Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also don't forget a "12 month" injury lay off takes into account the actual length of the league season. It doesn't mean exactly 12 months from time of injury until first match back.

Most people whether elite athletes or average joe's can return to contact sports around 10 months barring any hiccups with rehab. Any surgeon will state 12 months immediately as a general rule but they want you up and about as quick as possible. The longest part of the entire process is reconditioning your hamstring (where they took the graft from) and stretching the "new" ACL. The timeframe also gives an opportunity for your body to adjust and any weird stuff to surface and be dealt with.

I had to have an arthroscope 10 months into my rehab because a small part of my original ACL was still attached and kept getting caught between the knee joint causing pain and swelling. At that stage I had started playing A grade field hockey again (with surgeon approval). Sure its not a contact sport but by god its fast and stresses the knees and ankles.

Anyway I think (hope and pray really) that Scharenberg will feature in at least one nab match. If he is doing full contact match drills now the club is obviously pretty happy with where he is at and will be wanting to put him out there. I would think he may only come on for a cameo but it would be huge for him and the club.

Anyway I think (hope and pray really) that Scharenberg will feature in at least one nab match. If he is doing full contact match drills now the club is obviously pretty happy with where he is at and will be wanting to put him out there. I would think he may only come on for a cameo but it would be huge for him and the club.

I think that is unlikely...

I'd settle for a half of a VFL practise match to be honest.

It's a bit of a two edged sword with Scharenberg at the moment. So good to hear his recovery has gone so well and he is ahead of the pace while thinking at the same time please be careful with this kid and don't rush him.

At the end of the day I can't believe the club would be anything other that appropriately cautious. So if the docs and fitness staff say he is ready it will be a buzz to see him back in the action

It's a bit of a two edged sword with Scharenberg at the moment. So good to hear his recovery has gone so well and he is ahead of the pace while thinking at the same time please be careful with this kid and don't rush him.

At the end of the day I can't believe the club would be anything other that appropriately cautious. So if the docs and fitness staff say he is ready it will be a buzz to see him back in the action

Could you imagine them okaying him for nab cup and in his first change of direction at match pace he does it again...

I hope they give it more time even if medically he is A ok!

Could you imagine them okaying him for nab cup and in his first change of direction at match pace he does it again...

I hope they give it more time even if medically he is A ok!
Yeah I can't see it at the moment. Just want a cautious approach

I doubt we'd be seeing him in any televised match. It will be a low key vfl practice match if anything.

Expect his first half dozen games back to be pretty ordinary with the main aim geting through the game and restoring his confidence.

I've got full confidence that the club will make the right decision about when, where and how he'll play in his first comeback game. they'll manage his workload and fitness, as they have, ease him back into full contact, which they are and once satisfied start getting some match fitness under his belt. Whether that be in a NAB cup, VFL or AFL it'll be decided I think by where he is in his program.

He's no different to anyone else undergoing or have undergone ACL recovery. his program will be developed around his age, experience, fitness and strength levels and when he ticks all the boxes he plays.

We could give him another 12 months off and he could still do his ACL in his return match.

He's a first round pick, who suffered an ACL injury undergoing a recovery program getting ready to play AFL - let's not over complicate it.

Article in The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...return-ahead-of-schedule-20150219-13iy2t.html

The part I found most interesting was when they described the injury:

The knee injury was a clean tear of the anterior cruciate ligament with no trauma to the surrounding joint and tendons. That meant it was a cleaner reconstruction than is normally the case.
It seems this is a major factor in why his rehab has been going so well. Clean tear, no other trauma, combined with no hamstring issues.

Getting really excited about the possibility of him debuting this year. I thought he would be playing VFL till 2016 for all money when he went down last year.

Article in The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...return-ahead-of-schedule-20150219-13iy2t.html

The part I found most interesting was when they described the injury:

It seems this is a major factor in why his rehab has been going so well. Clean tear, no other trauma, combined with no hamstring issues.

Getting really excited about the possibility of him debuting this year. I thought he would be playing VFL till 2016 for all money when he went down last year.
The hamstring issues come
AFTER they've operated. They take a tendon out of the hamstring (which never grows back) to make the graft for the new ACL. It's the reason why players get hammy trouble when they get back on the field, this can usually affect the calf like Luke Ball or just the hammy like Toovey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFTER they've operated. They take a tendon out of the hamstring (which never grows back) to make the graft for the new ACL. It's the reason why players get hammy trouble when they get back on the field, this can usually affect the calf like Luke Ball or just the hammy like Toovey.

Toovey and Ball both a lot older than Scharenburg. Lots of older players get calf and hammy issues regardless of whether they have done an ACL. Theres a reason the calf strain is called the old man injury.

The good news is staring you in the face yet you continue to talk doom and gloom.

And yes, surprise surprise, hes not playing this week.

I'm well aware of when the hamstring issues occur thanks, and frankly, I'm pretty sure I've already demonstrated a far greater understanding of how the surgery and subsequent rehab works than you have, Mr 9 months before full training.
The point is, he hadn't had any resulting issues as yet (unlike Caff), and as a result he is well ahead of schedule.

That's a really positive slant on Sharenbergs injury. I have been cautious 're his role this season but reckon this news opens the possibility he may have a senior 22 role in 2015.

Do you bulk bill?

It would be the height of idiocy to rush a kid that realistically won't have any impact on his return and more than likely isn't even a senior player at this point. Be conservative and lose nothing. There is nothing to be gained by him playing early.

It would be the height of idiocy to rush a kid that realistically won't have any impact on his return and more than likely isn't even a senior player at this point. Be conservative and lose nothing. There is nothing to be gained by him playing early.

He will play when the medical staff determine he is ready. There is no chance his health will be risked by rushing his recovery.

It appears to be on the lower end as far as ACL's go with no damage to other parts of the knee, but I would caution those talking up a 2015 senior debut... still has a long way to go and still has to prove he can perform at this level.

I'm still expecting for him to play 75% of the year in the VFL with a few weeks off for soreness/general issues

Yep no chance.. not like that ever happens at the club

I assume you are making yet another reference to Ball. Completely different contexts but hey, why let that get in the way of a good story?

I'm well aware of when the hamstring issues occur thanks, and frankly, I'm pretty sure I've already demonstrated a far greater understanding of how the surgery and subsequent rehab works than you have, Mr 9 months before full training.
The point is, he hadn't had any resulting issues as yet (unlike Caff), and as a result he is well ahead of schedule.
There is no such thing as being ahead of schedule when it comes to an ACL. It can go again at any time, they say it actually takes 2 whole years in you're in the clear
from re damaging it. If you look at statastics of reoccurring ACL reputures. Being confident is great but you can never be assured untill he is back and has a few solid seasons under his belt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back