GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard Newtown had an even hard contested game against Warrnambool.

Any news on.

Colac
Grovedale
Leopold
South Barwon

grovedale beat a melbourne team i think Preston by 6 - 8 goals with both sides having a few players out so not much to gain from that i dont think

Tips for this week..

1/ Grovedale over St Marys by 6 goals
2/Bellpark over Lara by 14 goals
3/St Josephs over Colac by 6 goals
4/Newtown over South Barwon by 6 goals
5/Leopold over North Shore by 14 goals
6/St Albans over Geelong West by 2 goals

Tips for this week..

Pretty good predictions there....I wouldn't be far off thinking the same results too.

Pretty good predictions there....I wouldn't be far off thinking the same results too.

I thought as much,after I whooped your arse in the grand final week last year. ( 3 zip ) ;)
So how are things GullsFC?
It's been a long year waiting for the season opener..Bring on Saturday.
I'm looking forward to Joeys smashing Colac.

Last edited:
I thought as much,after I whooped your arse in the grand final week last year. ( 3 zip ) ;)
So how are things GullsFC?
It's been a long year waiting for the season opener..Bring on Saturday.
I'm looking forward to Joeys smashing Colac.
Hahahaha yeah you did pretty well with those predictions.
Things are good here mate, just eager to get all of the three local leagues underway and see if the pre-season has paid off.
I'm thinking Leopold will be the front runners with the additions to their list.

Tips for this week..

Newtown will have about 9-10 certain senior starters out this week with injuries. If they still beat South barwon with so many out, wait until they have everyone back

Newtown will have about 9-10 certain senior starters out this week with injuries. If they still beat South barwon with so many out, wait until they have everyone back

I couldn't imagine that any team would have 9 - 10 certain starters injured before the season has even started....surely not.

Last edited:
West Saints too good for St Albans. 9 point win to the Roosters.

Should be more night football.

So I learnt a few things over the weekend, Joeys are going to be very hard to beat if they ever get everyone playing. St Marys looked pretty ordinary under some good grovey pressure, also IMO the ruckmen beat Banjanin hands down from where i was sitting which surprised me. North shore by the looks will be competitive this year and I knew this one but Lara will absolutely stink it up and probably wont win a game. Also i want to know the names that newtown had out? sounded like a pre game excuse to lose against south barwon...joeys had 7 vfl players out imagine what they will do when they all play

So I learnt a few things over the weekend, Joeys are going to be very hard to beat if they ever get everyone playing. St Marys looked pretty ordinary under some good grovey pressure, also IMO the ruckmen beat Banjanin hands down from where i was sitting which surprised me. North shore by the looks will be competitive this year and I knew this one but Lara will absolutely stink it up and probably wont win a game. Also i want to know the names that newtown had out? sounded like a pre game excuse to lose against south barwon...joeys had 7 vfl players out imagine what they will do when they all play

St Josephs will win the granny...What a great coach.
Also looking forward to the tribunal results tonight.

Newtown have about 3-4 player missing from their best team but they wont make a difference based on Saturdays game against South Barwon.
I can't recall seeing a game of football as physically hard and aggressive as Saturday. I understand it's only round 1 but South Barwon were far more polished in general play and appeared to have a solid game plan. Newtown really struggled to get the ball inside 50. They had no clear target up forward and I think that really hurt them.

Also Peter Trompf (number 28 for Newtown) will be a talking point as the season goes on. Was involved in multiple dangerous/dirty hits and is sure to come under fire as other teams get wind of his 'playing style'.

In the reserves South Barwon appear to have little depth and this could be a problem especially as they had about 3 (what appeared to be serious) injuries.
McCann (number 55) for South Barwon dominated and will be playing senior for sure as the year goes on. Gun player.
Newtowns best players were Troop (number 61) across half back and Lewis (number 64) in the middle. Both showed alot of class and I think we be pushing for senior selection. Especially after their senior team perfromance.

Newtown have about 3-4 player missing from their best team but they wont make a difference based on Saturdays game against South Barwon.
I can't recall seeing a game of football as physically hard and aggressive as Saturday. I understand it's only round 1 but South Barwon were far more polished in general play and appeared to have a solid game plan. Newtown really struggled to get the ball inside 50. They had no clear target up forward and I think that really hurt them.

Also Peter Trompf (number 28 for Newtown) will be a talking point as the season goes on. Was involved in multiple dangerous/dirty hits and is sure to come under fire as other teams get wind of his 'playing style'.

