Past Sam 'Horse' Michael (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 96 in the 2011 Rookie Draft (Qld zone selection)

sammichael.jpg

Summary:

* Northern Conference Under 21 State Squad (#50)
* 2012 review (#107)

Sam Michael

The Lion's write-up:

19 year-old, 196cm Sam Michael from Redland was Pick 96 with a QLD Zone Selectoin. He is a former AIS-AFL Academy Squad member who has represented Queensland at the U18 Championships, he presents another potential key position prospect, but says he enjoys playing the mobile-type ruck role that Collingwood's Leigh Brown made popular in 2010.

Re: Sam Michael

Knightmare's Rookie Draft

#58 Brisbane - Sam Michael (QLD – KPP/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 05/07/1993
Recruited from: Redland
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Profile: Strong key position player. Good size. Strong mark overhead. Looks like a potential no.2 ruck option and looks allot more competitive and comfortable in the ruck than he does as a key position player interesting.Probably hasn’t backed up some of the form we saw at last years U18 champs which is why I see him sliding. Also is lacking in pace which hasn’t helped him as a KPP. Also lacks AFL IQ and doesn’t really have that awareness so whenever he gets it just kicks as long as he can hoping one of his team mates get on the end of it. From what I have heard Michael is a hard worker and prepares well so perhaps he could be a solid rookie option for a club who give him an opportunity.

Chris25's NSW/TAS/NT Rookie Draft

#9 Western Bulldogs – Sam Michael (196cm ruckman - Redlands)

A big 19 year old kid from Queensland, Michael has long been around the mark but perhaps hasn't quite lived up the expectations on him. But he has performed pretty well in the NEAFL this year as ruckman/forward. He moves well which is why he has success playing in the middle, but can take a strong grab too. Will need to develop his game either forward or back at AFL level.

Sam Michael Picked for AIS Academy

Redland youngster Sam Michael has been picked for the 2010 AFL/AIS Academy. Michael is one of just 30 talented under 18 players from right across the country chosen for the squad.

The full 2010 AIS-AFL Academy Squad is as follows:
Vic Country: Devon Smith (Geelong / Lara), Lachie Whitfield (Dandenong / Mt Martha), Matthew Buntine (Dandenong / Berwick), Jake Stringer (Bendigo / Eaglehawk), Jeremy Cameron (Nth Ballarat / Dartmoor), Todd Elton (Dandenong / Somerville)
Vic Metro: Jonathan O’Rourke (Calder Cannons/ Gisborne), Rory Atkins (Calder Cannons/Maribyrnong Park), Will Hoskin-Elliot (Western Jets) Nick Vlastuin (Northern Knights/Eltham), Matthew Haynes (Northern Knights/Yarrambat), Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh Chargers / Trinity), Liam McBean (Calder Cannons/Aberfeldie), Joe Daniher (Calder Cannons/Aberfeldie), Elliot Kavanagh (Western Jets / PEGS)
NSW/ACT: Jacob Townsend (Leeton-Whitton)
South Australia: Jack Viney (North Adelaide/PAC), Sam Mayes (North Adelaide/Port FC), Joshua Growden (WWT/Snowtown), Brodie Grundy (Sturt/Unley FC)
Western Australia: Shannon Taylor (Claremont), Chris Yarran (Perth), Stephen Coniglio (Swan Districts / Upper Swan JFC), Jaeger O’Meara (Perth), Nathan Wilson (Peel Thunder)
Tasmania: Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy)
Northern Territory: Shaun Edwards (Saint Mary's)
Queensland: Brian Coleman-Broome (Morningside FC), Alex Sexton (Springwood FC), Sam Michael (Redland)

Sam Michael
DOB 5/7/93 Ht 200 Wt 93

After seeing Michael play earlier in the year I had pretty much written him off as a draftable prospect. It was clear that he didn't have the height to play ruck in the AFL and he was not a good enough key position to warrant consideration. Then a funny thing happened - I looked at the measures from the State Screening and Michael was listed not at 196 as I expected but at 199.5 cm. Those 3.5cm make a massive difference to the chances of him being drafted whether in the national draft or as a rookie. Suddenly Michael needs to be assessed as a legitimate ruck prospect and as a ruck he looks like a reasonable prospect.

Michael was a Cairns junior who moved to Brisbane last year and had a great year for Redlands last year and he was picked for the AIS. This year though he didn’t play much and when he did he was generally uninspiring. Even he himself conceded that he was too short to ruck at AFL level and so he played as a key position both the down back and up forward. He tried very hard and he had a few highlights but overall he seemed to lack the football nous to play as a key position. He lacked perhaps a little pace and did not react quickly enough at the back and struggled to get separation up forward. He has very nice hands in the marking contest but when the ball is constantly coming in on your head you cannot expect to consistently take marks against good opposition.

