Retired #51: Ryan Crowley- Should be available Round 17 - 5/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends week to week for me. I'd have him tagging against Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn, North, Port, Sydney, West Coast but playing as an inside mid against Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Richmond and St. Kilda.

Always tag Deledio.

image.jpg

I am delighted that Essendon have picked up Ryan. This is a very sensible move and I think you will soon see the value.

As a regular attendee at Freo training sessions over the years, one of the things that stood out about Crowls is the amount of time he spends with fans and kids after sessions.
It was nothing for him to have a kick to kick with some youngsters and have a chat with fans long after other players had gone in for showers.

Ryan is a genuine nice bloke and very hard trainer: probably a key factor in Worsfold getting him.
Somebody posted a photo earlier in the thread of Ryan training with Essendon. You will notice that he is niggling or holding a teammate during training ; For Ryan it is you train like you play and he will impart that ethic to your young players, even your older guys.
I don't think that approach to training would have been lost on John Worsfold.

As other Freo members have stated, Crowley offers much more than a mere tagger having kicked bags as a forward in his early days.

I wish him good luck and I will be watching Bombers games purely to follow his progress.
And another thing, wait til you see his woman. FMD.

Depends week to week for me. I'd have him tagging against Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn, North, Port, Sydney, West Coast but playing as an inside mid against Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Richmond and St. Kilda.
Leaving Hanley and Deledio without a tag is just asking for trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hocking never really negated players to the extent where they were ineffective over the 4 quarters. Not convinced we'll be using Crowley purely as a stopper.

What other options do we really have?

It's like some think we can take any AFL player.
May as well throw Mitch Golby or Nick O'Brien a lifeline, see how they go. Still relatively young. Those are the types of players I expect Bombers to pick up. It's not going to win you any games but worth a crack at trying to unlock potential. Not old mans Crowley jogging around the park.

May as well throw Mitch Golby or Nick O'Brien a lifeline, see how they go. Still relatively young. Those are the types of players I expect Bombers to pick up. It's not going to win you any games but worth a crack at trying to unlock potential. Not old mans Crowley jogging around the park.
You have to protect the kids to an extent, though. People like O'Brien and Golby can't do that.

I know I'm slow on the the uptake (busy with real life at the moment), but popped in to say congrats on picking Crowley up. If we didn't have such an excess of pretty good quality middle of the park utilities, I reckon he would have still been on our list. Though he's not going to be the calibre of those stars you lost through the recent ban, he's definitely worthy of being on a list. He has a body a year or two younger in terms of AFL years than his age and he's a consummate professional. He'll be a good addition to your team both on the field and behind the scenes - he'll lift the mood of anybody feeling a bit shitty about recent events, no doubt about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back