GDFL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading into the week off what are people surprised about mostly? Thomsons unbeaten start? East Geelong sitting at 3-3? Inverleigh had a shocking start and Bph there again but how about north Geelong and anakie. Anything different there than previous years?

Hard to see anyone beating thompson ,unless Forbs gets injured,Hill still looking strong without jovana ,Joel Page has given them a different edge.
Anakie and Nth biggest improvers ,werribee banno middle of the road, Belmont will improve. East are a hard one but guess time will tell
,still top 4ish.
Iverleigh look in trouble though injury's not helping ,West looking better if they can string 4 quarters together who knows.
Corio young kids doing well , Winch gonna be a long year sorry boys

Hard to see anyone beating thompson ,unless Forbs gets injured,Hill still looking strong without jovana ,Joel Page has given them a different edge.
Anakie and Nth biggest improvers ,werribee banno middle of the road, Belmont will improve. East are a hard one but guess time will tell
,still top 4ish.
Iverleigh look in trouble though injury's not helping ,West looking better if they can string 4 quarters together who knows.

On what basis do you think Belmont will improve? They've been pretty disappointing so far and it's hard to see where the improvement will come from.

On what basis do you think Belmont will improve? They've been pretty disappointing so far and it's hard to see where the improvement will come from.

I just think they are a better side than they have been playing, tough draw at the start , they have to find more goal kickers other than Canavan and i think they will improve as the season goes on. It's funny how a win can change the moral of a side.

I just think they are a better side than they have been playing, tough draw at the start , they have to find more goal kickers other than Canavan and i think they will improve as the season goes on. It's funny how a win can change the moral of a side.

How was Peggy been going out there?

,still top 4ish.

Think we'l see improvements from weribee with the new guys jelling a bit more as a team, east should definantly still remain too 3-4. North and anakie's task will be if they can keep it up all year and not drop off. Have both played well so far but it's a long season. Thomson are definantly the team to beat from the results so far

Belmont tough draw? They have played Inver corio and west in there first 6 games. They only have 1 win. I spoke to some people from Belmont and they where pushing for 5th spot. I watched werribee once it was against east which they played s**t I still think they lack leg speed which will hurt if they make it to st.albans

Paul price was the coach

interesting read in the addy about suspensions on players that were no shows for interleague.

when the selection system is flawed, they shouldnt bitch about the result.

providing a list to clubs about required players is not enough input in my opinion. i know that centrals were asked to provide certain players after the WC v east game, some of who didnt even play on the day - asking for Chugg and Lovell, when Phil Jones has been the standout all year.

Chugg and Lovell are great players, but age should be taken into consideration... see Tyquins performance as proof of it.

Clubs should be asked to nominate *available* players and submit up to 6 names, then the selection should process should start from there. that way any players being managed through the year due to age or injury are not relied upon, and the people who have the best knowledge about merit are involved from the start.
I would question whether Paul Price knows what Phil Jones looks like.

interesting read in the addy about suspensions on players that were no shows for interleague.

providing a list to clubs about required players is not enough input in my opinion. i know that centrals were asked to provide certain players after the WC v east game, some of who didnt even play on the day - asking for Chugg and Lovell, when Phil Jones has been the standout all year.

Chugg and Lovell are great players, but age should be taken into consideration... see Tyquins performance as proof of it.

Clubs should be asked to nominate *available* players and submit up to 6 names, then the selection should process should start from there. that way any players being managed through the year due to age or injury are not relied upon, and the people who have the best knowledge about merit are involved from the start.
All coaches were called to a meeting on april 4 and asked for their input and select there players to be put forward for the initial interleague squad,4 clubs did this,bph corio anakie and gwcfc, the clubs and coaches had there chance and didnt take it,so i think i and the league have every right to choose from clubs who we see as there better players, remember we had to select the squad after round 2 thats why we invited the coaches to do the selecting.

Bizza the league asked the clubs for players names that wanted to play interleague. The big problem i think is our better players in the comp are over 25's. When we only have 1 week off for the year they would like the rest. Interleague training is on wednesday night add that to your clubs tuesday and thursday its a big committment.

I've never understood the nomination thing. Because you think you would nominate a dozen blokes in your side and if so why do some teams get 1 and others 6?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously can't believe anyone thinks that it's there choice to say if they play interleague or not, if you are asked or selected to train then you must attend. It's about time the league got hard on these players that think they can decide if they want to play or not play interleague. There happy to take money off The clubs week in week out but can't or won't represent the league. Well done to the league for finally standing up and saying from now on if you don't play when selected your suspended for two weeks atleast these guys will get hurt we're it matters the most to them in the hip pocket. there's no excuse good enough not play interleague and I'll gladly fight this out with anyone. It's a joke that our three best forwards didn't play on the weekend and they weren't the only ones.

Bizza the league asked the clubs for players names that wanted to play interleague. The big problem i think is our better players in the comp are over 25's. When we only have 1 week off for the year they would like the rest. Interleague training is on wednesday night add that to your clubs tuesday and thursday its a big committment.

no arguement from me there, given our side provided 7 players (could have been 8 with Fursland being sore) and training facilities, I am all for interleague as a concept, but the VCFL/AFL should have set aside a weekend later in the year to get better representation from the leagues based on form, not reputation.

