Preview Round 9, 2023: Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Sunday 14th May, 1:10PM AEST *SINCLAIR 150TH*

Who Wins?

• Crows

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 40 52.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's going to be a very interesting week at the selection table with the possible return of The King.

Caminiti also returns to the frame after a 3 week suspension.

In the VFL, Marcus Windhager was the only stand out for the Zebras, ending the game with 27 touches and a goal.

Gresham and Marshall look likely to still be available after finishing the North game on ice.

we have a few options in the forward line fo rthis week. it was pretty dysunctional against North. Maybe becuase there was no stay at home forward, and the maligned Cordyplayed in the 2s

Options for replaced by King: Sharman or Phillipou.

Options for Marshall if he doesn't get up: Tom Campbell.

Options for Gresham if he doesn't get up: Bytel, Windhager or Billings.

Just finished a hypnotherapy session. I'm hoping the boys are all fresh after the bye we had this weekend.

This will be the toughest selection committee so far this season with some big decisions to make. The team has picked itself mostly in rounds 1-8 due to injuries and suspensions.

Hopefully King comes straight back in, Crows will bring a lot of pressure and we might be forced into some untidier / longer bombs inside 50 at times, it will be great to have him provide a better contest and bring a lot more to the ground for Butler, Higgins and Gresham.

Agree with the comments we are looking worse with Membrey in the side at the moment. I'd lean towards giving him another week with King in the forward line to see how he goes without the best defender on him. It comes down to Sharman vs Caminiti as to who plays the other tall role. I reckon although Sharman had a good game, Caminiti's style of play will suit this game a lot better crashing into packs and causing more chaos.

I can't see Billings getting back into the team at this stage, he is a good player but I just don't know where we'd play him, there are better options in all the positions that he would play and I don't want to sacrifice the development of a younger player to get him back in.

The Adelaide board makes for very interesting reading. One of the first posts I saw on the game was calling for 5-6 changes and I thought they were taking the piss, but it soon became apparent that they weren’t, as there were numerous others like it to come.

So while they have some primo top-end talent in their team, it seems like they don’t bat anywhere near as deep right down to the 22nd man as we do, as we’re struggling to work out who to drop for King/Caminiti, while they want up to 5 guys out of their team.

There were also calls for either Fogarty (who they reckon is struggling with a knee) or Tex to be rested, and Thilthorp to be dropped, as they haven’t been going well of late.

This game almost feels like a free hit, as we’ve played well above expectations and have GWS and Hawthorn to follow, and one of (if not the easiest) draws to come, so it would be awesome if we were to get the W here as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember in 2020 (I think) when Paton was one of the more underrated lock down defenders for the small forwards? He hasn't been up to it since he broke his leg. If he could though I'd love to see him shut down Rankine.

hes been underwhelming :(

need webster back

King and Caminiti for Membrey and Sharman (unfortunately, thought he played well)

Windhager and Billings the only two up for selection from the two's I reckon.

Not a happy hunting ground, Adelaide Oval. Won’t get away with not being mentally switched on, but Ross should take care of that. Even so, I think it’s a loss coming. Hoping King gets selected and through unscathed.

This is could our toughest test yet. Adelaide can score quickly and heavily so not only will the backline be up against it but the forward line will need to come to the party.

King has to come in. Torn on who will go out between Sharman and Membrey. Membrey was poor yesterday but would be better playing his natural role and not on someone 13cm taller than him? Sharman's game was better but the old adage 'last in, first out' could come into play. I'd guess this will be the biggest debate at match committee this week.

If Gresh has any doubts, Billings come in for him. Otherwise, JB as the sub.

Wilkie was outstanding on Walker last year - will need that from him again. Key to the match will be stopping Dawson and I think Steele is our best bet at doing that.

Tex wont get a rest
Somehow manages to pull something out his ass against us most times

Im very wary this week
They can play good footy and when they get momentum at home they get a roll on with the crowd and umps

Tough game

Yeah Tex is like Dixon or Hawkins, the strong guys always seem to do well against Howard. Will need team defence to have any chance of stopping him.

Skunk was very good in the first quarter of his first game back, but has been 2020-like ever since, so on performance he honestly should be the one to make way for either Max or Hammer.

Would be a big call to drop him, but Sharman was much better than he’s generally been going. If we bring back both Max and Hammer they probably won’t have much choice though. Both Tim and Coops will go.

Will be a big call.

Honestly unless Skunk is right at his best he’s now pretty much surplus to requirements, if everyone else is fit and available, as we now have Owens and to a lesser extent Pou who are that medium sized guy who can clunk marks, plus we also have Wood who we can swing up there, so we’re probably better off with the two much taller guys in Max and Hammer, the two medium-talls in Owens and Pou, and then the midget-brigade.

Unless Skunk is right back to his best, which he clearly isn’t right now.

King in if fit. It would be very rough to drop Sharman given he was one of our better performed, so I'd say Membrey out.

Paton looks a shell of his former self but Jimmy is the only like-for-like.

Seb was very quiet but he has credits in the bank.

Would love to see Hammer back but can't see how we shift the magnets around enough to make it happen.

Adelaide are the favourites which hopefully brings out our best, we tend to play better as underdogs rather than favourites like we were against North.

Obviously King returning will bolster our chances and possibly Caminiti back in as well, hopefully Marshall is good to go as we will need him against ROB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back