and strops around like a toddler. Corr gave him a bath today… Corr… Jack Hayes showed King up today back off a long layoff
  • Our forward handball obsession is hurting us. It takes too much effort and too many numbers so when we eventually **** it up we’re exposed.
North weren’t good enough to take advantage today but it was tough to watch live
  • Pou needs a spell, today should have been a big game with a third rate defender and he couldn’t get near it
  • our defence was a bit sloppy today. I don’t know exactly what it was but North had a lot of time and space in their 50. Larkey had a mare and they still managed to get a lot of shots from **** all inside 50s

Other stuff
  • Hastie tries his ass off. It’s great to see players who really really care
  • Seb Ross has been down on form but looked good today. Very composed
  • Imo Roma got beaten by Xerri (who plays very similarly).
  • Clearance stats suprised me, being there it seemed like they smashed us around clearance
  • anyone saying they looked good is kidding themselves, they looked awful. Wardlaw had patches, Combden looks a player but for the most part it was a low quality game of footy.

Don't agree at all. I think its a reactionary judgement to say that. If you take away the emotion and frustration of watching him today and look at his career as a whole, consider his age, compare what he's done to other key forwards past and present at a similar point in their careers. Just the cold facts.

No one would trade him. Even if he never improves he's still probably a win at pick 4. We're just frustrated because he could be so much more.
I'm not fully on board with the look at what he's done at his age compared to others.

He has been our number 1 forward since age 19. So much of our ball goes through him.
Other key forward young guns of the comp pretty much all have a more senior or better foil than king.

It skews and inflates kings numbers I reckon

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah Stocker is very important and underrated, as is Jimmy and Doogs and silly to suggest they aren't.

King needs a rocket of some type, that half arsed lead in the 4th that was outmarked by Coor was a really poor look. He slowed up in his leading approach to the ball coming in which allowed Corr to intercept which is unforgivable at AFL level. Then there was that ball that he didnt even attack aerially, not even a jump.

His intensity is non existent so it's surprising Lyon is let him get away with it.

Seems like his knee isn’t right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wood will be better for the run

Agree that Pou needs a rest

Too many brainfades today with some super dodgy decision making and some horrific turnovers

King still looks hobbled ..... he can't be wrestling with his opponent and needs to move more as some have said.... though some of our delivery to him is very rank

A win is a win but much to improve upon

Saints forwards are out of form. All of them.

King hasn't looked this lost at any stage of his career, ever.

Membrey is struggling. Doesn't look like the Membrey of old. He's 30 this month, I hope he isn't declining- was hoping for another few years of quality play

Owens and Phillipou don't look like the same players they were last year. Owens was nearly our best player in the first half of last year

Higgins is the only one performing and he's suspended for 2 more weeks.

Our entries aren't fantastic as we lack quality ball users but, we're not getting reward for effort as long as these guys remain terribly out of form. No one looks dangerous in our forward line.

Thank goodness Hayes returned and made himself a target, and Wilson was on fire.

He's kicked 50 goals in a single season as a 21 year old, averages just shy of two a game at 23 and you're comparing him to Jack Billings, get a ******* grip please
Whilst King has far greater natural attributes than Billings, and I still think he'll become a superstar, don't forget Billings finished 5th in St Kilda's best and fairest as a 21 year old, in a season we went 11-11 and missed the 8 by a game and percentage. Billings also finished 4th as a 23 year-old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm now resigned to the fact that King is just not going to be the player I thought he would be.
At the moment he's about as effective as Eric hipwood.
I would trade him for larkey in an instant, would give them a first rounder to go with it.
Honestly can't see the reason for the love for pou either. Those who think he's going to be bont like are kidding themselves.
He looks to me more like a mason wood or Blake acres.
Bloody hope I'm wrong

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s a long way off being as good as Wood or Acres are currently. Barely gets the ball at the moment.

Harley Reid will win Rising Star because the Media and so called footy experts have a raging hard on for him .... but ..... Wilson gee whiz ..... BOG today ..... 20+ and 3
When you say Media you mean The West Australian?

It's interesting having a little read of the North autopsy. They are really bitter, so many bagging our club saying how shit we are etc. At the ground there was a guy near me constantly paying out Mason Wood saying "footsteps Wood". I mean how bitter and twisted can you get?

I feel for them it must be horrible watching your team lose every week (well actually I know from experience), but also let's not become that ourselves after a few losses. Max had a shit game, ah well let's get behind him and show some support rather than pile onto him. He will get back to his best but maybe our expectations of him are too high especially after being out for a few weeks injured. We know how good he can be.

As for those North supporters, why they feel the need to degrade us, a fellow battling club that have been to hell and back ourselves, is a pretty strange study in human behaviour. Like I said, I have some sympathy, but after reading some of the comments maybe they can get stuffed.

In 2 weeks time we should be back to full strength (sans Butler), with Dow and Henry playing next week, and Higgins and Crouch available 2 weeks after that.

Hard to see any of Philipou, Hastie, Byrnes or Garcia in the team at that point.
Well the best part of that is there 100% won't be room for Brynes and Jones. Refreshing

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think scholarships have anything to do with what I posted. That's a matter more for the parents than the kids.

And of course it's not all private school kids. Some of the guys I went to school with ended up perfectly well balanced.

But a lot of them had their life handed to them because of their family situation or their personal qualities - being attractive or good at sport or whatever - and then when they inevitably met adversity couldn't cope. I hope that's not Max but from the outside that's what he looks like to me.
the biggest load of horseshit I've read in this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back