Russel re-signs with the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

parrot said:
Williams was determined to pick him up in the PSD to revenge the loss of Nick Stevens for zip. Williams well documented bitter attitude has cost Port yet again. :)
Its interesting you say that - given the direct quote from Ports Peter Rhode in this article that states:

Power football operations manager Peter Rohde yesterday made no commitment on Russell.

"We'd like to think Jordan will be there at No. 5, but who knows?" said Rohde, whose club will call at the pre-season draft after Carlton, Essendon, the Kangaroos and Brisbane.

And who knows what else there will be in the pre-season draft pool who might interest us."

Now if Port was going all-out to snare Russell in the PSSD dont you think we would assure him - privately and publically that we intended to pick him up with our 5th pick ?

Malibu#27 said:
Now if Port was going all-out to snare Russell in the PSSD dont you think we would assure him - privately and publically that we intended to pick him up with our 5th pick ?
Well that quote from Rohde certainly explains Russell's decision. I guess we really didn't have much interest in him at all...expecting anyone to nominate for the PSD without assurances is pie-in-the-sky.

Oh well. I was expecting Russell to join Port, he was so serious about it. I guess Carlton told him that he either has to re-sign with the club, or they will just re-draft him. Seems to me he had no choice in the matter.

I don't know why there are Carlton fans who come on here and always bring up Stevens like there was some big fight between the clubs and we won.

We were the lucky recipients of a decent player due to Collingwoods stupidity and Port's resolve to not bow to another club.

At this stage Russell isn't worth bragging about him chosin one club over another, maybe in 3 years time it will seem like a win but at present it's very much a "that's nice dear".

AndSmithMustScore said:
at present it's very much a "that's nice dear".
Precisely

Troy Wingate said:
Oh well. I was expecting Russell to join Port, he was so serious about it. I guess Carlton told him that he either has to re-sign with the club, or they will just re-draft him. Seems to me he had no choice in the matter.
Because you have so much inside information on what's going on at Carlton... :rolleyes:

AndSmithMustScore said:
I don't know why there are Carlton fans who come on here and always bring up Stevens like there was some big fight between the clubs and we won.

We were the lucky recipients of a decent player due to Collingwoods stupidity and Port's resolve to not bow to another club.

At this stage Russell isn't worth bragging about him chosin one club over another, maybe in 3 years time it will seem like a win but at present it's very much a "that's nice dear".

Well summed up. Obviously, the disgruntlement at Carlton wasn't as big a deal as hyped up, with the length of contract saying a lot.

AndSmithMustScore said:

Give the Carlton supporters some slack. Their team doesn't win games, so unless you let them win the odd argument they'd have no reason for being.

Don't worry about missing out of Russell, he gets the ball out of a pack with a rake.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Give the Carlton supporters some slack. Their team doesn't win games.....
...and Hawthorn does? As for giving Carlton supporters slack I'm not aware anyone is doing anything else, bar some *** for tat stuff. They did very well in this situation.

addit: ***! it wouldn't let me type t*i*t :rolleyes:

we didnt even need him...why all the fuss?
this draft has players at pick 23(our 2nd rd pick) that are better than russel. we've lost nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DSL64 said:
Just heard on SEN, Jordan Russell has agreed to term with Carlton.
Contract for 2 years...

Could have been different if you guys had have done better than 39, but that's all you were going to offer.

Carlton even said it would try to accomodate Russells wishes if the right trade came around

gandaal said:
Pick 23 isn't fair for a 19 year old top 10 draft pick with two year of AFL experience behind him :rolleyes:

This mentality is why your club has been rotting down the bottom so long.
You trash your draft pricks by stupid decisions then rate a player by his draft pick and not his value.
I guess Livingstone is worth a top 4 pick as well?

Certainly wouldn't have registered much of an earth tremor at the club, based on Rohde's uncommitted stance on the kid on Sunday.

Let's try to target some stronger, hard-at-the-contest players during this year's drafting much as we did with Thomas, Lower and Bentley last year.