In the reserves South Barwon appear to have little depth and this could be a problem especially as they had about 3 (what appeared to be serious) injuries.
McCann (number 55) for South Barwon dominated and will be playing senior for sure as the year goes on. Gun player.
Newtowns best players were Troop (number 61) across half back and Lewis (number 64) in the middle. Both showed alot of class and I think we be pushing for senior selection. Especially after their senior team perfromance.

Is this silly Billy writing this...talk about the pot calling the kettle black.:) how many likes can I get from this one.Hahaha

Also Reece Woods (number 3 for South Barwon) & Matthew Scarlett (number 4 for South Barwon)will be a talking point as the season goes on. They were involved in multiple dangerous/dirty hits and are sure to come
under fire as other teams get wind of their 'playing style'.

On a positive..Good to see Dan Roy playing good footy.Running out of packs and kicking goals.
And Danny Lovick for St Joeys on fire..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Mary's looked very poor on Saturday. Didn't register their first goal til early in the 3rd quarter and McPhee appeared to come off shortly afterwards with what looked like a hamstring. Aberfeldie looked stronger than previous years (Brock McLean one of the best) but SM would be far from satisfied with their final hit-out.
I find it ironic that u use a gumby to identify yourself, about right I'd say.

Is this silly Billy writing this...talk about the pot calling the kettle black.:) how many likes can I get from this one.Hahaha

Also Reece Woods (number 3 for South Barwon) & Matthew Scarlett (number 4 for South Barwon)will be a talking point as the season goes on. They were involved in multiple dangerous/dirty hits and are sure to come
under fire as other teams get wind of their 'playing style'.

On a positive..Good to see Dan Roy playing good footy.Running out of packs and kicking goals.
And Danny Lovick for St Joeys on fire..

Agreed, Reece Woods and Matt Scarlett were involved in similar incidents. Reece got hit by the karma bus in the last quarter and got a taste of his own medicine. Scarlett can at least play the game somewhat.

I wanted to keep my post postivite and about the footy as it was a fantastic game but I also think it is worth noting Trompf and how he goes about his footy. He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.

Agreed, Reece Woods and Matt Scarlett were involved in similar incidents. Reece got hit by the karma bus in the last quarter and got a taste of his own medicine. Scarlett can at least play the game somewhat.

I wanted to keep my post postivite and about the footy as it was a fantastic game but I also think it is worth noting Trompf and how he goes about his footy. He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.

He wouldn't be anymore of a blight on the GFL than the other 2...Ask Grovedale Leopold what they think of Scarlett..
Hahaha then again ask any team.Enough said if you delete your posts I'II delete mine.

He wouldn't be anymore of a blight on the GFL than the other 2...Ask Grovedale Leopold what they think of Scarlett..
Hahaha then again ask any team.Enough said if you delete your posts I'II delete mine.
Guess nothing has changed with trompf white line fever to the max broke a young kids jaw last yr in a behind play incident whilst playing for noosa only a matter of time to until he gets a ban or really hurts someone not good for footy and it's a weekly thing not a one of

Has Reece taking some tough pills in the last couple of years because the one l remember would jump out of the way of his own shadow

Newtown has 9 out.
Including the majority of there foward line who may not come back at all this year

Newtown has 9 out.
Including the majority of there foward line who may not come back at all this year

who are they? like are they significant outs? Grovedale on the weekend probably had 6 or 7 out, 2 certain starters but the other 4 or 5 are probably in the 15 - 25 category not so much walk up starters so its easy to say "9 out"

who are they? like are they significant outs? Grovedale on the weekend probably had 6 or 7 out, 2 certain starters but the other 4 or 5 are probably in the 15 - 25 category not so much walk up starters so its easy to say "9 out"

I won't tell you my relationship to Newtown, but at least 7 of these outs are 100% in the senior side if healthy. I other two would have been in the senior side last year, but new recruits may have pushed them out.

I won't tell you my relationship to Newtown, but at least 7 of these outs are 100% in the senior side if healthy. I other two would have been in the senior side last year, but new recruits may have pushed them out.

ok well jay bett and luke forbes are 2 that spring to mind obviously handy players. also if you watched who did hinkley play on? im surprised he didnt play on wells?

my tips this week

Joeys to beat grovey unfortunately by 2 goals
leopold to beat newtown by 4 goals
bell park to beat colac by 7 or 8 goals, colac too many guns out
south barwon by 3 goals over west (these 2 sides always seem to be closer then expected)
St Albans by 15 goals over Lara
St Marys by 6 goals over north shore

Luke Forbes, Jay Bett, Matthew Higgins (played 2s), Jordan Crerar (played 2s), Dan O'Keefe, Joel Corey just to name a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back