Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Goal for tomorrow's Parkrun isn't a PB, but to get 1km under 4.00

If I can succeed in that, I'll start striving for that everytime and look towards making 2 x sub 4.00 min/kms.

If I can do that the overall times will start coming down on their own.

This is my current 5km PB and the fastest km within that was 4:07 so I need to peel a little off that.

Geez it's been a while since I've posted in here...forgot it existed!

How's the running going? Anyone signed up for Melbourne Marathon this year?

Doing the HM at the Run Melbourne in July but haven't entered anything beyond that at this point.

How about yourself mate?

If anyone is looking for a practice race before the Run Melbourne Half Marathon, the Como Landing (South Yarra) 7/14/Half Mara is on next Sunday and the Albert Park 5/10/Half is on 21 June. I have done the Como Landing half the last two years but am I bit underdone at the moment so will try Albert Park this year. Both races are run by Sri Chinmoy so they are cheap and you get free pancakes after the race!

Doing the HM at the Run Melbourne in July but haven't entered anything beyond that at this point.

How about yourself mate?
Entered in the full again - i have unfinished business with it after a disaster last year....just gotta get over another ITB flare up and the training will start....considering using MM as a training run for the Marysville 50k. I think it's about 4 weeks after Melbourne so will be an ideal prep run if i do decide to do Marysville 50. Will wait and see how the training comes along, and specifically how i recover from this ITB sillyness!

Goal for tomorrow's Parkrun isn't a PB, but to get 1km under 4.00

If I can succeed in that, I'll start striving for that everytime and look towards making 2 x sub 4.00 min/kms.

If I can do that the overall times will start coming down on their own.

This is my current 5km PB and the fastest km within that was 4:07 so I need to peel a little off that.

I went out under 4 a couple of 5ks and then i didnt quite get near my best which is not quite near yours anyway

been looking to hold back a little on k 1 for a change

I tend to like banking as much time as i can and go out too fast and try to hold on, was easy when my pbs were poor after weight loss and was just smashing them

Entered in the full again - i have unfinished business with it after a disaster last year....just gotta get over another ITB flare up and the training will start....considering using MM as a training run for the Marysville 50k. I think it's about 4 weeks after Melbourne so will be an ideal prep run if i do decide to do Marysville 50. Will wait and see how the training comes along, and specifically how i recover from this ITB sillyness!

Obviously not sure what base you're coming off but how much prep do you need for a full marathon?

I was thinking beyond the HM in July that a full may still be possible at the MM, but is 10 weeks (rough guess) enough to get the required miles in to make that large a jump?

Having said that, even if it is, I'm not sure I have the time to put in the required kms anyway..........or whether my body could handle it. I still seize up quite often when I start getting out to 15km+.

I went out under 4 a couple of 5ks and then i didnt quite get near my best which is not quite near yours anyway

been looking to hold back a little on k 1 for a change

I tend to like banking as much time as i can and go out too fast and try to hold on, was easy when my pbs were poor after weight loss and was just smashing them

Yeah I'm thinking of just trying to get into a 4.10-4.15 rhythm for the few first kms and trying to smash that 4.00 minute km on one of the final 2 kms - assuming I have something left.

The other option is to try and break it in km 1 but the worry is then getting the wobbly legs for the rest of the run.

Yeah I'm thinking of just trying to get into a 4.10-4.15 rhythm for the few first kms and trying to smash that 4.00 minute km on one of the final 2 kms - assuming I have something left.

The other option is to try and break it in km 1 but the worry is then getting the wobbly legs for the rest of the run.

with park run the more I go i figure its a good place to try things

like go out even 3 40 pace and if you conk out so what

then you get out and there and think ohh better not dont want to have to stop or get a bad time

feels like when i do it slower on purpose i need to explain to the finishing people, oh hey i can go a lot faster i am just training.

with your pb MinerBoy you finish almost as quick as you start, so you got plenty there, you could probably easily push a 3 55 k first and then hold on the rest of the ks and get under 21 comfortably

my 5k pb is 21 23

but i went

4:14
4:13
4:14
4:12
4:28

i didnt have anything left that day

Well I got one sub 4.00 minute km. Went for the start hard tactic and did the first in 3:56....paid for it later as I got progressively slower though.

Finished with 4:15, 4:16, 4:22 and 4:20.

Overall 5km time was 21:10 so managed a PB for 5km to go with it. Recovered quickly afterwards but though I was going to spew as I crossed the finish.

Wondering how low I can take it now and whether breaking sub 20:00 at some point is realistic.

Well I got one sub 4.00 minute km. Went for the start hard tactic and did the first in 3:56....paid for it later as I got progressively slower though.

Finished with 4:15, 4:16, 4:22 and 4:20.

