GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

god marys are bad!!!! Im predicting bottom 3

Marys may be bad but how about lara..
i have heard from a few sources out there how much they would touch up north shore and how everyone goes easy on them.
100 points. 100 points north shore has beaten lara. That club is a long long way back, poor guys

god marys are bad!!!! Im predicting bottom 3
Outrageous statement! The scores were level at half time and then they lost their full forward and centre half forward (Hughes and Hebbard) as well as a midfielder and were left with just one on the bench for the entire second half - on one of the biggest grounds in country Victoria, don't forget.

They'll do well to play finals this year but they're certainly not bottom three. 10 players under 21 against Colac on Saturday including 2 debutants. The reigning premiers were impressive and look like being up there again this year.

Outrageous statement! The scores were level at half time and then they lost their full forward and centre half forward (Hughes and Hebbard) as well as a midfielder and were left with just one on the bench for the entire second half - on one of the biggest grounds in country Victoria, don't forget.

They'll do well to play finals this year but they're certainly not bottom three. 10 players under 21 against Colac on Saturday including 2 debutants. The reigning premiers were impressive and look like being up there again this year.

Do any of their young guys actually look decent....

Have they finally switched on to the fact they have great juniors and they should promote them!! Thank god for that!! - just a shame they didn't realise this before they have handed out huge sign ons and match payments. If your after names
McPhee, Gillies, Garner, Tenace, Banjanin, Hughes. Throw in last year paying a fortune for Condy, Dobson, Grenville, Chisolm(who they were flying in fromQLD). This is the main reason a lot of their juniors are playing elsewhere. I notice not many juniors are leaving Leopold and Joeys - go figure!!

Have they finally switched on to the fact they have great juniors and they should promote them!! Thank god for that!! - just a shame they didn't realise this before they have handed out huge sign ons and match payments. If your after names
McPhee, Gillies, Garner, Tenace, Banjanin, Hughes. Throw in last year paying a fortune for Condy, Dobson, Grenville, Chisolm(who they were flying in fromQLD). This is the main reason a lot of their juniors are playing elsewhere. I notice not many juniors are leaving Leopold and Joeys - go figure!!
Most of those guys you mentioned (besides McPhee) have family/mates connections at the club, it's not like St Marys were the highest bidder. Chisolm was flying back regularly due to his studies anyway so it's not like they were plucking blokes from interstate out of thin air!

I'd be interested to know what former juniors you're referring to that are now playing elsewhere? I know they've lost some talented juniors over the past few years but it's hard to begrudge blokes who are seeking more of an opportunity.

Most of those guys you mentioned (besides McPhee) have family/mates connections at the club, it's not like St Marys were the highest bidder. Chisolm was flying back regularly due to his studies anyway so it's not like they were plucking blokes from interstate out of thin air!

I'd be interested to know what former juniors you're referring to that are now playing elsewhere? I know they've lost some talented juniors over the past few years but it's hard to begrudge blokes who are seeking more of an opportunity.

I'm looking from purely outside mate so u obviously have more knowledge than I do. I wasn't aware most of those players have links at club. I just get disillusioned at the fact your club wins the under 18 flag most years yet their is no direct pathway to senior footy. I guess your last statement backs me up a little "I know they've lost some talented juniors over the past few years but it's hard to begrudge blokes who are seeking more of an opportunity". Why is there no opportunity?? Not having a go - just interesting discussion points!!

I'm looking from purely outside mate so u obviously have more knowledge than I do. I wasn't aware most of those players have links at club. I just get disillusioned at the fact your club wins the under 18 flag most years yet their is no direct pathway to senior footy. I guess your last statement backs me up a little "I know they've lost some talented juniors over the past few years but it's hard to begrudge blokes who are seeking more of an opportunity". Why is there no opportunity?? Not having a go - just interesting discussion points!!
Very valid question mate. The handful of players who've moved on to other clubs/leagues were guys aged 20-22 who were handy reserves players and played <10 senior games but were suddenly getting overlooked by younger teammates, most of whom had experience playing with Geelong Falcons or spent the summer training with the VFL. Understandably, they moved to clubs where they're guaranteed to be in the best 22, where at St Mary's they were probably outside the top 30.

A good example is probably Daniel DeGois who moved to Queenscliff at about age 20 because he couldn't cement a spot in the seniors. Tim McLean was probably in his second last year at the time and had he waited another year or two the full forward position was probably DeGois'. He then went on to play in I think 3 premierships with coutas and obviously made a great decision but it can sometimes be difficult to give senior opportunities to young players when there are older, more established players available.

