Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players are given constant feedback. Not all of them are Taylor Adams types, that don't like what they hear and decide to take their bat and ball and go home.
I get that but the life of a footballer is very short and their earning potential limited to their 20s. Fair enough if you don't play certain players but it's unfair to expect they'll stay on the list in perpetuity and be honoured to be at the club. Eventually they'll leave.
The Adams situation was win win. Ageing list and he was being phased out and was offered 3 years at Sydney. He'd be nuts not to take it

Check out the athletic traits and/or skillets of those we play on the flanks.
What’s Sullivan’ additional spot - are you really going to say HBF or FWD where he’s played QTRs not games.

Last year the critics of Finn said that until he dominates in the VFL then he didn’t deserve promotion.
Now that he’s achieved that metric, the goal posts has shifted and he needs to have positional flexibility.

Ironically it’s his focus on ONE position that’s got his numbers up in the VFL to the numbers the critics wanted.

Now these same people are not satisfied, and roll out the knocks again.

Give him time and extended games in the middle at seniors level - if he doesn’t prove himself, then positional flexibility is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

I get that but the life of a footballer is very short and their earning potential limited to their 20s. Fair enough if you don't play certain players but it's unfair to expect they'll stay on the list in perpetuity and be honoured to be at the club. Eventually they'll leave.
The Adams situation was win win. Ageing list and he was being phased out and was offered 3 years at Sydney. He'd be nuts not to take it
He doesn't have to take a public swing at Fly on the way out the door. He can keep his sooking to himself.

I’d like Finn to be moved to the wing at VFL and Bytel inside.
I'd like to see them played in more than one role, but think they've got them both right in terms of thier primary role if you're focussing on strengths. Macrae's strengths are his hands and movement through traffic. Bytel's look to be his kicking skills and he is supposedly an excellent runner.

Some frankly bizarre selections this week. Hopefully Mcrae isn't getting the Beveridges about him.
Huge game tonight. All on the line. A win really sets the season up for a massive tilt at back to backs.
A loss and the season is in jeopardy and serious questions will need to be asked.
I'll back em in. Pies by 7 points
Why are they bizarre? I like them.

What’s Sullivan’ additional spot - are you really going to say HBF or FWD where he’s played QTRs not games.

Last year the critics of Finn said that until he dominates in the VFL then he didn’t deserve promotion.
Now that’s he’s achieved that metric, the goal posts has shifted and he needs to have positional flexibility.

Ironically it’s his focus on ONE position that’s got his numbers up in the VFL to the numbers the critics wanted.

Give him time extended games in the middle at seniors level - if he doesn’t prove himself, then positional flexibility is completely irrelevant.

My comment about positional flexibility was in relation to you asking about his weaknesses. The issue isn't weaknesses - it's strengths. Kicking and athletic traits are pretty bloody handy in every role - if you don't have them at a high enough level to play on a flank, you have to be pretty outstanding at every other part of an inside mid's role.

The reality is that most decent mids have the attributes to play on a flank and those who don't have really elite inside skills. Does he have the strengths?

Last edited:

Now that’s he’s achieved that metric, the goal posts has shifted and he needs to have positional flexibility.

Give him time extended games in the middle at seniors level - if he doesn’t prove himself, then positional flexibility is completely irrelevant.
Don't convince us. Get on to the selectors. We're just the meat in the sandwich like you.

This is all I've been saying the entire time

At least give the kid a BLOCK of games at Senior Level to try and prove something.

"We're selecting to win games" (not you, others say this)

Mate, if selecting Fin costs us games, then we have FAR bigger issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't have to take a public swing at Fly on the way out the door. He can keep his sooking to himself.
Don't think he had a sook. Just told it from his pov. Interview the coaches on the podcast and they will have their opinion.
Truth is probably somewhere between.
One of those things were people have a radically different interpretation of events

Good on Adams for getting a longer contract.

But why does he have to keep banging on about it? Particularly if he's so happy with his decision & he eventually got what he wanted?