The best games he had this year were the few in which he played in the ruck. With Kolka and Cabrera in the team, Michael didn't get to do much ruck work at the Champs but with everything going south the Qld coaching staff finally threw him into the ruck against NT. The result was that Qld finally started to get their act together and Michael put in a best on ground in the Qld win. Similarly Michael played only his third game for Redlands this year in round 19 when he played as the number 1 ruck. Against an experienced Mt Gravatt rucking duo Michael was great and earned a NEAFL rising star nomination. He was superb in the ruck contest, provided great support around the ground and used the ball well.

As a ruckman, Michael gets to use his running ability more than he can as a key position. He gets to contests and offers himself as a link-up option. His contested marking is very good through the middle of the ground and he regularly influences play in a positive way for his team. His kicking still needs a fair bit of work and his decision making process was described to me as grabbing it and kicking it as far as he could. It is the lack of development in his football IQ that has concerned many and the fact that he looked to have regressed if anything this year playing as a key position.

I see Michael as a rookie prospect most probably. He is a strong aggressive player with good athleticism and who is a real professional off the field. He is meticulous with his preparation and recovery and he is always looking for ways to improve his game. The kid wants it bad and is prepared to do everything he can to make it. It's this kind of attitude which will encourage teams to give a marginal guy a chance. With his measure Michael can legitimately play ruck and that is a game changer for him.

6 Kookaburras Make State Team

Six Queensland Country Kookaburra players have been rewarded with selection in the U18 Queensland state team including local boys Jye Bohm and Sam Michael after their performances at the U18 State Championships last week.

Jye Bohm and Sam Michael, both versatile key position players, were standouts during the state titles playing at both ends of the field as well as spurts in the ruck. They have both recently relocated to Brisbane to pursue their football dreams and have become teammates at State League club Redlands.

The entire Queensland squad is:

South East Bushrangers
JOSH BRUEKERS MORNINGSIDE ADAM OXLEY REDLAND
LEON BOLLIGER-HA REDLAND
NATHAN REID ALEXANDRA HILLS
CHRIS WITTKOPP ALEXANDRA HILLS
TOM HICKEY MORNINGSIDE/ROOKIE

Western Taipans
CONRAD HUDGHTON KENMORE/WESTERN MAGPIES
RHYS TAGELL WESTS/UNIVERSITY
SAM USHERWOOD MT.GRAVATT
PETER YAGMOOR CAIRNS/KENMORE/MORNINGSIDE

Country Kookaburras
NATHANIAL CONGOO TOWNSVILLE
TIM HIGGINS CAPRICORNIA
JOSHUA SUGDEN TOOWOOMBA
SAM MICHAEL CAIRNS
JYE BOHM CAIRNS
MATTHEW STURGEON MACKAY

Northern Raiders
MICHAEL HUTCHINSON SANDGATE
BRENDAN COLCH SANDGATE

Gold Coast Stingrays
ADAM McKENZIE BROADBEACH
REGAN SALTER SOUTHPORT
RYAN KIEL SOUTHPORT
TOM FIELDS LABRADOR
DALTON TUCKER SOUTHPORT
JOEL WILKINSON BROADBEACH

Suncoast Power
AARON LASKEY NOOSA
JACKSON RYAN CALOUNDRA
BRAD SLATER ROOKIE SEARCH
EMMANUEL TUPIA PNG/SOUTHPORT

sammichaelf.jpg

He is listed anywhere between 196cm to 200cm. It would be good to get a definitive height so we can have a clear picture of where he belongs in the pecking order of our list.

Sam Michael Earns Rising Star Nomination

He did pre-season training with the Gold Coast Suns where he relished the chance to work alongside full-time professionals. “It was sensational – I loved being able to go over to a Nathan Bock and do some work with him, or whoever. It was great to be in such an organized program and I felt I really improved a lot in that short time,” he said.
Later, he toured Europe with the Academy squad alongside Bombers clubmate Alex Sexton and Morningside’s Brian Coleman-Broome before a mixed campaign with the Scorpions in the NAB Australian U18 Championships.
He’s seen little club football in such a busy year, and has played just three NEAFL games - for the Suns Reserves against NT Thunder in Cairns in Round 16, and for Redland against Tuggeranong in Canberra in Round 17 and Mt.Gravatt at Victoria Point in Round 19.
His effort against Mt.Gravatt last Saturday was outstanding and was rewarded with a nomination for the NAB NEAFL Rising Star Award (Northern Conference).
Even opposition coach David Lake was impressed with the Bombers’ No.1 ruckman.
“He was absolutely exceptional,” said Lake. “Ryan Head is no slouch and Matty Skubis has a real crack but he (Michael) was getting around the ground and giving us some real trouble.
“He was mobile, he was willing and he was clean, and he must have taken at least a dozen contested marks.
“I thought he was their best player and if you were an AFL recruiter the tape of his game would be an absolute must see.”

