Scott Clayton - staying or going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Dry Rot
Doesn't his contract end with this draft?

Has he re-signed with us?

Anyone know what is happening with him?
I think he is contracted to the end of the year but I am not aware if he is staying or going.
The Hawks and other must be interested but I like our chances of keeping him

My hope is that due to the fact he lay the foundation for a strong Brisbane team but missed out on all the premiership glory, if he has faith in our young players, he may stick around to reap the rewards in the coming years.

If he does leave, however, he will have given us 4 strong years in the draft, along with picks 1 & 4 this year, and I would wish him the best for the future.

I have a belief that recruiting managers should not stay at a club long term and I think Clayton will be happy to sign up for another two years and then assess the situation at the end of 2005.
He could also be looking to move into other area's of the club.

Originally posted by Dry Rot
Doesn't his contract end with this draft?

Has he re-signed with us?

Anyone know what is happening with him?

I wished he came with Nathan Brown, I voted to lock our recruiting "guru" Beck up during the U18 carnival, he's like a kid with a loaded gun with draft choices in hand

So he is definitely out of contract? If so I want Hawthorn to throw the kitchen sink at him, we have to be aggressive in getting a good recruiting manager.

But I bet we go for one of Schwab's buddies instead.

I dare say the Crows will have a good talk.

Have to make every effort to keep him for another two years remember he was at Brisbane for 8 years and look at them now.

On another matter, now that Judas has left do we have any Kleiman draftees left on the list? I can't think of any.

Originally posted by SCRAY72
Have to make every effort to keep him for another two years remember he was at Brisbane for 8 years and look at them now.

On another matter, now that Judas has left do we have any Kleiman draftees left on the list? I can't think of any.

Brad Johnson

Luke Darcy under father/son rule

Paul Dimmatina in pre season draft

Matthew Robbins and Simon Garlick were traded into the club.

--------------------------------------

PLayers still on the list brought to us from recrutiing staff prior to the evil one are

Chris Grant, Matthew Croft, Scott West, Rohan Smith

Originally posted by The Doctor
Brad Johnson

Luke Darcy under father/son rule

Paul Dimmatina in pre season draft

Matthew Robbins and Simon Garlick were traded into the club.

--------------------------------------

PLayers still on the list brought to us from recrutiing staff prior to the evil one are

Chris Grant, Matthew Croft, Scott West, Rohan Smith

Brad Johnson was picked up at about 11, and a few players picked ahead of him didn't make it so we are fortunate to get him.

Darce, would have got him regardless of who was doing the recruiting.

Gave up too much for Robbins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CC is the biggest asset we have in our Football department.

Offer him life membership to stay I say!

In regards to the assistant coach, I would like to see us get someone who has Park'os or Lethals experience under him!

O'donnell?

Kleiman as much as anyone is responsable for our current position
He was an utter failure as a recruiting officer.
I can only remember one worse judge of talent at the club in recent years and thats Wallace.
Neither of these 2 had any idea how to build a successful side.

For interest this is the current player list and where they have come from including a few that have since gone.
I'm missing Scott West, bubba and someone else who slips my mind for the moment, can't find where they came from.
Pretty good trading apart from garlic for simon black, but hey sydney traded him to brisbane for simon hawking and brent green in 97 I think.

Just as an interesting stat 28 of the current list have been at the club for 4 or less years, not including our new list of veale, koops, morgan, street plus rawlings ? and also not including the delisting we know of Nick Bruton,Brent Colbert,Marcus Picken. (about even anyway)

Alvey and brown both longer than 4 years.

Scott Clayton has been at the dogs for five years and at Brisbane for eight years before that, I think given brisbanes success you'd keep him going.

Player Draft yr and type Pick or/and trade
Tim Walsh (2002)-National 4
Cameron Faulkner (2002)-National Traded by St Kilda for Luke Penny, draft selection 17
Will Minson (2002)-National 20
Brad Murphy (2002)-National 33
Scott Bassett Draft (2002)-National Scott Bassett Draft choice 35 traded by Hawthorn for Kingsley Hunter
Cameron Wight (2002)-National 49
Nicholas Bruton (2001)-Pre-Season 7
Sam Power (2001)-National 10
Kieran McGuinness (2001)-National 42
Brent Colbert (2001)-National 57
Brian Harris (2001)-National 71
Daniel Bandy (2001)-National Traded by Fremantle for Craig Ellis, draft selection 26 (Aaron Rogers)
Marcus Picken (2001)-National Traded by Brisbane for draft selection 49 (Josh Houlihan)
Jordon McMahon (2000)-National 10
Shane Birss (2000)-National 26
Daniel Cross (2000)-National 56
Wayde Skipper (2000)-National 70
Ben Harrison (2000)-National Traded by Richmond for draft selection 41 (Andrew J. Krakouer)
Robert Murphy (1999)-National 13
Danny Giansiracusa (1999)-National 32 (Draft choice 32 traded by Brisbane for Michael Martin)
Patrick Wiggins (1999)-National 35 (Draft choice 35 traded by Melbourne for Stephen Powell)
Mitchell Hahn (1999)-National 37 (Draft choice 37 traded by Richmond for Leon Cameron)
Lindsay Gilbee (1999)-National 43
Patrick Bowden (1999)-National 58
Ryan Hargrave (1999)-National 66 (Draft choice 66 traded by Richmond for Leon Cameron)
Nathan Eagleton (1999)-National Traded by Western Bulldogs for Brett Montgomery, draft selection 28 (Brent Guerra)
Mark Alvey (1997)-National 18 (Draft choice 18 traded by Fremantle for Daniel Hargraves)
Simon Garlick (1997)-National Traded by Sydney for draft selection 31 (Simon Black)
Matthew Robbins (1997)-National Traded by Geelong for draft selection 15 (Joel McKay), draft selection 38 (James Rahilly)
Nathan G. Brown (1996)-National 10
Paul Dimattina (1995)-Pre-Season 26
Brad Johnson (1993)-National 11
Luke Darcy (1992)-National Father-Son
Matthew Croft (1989)-National 2
Chris Grant (1988)-National 105