St Joseph's in a canter over Lara
Newtown to get its first win - but only just over North shore
Leopold to gain a little revenge by 5 goals
St Albans to beat St Mary's - yes you read that right!!
South Barwon to continue to be grovedales bogey side.
Bell park to grab the choccies over west

St Joseph's in a canter over Lara
Newtown to get its first win - but only just over North shore
Leopold to gain a little revenge by 5 goals
St Albans to beat St Mary's - yes you read that right!!
South Barwon to continue to be grovedales bogey side.
Bell park to grab the choccies over west

How do you know which game is commentated by the krock staff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like i said st marys terrible. McPhee was hopeless. think he had under 5 possessions for the game
You don't like St Mary's do you Urgot. Whilst we are on the subject of overrated, overpaid, underperforming players, (and I know he's bfl not gfl blah blah), Mc Phees stats actually look good against Damian "I don't play seconds" Zaparenkov's. Including no goals out of 21 kicked last week. He's slow and disinterested. I know now why he doesn't play two's, he wouldn't get a kick. And Kain Marsh left because of him, what a joke ur Zappa.

You don't like St Mary's do you Urgot. Whilst we are on the subject of overrated, overpaid, underperforming players, (and I know he's bfl not gfl blah blah), Mc Phees stats actually look good against Damian "I don't play seconds" Zaparenkov's. Including no goals out of 21 kicked last week. He's slow and disinterested. I know now why he doesn't play two's, he wouldn't get a kick. And Kain Marsh left because of him, what a joke ur Zappa.
st marys really struggling. they are spending quite a bit and have some good players, pretty emarrassing to be honest, not sure how anyone could spin it otherwise. surprised to see leopold lose. joeys only team to remain undefeated, are they now favourites?

I dont follow bfl, but surely you cant compare some no name to mcphee..... who the hell is zappa anyway?

im just going from what i reckon. Marys to finish bottom 3. Next 5 games only one to beat is lara....

That banjanin guy couldnt even beat the st albans ruckman on the weekend, didnt he play vfl?

Just players underperforming i think. Opinions?

St Albans completely outplayed St Marys on Saturday and adapted to the conditions far better. I agree, Banjanin had a bad day against his old club but he was best on ground 2 weeks ago. When Matthew Knights turned up at Geelong VFL he said Banjo was among the best ruckmen he'd seen and couldn't believe he never got drafted, so it's a bit unfair to write him off after watching one bad game.

St Marys are in huge strife I'm with you on that one, but as you said they're big names are underperforming. I disagree that they'll finish bottom 3, they'll finish above GWSP, North Shore and Lara, and once their new recruits begin to gel they should challenge Newtown, Bell Park and South Barwon. I'm very much looking forward to seeing St Joeys this weekend and whether they're the real deal.

St Albans completely outplayed St Marys on Saturday and adapted to the conditions far better. I agree, Banjanin had a bad day against his old club but he was best on ground 2 weeks ago. When Matthew Knights turned up at Geelong VFL he said Banjo was among the best ruckmen he'd seen and couldn't believe he never got drafted, so it's a bit unfair to write him off after watching one bad game.

St Marys are in huge strife I'm with you on that one, but as you said they're big names are underperforming. I disagree that they'll finish bottom 3, they'll finish above GWSP, North Shore and Lara, and once their new recruits begin to gel they should challenge Newtown, Bell Park and South Barwon. I'm very much looking forward to seeing St Joeys this weekend and whether they're the real deal.

I seen Round 1 and he got fairly well beaten by Ryan Abbott so i think when a player like Banjanin would be getting upwards of 700 or 800 per game ($1000 according to a couple of sources) he will be criticized heavily if not performing

I seen Round 1 and he got fairly well beaten by Ryan Abbott so i think when a player like Banjanin would be getting upwards of 700 or 800 per game ($1000 according to a couple of sources) he will be criticized heavily if not performing

wow 1000. If your getting that kind of money he should be kicking 4 goals and having over 40 possessions haha. at his rate he was getting 100 dollars per disposal.

To be honest mate you would have no idea and neither does anyone. You can't judge a bloke by how much you "heard" he's getting paid.
To stop all the talk about how much a player in any league gets paid per game, just do what Ammos do and give them a car instead eg Ben Lavars. Can't put that in a salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back