The Floodbuster said:
This mentality is why your club has been rotting down the bottom so long.
You trash your draft pricks by stupid decisions then rate a player by his draft pick and not his value.
I guess Livingstone is worth a top 4 pick as well?
7 seasons later. No. But then I never claimed Russell was worth pick 9 at this point either after two years despite how stupid it seems. But if the player isn't Judd or Murphy that's just football. :rolleyes:

HugeBluesFan said:
Could have been different if you guys had have done better than 39, but that's all you were going to offer.

Agreed HBF. We felt trading pick 23 was offering too much, and Carlton felt pick 39 was not enough. I am guessing that the fringe players offered with pick 39 didn't interest Carlton, and nor could we find a suitable trade to bring pick 39 down to an earlier pick that would have satisifed Carlton.

A bit dissatisfying perhaps for all parties, but ultimately no-one lost out and hopefully for you Russel will develop into a handy regular player.

TheFridge said:
Agreed HBF. We felt trading pick 23 was offering too much, and Carlton felt pick 39 was not enough. I am guessing that the fringe players offered with pick 39 didn't interest Carlton, and nor could we find a suitable trade to bring pick 39 down to an earlier pick that would have satisifed Carlton.

A bit dissatisfying perhaps for all parties, but ultimately no-one lost out and hopefully for you Russel will develop into a handy regular player.
You never offered pick 39. You offered a fourth rounder. Regardless neither was good enough.

gandaal said:
You never offered pick 39. You offered a fourth rounder. Regardless neither was good enough.

We offered pick 39 alright ....... straight from the horses mouth (Peter Rhode) ... unless of course yuo are calling him a liar.

Doesn't matter now, apparently Russell after realising we couldn't guarantee that we would pick him up in the PSD decided to remain a blue. How does it feel being a fall-back position.

Russell, who had wanted away to Port Adelaide, began to doubt the strength of Port's affections. He agreed yesterday to a new two-year contract that will be signed officially this morning.

blackdiamond said:
As said before - nothing lost, nothing gained.

Carlton have had a few of the Camporeale type who just like playing the system for a bit more money - if anything its Carltons loss not ours.

Nice spin. But the fact is Russell has something that your list badly needs - youth, pace and talent. A missed opportunity for Port. A huge win for the Blues. :)

Malibu#27 said:
We offered pick 39 alright ....... straight from the horses mouth (Peter Rhode) ... unless of course yuo are calling him a liar.....[/I]

Russell's manager said that Port had told him that they were confident that the teams ahead of them in the PSD were not going to pick Russell in the PSD, because of his desire to go back to S.A. That is why Port did not trade. Williams thought he could get Russell for zip. Russell obviously had a change of heart after Port's behaviour and speaking with Sticks and co. Port only have themselves to blame. :)

parrot said:
Nice spin. But the fact is Russell has something that your list badly needs - youth, pace and talent. A missed opportunity for Port. A huge win for the Blues. :)

You obviously watch Port as closely as I watch Carlton. The difference is that I don't go on the Carlton Board and post ridiculous, uneducated statements like that.

Do your research first next time parrot.

parrot said:
Russell's manager said that Port had told him that they were confident that the teams ahead of them in the PSD were not going to pick Russell in the PSD, because of his desire to go back to S.A. That is why Port did not trade. Williams thought he could get Russell for zip. Russell obviously had a change of heart after Port's behaviour and speaking with Sticks and co. Port only have themselves to blame. :)

We did attempt to trade - we offered you 39 .... we were not going to give up 23 for him.... its simple we didnt think he was worth 23. But his apparent willingness to go to PSD was part of the reason why we didnt offer over the odds. (its a simple case that our clubs had different expectations of what he was worth)

For the record it was Russells manager that spoke to the other clubs about picking him up PSD. Port stance was they were non-comittal as can be seen from Rhode indicating we had offered him no guarantee we would pick him up if he was available in the PSD.

Regardless we are happy - and you are happy, hes re-signed with you ... for a handy pay increase not doubt.... but hes still re-signed I suppose :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back