sammichael2.jpg

Cairns' Michael left lost without a home
Murray Wenzel
Saturday, November 26, 2011
© The Cairns Post

The 200cm giant, who played his junior football at Cairns club Manunda Hawks, was a leading draft prospect earlier in the year, but slipped off the radar as the big day loomed. Skiba said it was no reflection on Michael’s work ethic and attitude and he urged the 18-year-old to stay positive ahead of December’s second chance draw.
"He was pretty shattered, but I think he’s still a good chance (in the rookie draft)," Skiba said.
"Twelve months ago he seemed almost a certainty to be picked up, but he just didn’t lift on the field when he had to and the view going in was that he would only be an outside chance."

Rob Kerr

“We pre-selected Sam Michael because you don’t find too many 200cm players who can run 3km in 10 and half minutes. His U17 year was very good and he got the added benefit of being in the AIS-AFL Academy squad. He is a powerful big man who has never really settled down in one position.”

PICK NO.96 - SAM MICHAEL^
Recruited From: Redland, QLD
Position: Tall Forward / Ruckman
Height: 199cm
Weight: 93kg
DOB: 5/7/1993

^Queensland Priority Selection

sammichael.jpg

Rob Kerr

"He's a Queenslander. Sam is 200cm and has probably struggled to find a position, but his football as an under-17 in 2010 was very good and earned himself a spot in the AIS squad. We've got a player who is 200cm and athletically very talented - he ran the 3km in 10-and-a-half minutes; we just need to find the best position for him."

Link ....

19 year-old Sam Michael is a former AIS-AFL Academy Squad member who has represented Queensland at the U18 Championships.

At 196cm, he presents another potential key position prospect, but says he enjoys playing the mobile-type ruck role that Collingwood’s Leigh Brown made popular in 2010.

Michael was a member of Redland’s 2011 Reserves premiership side, but also gained some valuable senior NEAFL experience - earning a Rising Star nomination for his efforts in Round 19 against Mt Gravatt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is listed anywhere between 196cm to 200cm. It would be good to get a definitive height so we can have a clear picture of where he belongs in the pecking order of our list.
He officially measured 199.5 at the State Screening. Now they are not always 100% accurate but I would take that as being pretty close. Also look at the photos from Jorgo and you can see he is clearly taller than 195cm Clarke.

Meet the rookies
2:26 PM Tue 13 Dec, 2011

• Local Queenslander Sam Michael was born in Brisbane, but moved to Cairns aged six months and enjoyed an exciting all-sports background in North Queensland.

• He moved back to Brisbane in January 2010 and burst onto the AFL scene with a stellar first season with Redland Bombers in the local QAFL competition.

• He played a key role in Queensland’s U18 side in the National Championships, and was one of only 30 junior players to earn selection into the 2010 AIS/AFL Academy. It was the same squad intake as highly rated draftees Matthew Buntine, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Stephen Coniglio and Jaeger O’Meara.

• He went into 2011 as one of the State’s brightest prospects and was invited to join the Gold Coast Suns’ pre-season training where he relished the chance to work alongside full-time professionals.

• A tour of Europe with the AIS-AFL Academy - coupled with his Queensland U18 commitments - meant that Michael only played with Redland towards the end of the 2011 season, but still proved a key member of their reserves Premiership side.

• He also gained some valuable senior NEAFL experience with the Bombers - earning a Rising Star nomination for his efforts in Round 19 against Mt Gravatt. His game against the Vultures replicated his best afield effort for the Scorpions in their breakthrough win over the NT Thunder in the U18 Championships

• Michael ended up polling a total of 10 votes in the NEAFL Rising Star Award, to finish equal 7th overall.

sammichael.jpg

Looks like he is known as 'Horse'.

Redland Bombers website

Redland's Sam Michael has been drafted to the Brisbane Lions with pick 96 in todays rookie draft with a zone selection draft pick.

Michael, a 196cm versatile tall, has played with the Bombers for the last two seasons since relocating from Cairns as part of Redlands scholarship scheme with Faith Lutheran College.

After 11 senior games and a reserves premiership, the ruckman finally found his spot onto an AFL list with the last selection in todays rookie draft.

A cult figure around the club, the "Horse" has already been training with the Lions for the last two weeks and will look to gain valuable experience with the Brisbane Lions reserves in 2012 in the hope of being elevated to the Lions senior list.

