Running newbie (any help appreciated)

Remove this Banner Ad

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I couldn't find a general running thread so I though I'd create a new thread. Feel free to merge if there's an appropriate thread that I've missed.

I'm in year 12 and am pretty busy with school. I get up at 6am and get home from school at 5pm. I generally like to relax or do homework from 7pm until about 10pm and then I go to sleep.

I have a period between 5-6pm (when I have tea) that I don't do anything and want to use that timeslot to get into shape.

How far do you think I would have to run daily at a moderate intensity to lose weight? I'm 167cm and 76kg, if that makes a difference. I'm pretty new at fitness so any help is appreciated. :)

Cheers. How long do you think I'd have to do this for each time to see some results?
You can't really look at this sort of thing (getting in shape) with a view to just do temporarily, until you get there or you're wasting your time and you haven't learnt anything, nor will you be able to sustain your results long term. Without trying to sound like a cliche' douche - How quickly you reach your goals depends on your commitment to your goals. Same thing goes with your diet, as Syphoncom mentioned.

You can't really look at this sort of thing (getting in shape) with a view to just do temporarily, until you get there or you're wasting your time and you haven't learnt anything, nor will you be able to sustain your results long term. Without trying to sound like a cliche' douche - How quickly you reach your goals depends on your commitment to your goals. Same thing goes with your diet, as Syphoncom mentioned.

Oh, I'm aware. I just don't want to be doing a workout that won't give me any results until 2016. While I don't want to stress myself, I'd like to be able to see at least some results by the end of the year.

Agree on the HIIT.

Doing some basic weights will help too - you will put on weight at first but the increased muscle mass will raise your resting metabolism.

Most important is diet. It really is. Increased exercise can increase appetite - you need to make sure you eat well and leave out crap food. No soft drink, chips, iced coffees, etc. Honestly, if you don't focus on the diet side as well the rest of it is a waste of time.

You want to lose weight or put on muscle?

The fact you're talking about running to get fit tells me you're looking at losing fat rather than putting on muscle.

And, to be blunt, losing weight for the majority of humans is purely scientific.

The reason why this is important is because you can work out for yourself exactly how quick you'll get the results (the only caveat being how much muscle wastage you'll have to endure).

Losing fat is my main goal. Muscle doesn't mean a whole lot to me. My end goal is 70kg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW i'm also about 167cm's. 4 years ago I was 95kg's.

95-80kg's: token calorie reducing, middle aged women enticing, yoyo dieters haven business :p (jogged)
80-72kg's: vegetable juicing (went vego) (got into MMA/BJJ)
72-66kg's: explored paleo & LCHF fundamentals, intermittent fasting methods (purely train BJJ)
Sitting around 68kgs at the moment

Cheers everyone for your help. :)

Sprint for 30sec - 90sec rest , repeat x 8-10.
3 minute warm up.

This can also be done on an exercise bike with a medium resistance level.

Just a bit of an update, I've been running less due to the cold here in Tassie but I've been doing the Tabata workout as mentioned above with a dumbell routine and it's killing me, in a good way! ;)

Gets the heart pumping and I feel great. Thanks to those that recommended Tabata!

I once heard weight loss summed up beautifully - 'eat well and move.'

I'm going to offer my advice even though it looks like you're already onto something... Just find some sort of exercise you enjoy. (or a bunch of exercises/programs/whatever that you enjoy of course).

Also running's underrated - you can do it anytime, costs nothing and there's heaps of events you can enter to keep you motivated and breaking PBs. Anyone who says you can't lose weight running doesn't know what they're talking about. Enter a fun run, you won't see many fat people.

And don't get too caught up in details too early (for some reason gym people always want to tell you how much weight, how many sets, how many reps, the way the to hold your wrist, how long they can hold a plank, what supps they're on.... It's 90% bullshit.) Beyond learning how to do movements safely just do whatever suits you. If you enjoy it you'll refine it to a fine art.

Main thing to focus on for starters is just showing up and putting in some effort.

Running is a great idea and you should absolutely do it. It will improve your health and according to some researches running stimulates good mood :) So I see only positive things about running. The only thing is that you should be careful with how much you run, I mean that the more you run, the more calories you burn and thus the more hungry you get. So 20-40 minutes would be fine for a beginning runner :)

Running is a great idea and you should absolutely do it. It will improve your health and according to some researches running stimulates good mood :) So I see only positive things about running. The only thing is that you should be careful with how much you run, I mean that the more you run, the more calories you burn and thus the more hungry you get. So 20-40 minutes would be fine for a beginning runner :)

Clearly a bot or autistic.

Running is best idea to weight loss. It is also helpful to keep your body fit and healthy. I think 20 minutes are enough for beginner to start running in early morning for few days and then increases the time duration, because for beginners its more important that they should start slowly their routine to make their body habitual of running and workouts. Otherwise it can have harmful effects also.

Running is best for good mood and fast running. Always ensure you are safety careful when running because 20 minutes a day is best for prioritise calories which will lead to maximum heart rate. Hope you enjoy. Running is fun with moderation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back