And i wasnt having a dig at Paul Price, he can only work with what he has got, but the suggestion that only four clubs provided input is crap, the other 8 coaches dont have phones?? I know for a fact phil Jones name was put up, and he wasnt invited to train.

I seriously can't believe anyone thinks that it's there choice to say if they play interleague or not, if you are asked or selected to train then you must attend. It's about time the league got hard on these players that think they can decide if they want to play or not play interleague. There happy to take money off The clubs week in week out but can't or won't represent the league. Well done to the league for finally standing up and saying from now on if you don't play when selected your suspended for two weeks atleast these guys will get hurt we're it matters the most to them in the hip pocket. there's no excuse good enough not play interleague and I'll gladly fight this out with anyone. It's a joke that our three best forwards didn't play on the weekend and they weren't the only ones.

Dont get me wrong, I know interleague is and should be an honour, but when guys bust their gut all pre season the last thing they want is to play a game that has no real benefit other than putting your name out there as a top footballer. Some guys actually play to win a flag and if thats their priority so be it. They may feel as though the week off will help them towards the pointy end of the season. After all its a team sport and winning flags is and should be every players goal!! So in my opinion its should be up to the players to decide whether interleague is a priority at whatever stage of their careers they are at.

No one should be forced to play interleague if they don't want to. You will probably find that the players who made themselves unavailable are blokes who have represented the league in the past and found the whole experience rather unrewarding. If representing the league such a big deal and hight priority then maybe players should be paid. The thought of getting on a bus a travelling up to woop woop with a bunch a blokes you are barely know doesn't sound like great idea to some.

No one should be forced to play interleague if they don't want to. You will probably find that the players who made themselves unavailable are blokes who have represented the league in the past and found the whole experience rather unrewarding. If representing the league such a big deal and hight priority then maybe players should be paid. The thought of getting on a bus a travelling up to woop woop with a bunch a blokes you are barely know doesn't sound like great idea to some.

maybe we should have the premiers play off for the interleague. a scheduled bye for the team finishing last the same weekend. that way we all get to keep playing.

anyway - tips for the round?

only one stand out game in my opinion, with North winning a close one for me.

if any upsets in the other games, the favoured teams would have some hard questions to answer about where their season is headed.

About the money again. What a joke if players think there that good go play gfl oh yeah they won't get paid. Its Pathetic the way players they deserve money sometimes what ever happened too playing for the love off the game. There's not one player that would do a quater off the work a committee member does and without them no one would have a team let alone club so maybe people should think about that. A coach puts alot off hrs in and that's abit it.

About the money again. What a joke if players think there that good go play gfl oh yeah they won't get paid. Its Pathetic the way players they deserve money sometimes what ever happened too playing for the love off the game. There's not one player that would do a quater off the work a committee member does and without them no one would have a team let alone club so maybe people should think about that. A coach puts alot off hrs in and that's abit it.

Such a generalisation! BPH have players who do not get paid on the committee as I am sure other clubs do. You shouldn't reflect your own clubs misgivings on every other player / club.
Interleague is a big commitment when you have kids, work etc so you cant make someone play. Why would they play?
Why not do what the AFL do for the Gaelic games, every player ticks a box to say wether they want to be available for selection come that time of year. It ensures a committed squad and enough ppl would say yes to be competitive.
It did seem like some clubs like BPH did the rightthing by the league when others clubs looked after themselves however, I agree

Nearly half way through the season and Thomson still sit undefeated on top of the ladder, infront all day yestday against north with a 3rd quarter setting up the win. Will be hard to knock them off the perch. Interesting to see comments from former bph legend now anakie coach saying bph arent as good as previous years in the paper and then losing to them by 40 or so at home, stirring the pot maybe more so disrespectful from where i stand. Log jam of teams sitting 5-3 and finals could feature any of them but surely east Geelong and weribee seem to be chugging along nicely after shaky starts and look to be amongst it come finals time. Thoughts ?

I cant give you the club that will be premeirs brods but i can garantee you one thing mate. west will be dead last again on 0 wins and a percentage of about %3
A

And what a w***er you are Matt Trethown, doesn't take much to find out who the parrott's behind all the bagging of blue west was.
Was a great day yesterday went down and watch a young cheetah's side on past players day ,and look very good and the future is looking positive, credit to all those involved.
As for you mate I wouldn't be showing my face around the club anymore, hahaha goal kicking machine from lara hey don't mind writing post on yourself do ya T-bird

A

And what a Moo you are Matt Trethown, doesn't take much to find out who the parrott's behind all the bagging of blue west was.
Was a great day yesterday went down and watch a young cheetah's side on past players day ,and look very good and the future is looking positive, credit to all those involved.
As for you mate I wouldn't be showing my face around the club anymore, hahaha goal kicking machine from lara hey don't mind writing post on yourself do ya T-bird

Hahahaha Well said buddy

I think the final 5 may be sorted already, with the exception of 5th which i think will come down to the R17 clash between Anakie and WC.

anyone disagree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back