From everybody at Redlands, we congratulate Sam on a wonderful and disciplined effort to put himself in such a position.

Congratulations Horse!

Re: Sam 'The Horse' Michael

Sam Michael's AIS Tour Diary 1
Melbourne
Saturday 16 April
Guys flew in from all over the country to be presented with their Australian jumpers at Etihad Stadium on Thursday night and to play a practice match at the ‘G’ on Friday against the Geelong VFL side before the Richmond and Collingwood game. On Thursday we trained in the morning and had a few group sessions before heading to Etihad Stadium to receive our national team jumpers. AFL players Brendan Goddard and Brady Rawlings, who was a member of the first ever AIS-AFL Academy, were there and Brendan presented me with my jumper.

The game on Friday night will be one I will never forget. Running out onto the MCG in my Australian jumper with my team mates was an amazing feeling. Although I was sick with food poisoning and only got to play about 20 minutes of footy, even sitting on the bench soaking up the atmosphere was awesome. The MCG is just the perfect arena to play footy. In the time I did play, I got to play at centre half back on Mark Blake. It was a great experience to be able to play on someone who has played footy at the highest level.

Sam Michael's AIS Tour Diary 2
London
Sunday 24 April

On Monday we headed to the AC Milan training base, which is definitely the highlight of the trip so far. It was amazing to get inside a professional soccer club and see how they do things, especially when most fans will never be lucky enough to get the chance. They are pretty strict on who they let in so it was awesome to be given the opportunity.

Next we flew to London to play the European Legion team. We had dinner with them the night before and it was pretty cool to hear about their passion for footy when for them, the game against us was their first ever 18-a-side match. They usually only have enough players for 12-a-side. We also got to explain to them what footy was like in Australia. I was happy I got to play a full game, after being sick in Melbourne, and although we beat them pretty convincingly, 183 – 12, they were just happy to get the chance to play a proper game.

sammichael.jpg

Video: Lions Welcome New Rookies

Dean Warren - "We picked up two outstanding young Queenslanders. One, young Sam Michael, who is 199cm and 95kgs. Key forward and can play in the ruck as well. So we're very pleased to have Sam. He's a very professional young player that hopefully will really develop over the coming years."

Sam Michael - "Just a massive relief was probably the first thing I felt. I'm obviously really excited to get stuck into training and just amongst the Lions boys, and give 2012 a real big crack."

sammichael.jpg

U16 Premiers 2009 - Cairns Hawks

The U16 Cairns Hawks team defeated the Pyramid Power team. Final Score Cairns Hawks 17.13 (115) Def Pyramid Power to 6.5 (41)

The Bob Shaw medal (Best on Ground) was awarded to Sam Michael Cairns Hawks.

sammichael.jpg

SCORPIONS SIDE NAMED FOR 2011
By Peter Blucher
NEAFL Record Round 2

Seven members of the 2010 Australia Post Queensland Scorpions side were named this week in a 27-man squad for the 2011 NAB Australian U18 championships campaign. The group, chosen from a squad of 100+ players that underwent a five-month high performance pre-season training program combining strength, fitness, core stability, speed and skills training, will tackle three games against TAC Cup opposition and five championship games.

Backing up from last year will be Josh Kolka, Aaron Laskey, Sam Michael, Adam Oxley, Jackson Rolfe, Dalton Tucker and Peter Yagmoor. In extending the squad beyond the original 25 the selectors took into account the fact that Michael, Brian Coleman-Broom and Alex Sexton will leave shortly for an AIS/AFL Academy of Europe that will see them miss the early part of the Scorpions campaign.

GOOD DAY FOR THE SCORPIONS AT METRICON
NEAFL Record Round 14

Queensland football enjoyed a fine day at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast last Saturday, with two outstanding wins over
the Northern Territory in the NAB Australian U16 and U18 Championships.
Michael, nominated as his side’s best by coach David Ashkar, had struggled with injury since returning from the Academy tour
to Europe playing as a key defender.
But after starting in the ruck he pushed forward in a dominant performance, relishing the extra freedom and the opportunity to
use his athleticism and competitiveness.
From Cairns, Michael had 17 possessions, 10 marks and 14 hit-outs and was one of five Queenslanders to kick two goals.

Michael makes it to the Lions
15 December, 2011 1:05PM AEST

"I always had in the back of my mind that I still had the rookie draft and that second chance," he said. "The good thing was about two days after the national draft I was invited to train with the Brisbane Lions.
"It gave me an opportunity to try and prove myself to them that I had what it takes to make AFL and you know, I guess that took a bit of the edge of missing out on the national draft.
"I just had to focus on training well and proving myself to the Lions."

6507727103_fe9eea1e88.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back