And why does his story change, everytime he opens his mouth?

I was fine with his reasons for moving, but he's giving me the shits with his perpetual moaning.

Given Harrison's inclusion as a starter tonight, it wouldn't surprise me to see Beau line up in the middle early.

Sullivan has come in for Mitchell. Beau is probably the closest we have to JDG outside of Crisp and Pendles. Maynard could be the other, however he's not as quick as Beau.

Don't think he had a sook. Just told it from his pov. Interview the coaches on the podcast and they will have their opinion.
Truth is probably somewhere between.
One of those things were people have a radically different interpretation of events
Talk about it all you like with your family and friends. Don't burn bridges or air dirty laundry. It was a dig and an unnecessary one. He did play his role well. That was not wind being blown up his arse. He would have played that role in a premiership team if his body hadn't broken down yet again when we most needed him.

My comment about positional flexibility was in relation to you asking about his weaknesses. The issue isn't weaknesses - it's strengths. Kicking and athletic traits are pretty bloody handy in every role - if you don't have them at a high enough level to play on a flank, you have to be pretty outstanding at every other part of an inside mid's role.
He’s reached an outstanding level as a mid in the VFL - which everyone wanted.
His “weakness” is NOT a weakness if his mid game is not of a high enough level in the seniors. It becomes completely irrelevant because he won’t make it.

But we don’t have answer to the later until he gets 3-4 games consecutive games.

If he gets similar numbers in the seniors as he does in the VFL, no one will be talking about positional flexibility.

Given Harrison's inclusion as a starter tonight, it wouldn't surprise me to see Beau line up in the middle early.

Sullivan has come in for Mitchell. Beau is probably the closest we have to JDG outside of Crisp and Pendles. Maynard could be the other, however he's not as quick as Beau.
I think Noble is going to be given more midfield and wing tonight due to Markov coming in. I can see us roliing quite a few through the middle tonight just to keep Carlton guessing

His “weakness” is NOT a weakness if his mid game is not of a high enough level in the seniors. It becomes completely irrelevant because he won’t make it.

But we don’t have answer to the later until he gets 3-4 games consecutive games.

If he gets similar numbers in the seniors as he does in the VFL, no one will be talking about positional flexibility.
Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around Fin. The club obviously feels he is limited atm as to his ability to play the role that want him to play. Fin could get 100 possesions a week in the VFL but if they don't think he can play the role they have for him, he won't get a game. Playing him for 3 or 4 games in a row is all about fin and not the greater good of the side.

I think Noble is going to be given more midfield and wing tonight due to Markov coming in. I can see us roliing quite a few through the middle tonight just to keep Carlton guessing
Noble remains entirely underwhelming to me. Poor decision-maker and disposer of the ball, who is limited physically which impedes his tackling ability.

I can't question his effort and application, however to me he's a limited AFL-standard player who suits the sub role well, but nothing more.

I think you're looking too much at stats. He's a very good footballer, but he doesn't really have the strengths for an AFL role yet. Runs and kicks like an inside mid, but plays more like a linkman - without enough skill or pace for that at AFL. I don't think the coaches need to see him at AFL for a block of games to know that he's not quite right yet. His hands are clean and he spreads well from a contest, but he's got to improve his work at the coal face - he's still too reactive to be an AFL mid with his athletic traits and skills. Hopefully it comes, but it's not there yet and may never be.

Noble remains entirely underwhelming to me. Poor decision-maker and disposer of the ball, who is limited physically which impedes his tackling ability.

I can't question his effort and application, however to me he's a limited AFL-standard player who suits the sub role well, but nothing more.
I'm not denying any of that but I think they will try it. Chaos balls into the forward 50 are right up Nobles alley

Lets not worry about fin right now. The coaches know more than anyone what they are doing and teaching him, and he is eager to improve and get better. They would be talking to him about what he needs to improve in his game to get more opportunity.
His time will come again, just will keep working at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back