Overall 5km time was 21:10 so managed a PB for 5km to go with it. Recovered quickly afterwards but though I was going to spew as I crossed the finish.

Wondering how low I can take it now and whether breaking sub 20:00 at some point is realistic.

Saw on strava great effort mate

Your park run is out and then back past the start and back? Get congested?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw on strava great effort mate

Your park run is out and then back past the start and back? Get congested?
Yeah cheers mate.

Yeah the run kind of loops around the same part of the foreshore. It's a 1.4 km stretch from one end to the other so it's almost 2 full loops. Only really congested at the start but once you get through the first few hundred metres it's pretty good. A pretty decent path.

I think we had about 60 odd runners today and the most I've seen there was about 100.

Last edited:
Yeah cheers mate.

Yeah the run kind of loops around the same part of the foreshore. It's a 1.4 km stretch from one end to the other so it's almost 2 full loops. Only really congested at the start but once you get through the first few hundred metres it's pretty good. A pretty decent path.

I think we had about 60 odd runners today and the most I've seen there was about 100.

Not bad ours is getting 230-250 a week so getting crowded

Hobart gets 30-50 a week

Obviously not sure what base you're coming off but how much prep do you need for a full marathon?

I was thinking beyond the HM in July that a full may still be possible at the MM, but is 10 weeks (rough guess) enough to get the required miles in to make that large a jump?

Having said that, even if it is, I'm not sure I have the time to put in the required kms anyway..........or whether my body could handle it. I still seize up quite often when I start getting out to 15km+.

First Mara I went with a 16 week lead up - long run starting at I think 12km from memory. 2nd mara I went with 12 weeks with long run starting at 16k. But I got sick 3-4 weeks out so I missed out on some quality long runs. My plan this time would be 12 week plan. 6 weeks of pure base building with long runs between 21-28km. I'd then use 4 weeks of sharpening, where during the week I'd introduce some tempo runs and intervals and the long runs on the weekend would be minimum 28k. The focus of these would be finishing strong, so trying (not necessarily achieving) to negative split, and be looking at running something like 0km-21km @ 5:20/km, 21-25 @ 5:00/km, 25+ @ < 5:00/km. This is in a goal to go 3:30-3:45 marathon. But with a further knee setback on the weekend, this is all pie in the sky. I need to get running to get my base up to 21k.

I think you can finish a marathon on 10 weeks prep yes, but you may not do it well. There's an awful lot to learn on the long runs. In my last training block I found I was hitting 28km without any issues really, but then all hell would break loose between 28k-30k. It's amazing how quickly you can go from feeling great to feeling terrible.

First Mara I went with a 16 week lead up - long run starting at I think 12km from memory. 2nd mara I went with 12 weeks with long run starting at 16k. But I got sick 3-4 weeks out so I missed out on some quality long runs. My plan this time would be 12 week plan. 6 weeks of pure base building with long runs between 21-28km. I'd then use 4 weeks of sharpening, where during the week I'd introduce some tempo runs and intervals and the long runs on the weekend would be minimum 28k. The focus of these would be finishing strong, so trying (not necessarily achieving) to negative split, and be looking at running something like 0km-21km @ 5:20/km, 21-25 @ 5:00/km, 25+ @ < 5:00/km. This is in a goal to go 3:30-3:45 marathon. But with a further knee setback on the weekend, this is all pie in the sky. I need to get running to get my base up to 21k.

I think you can finish a marathon on 10 weeks prep yes, but you may not do it well. There's an awful lot to learn on the long runs. In my last training block I found I was hitting 28km without any issues really, but then all hell would break loose between 28k-30k. It's amazing how quickly you can go from feeling great to feeling terrible.

Yep happened to me twice now 27thk im thinking wow on track here feel ok, not far to go, then suddenly at 28 k your body wont listen and its struggle street

Lol, you guys aren't selling me the motivation to give it a go. Haha.

yeah but once you have run a marathon you can walk around like your farts dont stink

commands instant respect with other runners :p

yeah but once you have run a marathon you can walk around like your farts dont stink

commands instant respect with other runners :p
haha....my problem is once I ran a marathon, i wanted to do more!!!! Even though I completely bonked out on both attempts, I still wanna do more, and REALLY wanna do some ultras.

Trail running is even better!

haha....my problem is once I ran a marathon, i wanted to do more!!!! Even though I completely bonked out on both attempts, I still wanna do more, and REALLY wanna do some ultras.

Trail running is even better!

Cant get into trial running, hurts my ankle.

Yeah its odd but you can visualise after a marathon where you can make up time, during the 30-42k i was like never again

as more time passes im keen to go again

I found it took a bit of time to run well again though but thats probably just me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back