Originally posted by blah..blah
For interest this is the current player list and where they have come from including a few that have since gone.
I'm missing Scott West, bubba and someone else who slips my mind for the moment,

Mate thats a brilliant job to list our players on waht they cost us in draft selections. Good work.

Given that you have listed other players who have been delisted-Bruton, Picken-I am assumming the player you have missed is Steve Kretiuk and he was a local zone selection from St Albans. Rohan Smith was also a local zone selection from Kingsville. Scott West I believe was the last player we ever picked up as a local zone selection and was from Keilor or Essendon Grammer I cant remember.

I think these local zones allowed clubs to pick up a set number players from their old local areas for a few years after the introduction of the draft and were discontineud in 1991 or 1992.

Originally posted by localyokel
I am assumming the player you have missed is Steve Kretiuk and he was a local zone selection from St Albans. Rohan Smith was also a local zone selection from Kingsville. Scott West I believe was the last player we ever picked up as a local zone selection and was from Keilor or Essendon Grammer I cant remember.

I think these local zones allowed clubs to pick up a set number players from their old local areas for a few years after the introduction of the draft and were discontineud in 1991 or 1992.

Argh yes kreters he leaves and is instantly forgotten, sorry old chap.
The timing is about right on westy and co and would explain why I can't find anything.

Today's Herald Sun, Scott Plamer:

"Bulldog recruiting manager Scott Clayton has greatly enhanced his reputation with his successes in the trading period and has other clubs - four I'm reliably told - looking closely at him. The former Fitzroy star and Brisbane Lions football manager falls out of contract after this year's national draft and should be one of the key personell the Bulldogs rush to sign. I suspect that if they're tardy, Clayton will be offered an elevated post at another club on the rise."

For anyone who doubts how important Clayton's signature is, all I'll say is this:

Talent on your list is the #1 factor in determining how successful the team is.

The draft is the #1 factor in determining the talent on your list.

The chief recruiter has the most influence on how successful your drafting is.

Therefore: In this day and age where the only avenue for players to get onto a senior list is the draft, the quality of your recruiting manager has a massive influence on your premiership hopes.

At the moment, we've got one of the top 5 recruiters in the country - whether he's first, fifth or anywhere in between is up to debate, but he's right up there as one of the best in his field and having someone of that quality at the club is a major asset - the club has to do everything within it's power to hold on to him, because if we lose him and end up appointing a dud in his place, we can kiss any chance this club ever had of winning a flag goodbye.

Originally posted by Westy_Boy
For anyone who doubts how important Clayton's signature is, all I'll say is this:

Talent on your list is the #1 factor in determining how successful the team is.

The draft is the #1 factor in determining the talent on your list.

The chief recruiter has the most influence on how successful your drafting is.

Therefore: In this day and age where the only avenue for players to get onto a senior list is the draft, the quality of your recruiting manager has a massive influence on your premiership hopes.

At the moment, we've got one of the top 5 recruiters in the country - whether he's first, fifth or anywhere in between is up to debate, but he's right up there as one of the best in his field and having someone of that quality at the club is a major asset - the club has to do everything within it's power to hold on to him, because if we lose him and end up appointing a dud in his place, we can kiss any chance this club ever had of winning a flag goodbye.

Agree that Clayton is a main contributor to the club and if we sign him for the next 2 or 3 years then it wil be a positive step for the club. I would suggest that we have a very good chance of doing it

Originally posted by OldSchool
Agree that Clayton is a main contributor to the club and if we sign him for the next 2 or 3 years then it wil be a positive step for the club. I would suggest that we have a very good chance of doing it

I would hope that you are right OldSchool.

If Scott Clayton left, knowing our luck we'd probably end up with a Mark Kleiman clone:(

Originally posted by OldSchool

He's the most experienced football person we have at the club. Considering the bulldogs can't attract any players (even Beaumont refused to join us) the only way is the draft. In terms of talent identification and list management, he is crucial to the club given the inexperience of Rhode et al.

Originally posted by HK_Bulldog
He's the most experienced football person we have at the club. Considering the bulldogs can't attract any players (even Beaumont refused to join us) the only way is the draft.

When did Beaumont refuse to join us? Which proposed trade was that part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back