Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

God damn you self-centric Vics are bloody infuriating.. Woosha specifically said he has really enjoyed working with the Crows, and he'll review his plans with the Crows at the end of the season. Every single mouth-breathing Vic based journo how somehow interpreted this as Essendon a shoe-in for snagging Woosha for the head coaching gig next year.. It's been happening all year with the Dangerfield speculation and Adelaide's final chances too. Give us a break! :mad:

Mouth breathing. Or as they call it in Adelaide - 'breathing'

God damn you self-centric Vics are bloody infuriating.. Woosha specifically said he has really enjoyed working with the Crows, and he'll review his plans with the Crows at the end of the season. Every single mouth-breathing Vic based journo how somehow interpreted this as Essendon a shoe-in for snagging Woosha for the head coaching gig next year.. It's been happening all year with the Dangerfield speculation and Adelaide's final chances too. Give us a break! :mad:

I hope you're right.

Quality post is quality. 'Mouth breathing?' As opposed to 'Arse Breathin' in Adelaide? You can have Worsfold.

Worsfold? Don't think we should appoint a pharmacist as our next coach prior to November.

Or maybe we should and he 'all of a sudden' 'discovers' some 'legal peptide traces' in a bunch of 'used syringes'

And yet we're looking at a coach who resigned just under 2 years ago because he no longer had the energy to be a senior coach, under far less stressful circumstances than what he'll be walking in to at our club.

Our club needs a serious re-branding much like the Bulldogs have gone through this year. We need a fresh start. Not sure we can fully achieve that by hiring a recycled coach to be the figurehead of the club.

People can be reenergised. Same with Bomber. Was royalty at Geelong but grew tired of coaching. Last year he was enjoying it again.

The Bulldogs have a "rebranding" because they're winning. That's it. It's sport. Winning is the only thing that matters. It makes everything else look great.

I don't think we have the young talent they do so we won't be doing a Bulldogs.

I suppose the one good thing about Worsfold is that he knows how to cope under intense media scrutiny - the bubble over in WA is intense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People can be reenergised. Same with Bomber. Was royalty at Geelong but grew tired of coaching. Last year he was enjoying it again.

The Bulldogs have a "rebranding" because they're winning. That's it. It's sport. Winning is the only thing that matters. It makes everything else look great.

I don't think we have the young talent they do so we won't be doing a Bulldogs.
Also the new logo, new guernseys, increased membership, more stable football department - the Dogs basically feel like a new club this year, a lot of which has to do with their success on-field yes. Similar to Port a few years ago.

I want that. We may not have the exciting young list that the Dogs do (although we do have a nice group of talented youngsters) but we do have an opportunity to start fresh and rejuvenate the club as of next year in a similar fashion.

I find the prospect of Woosha distinctly underwhelming, for whatever reason.
For some reason, I find the prospect of any coach underwhelming. Not really as excited because of the uncertainty of the WADA thing. That and the possibility of a wooden spoon next year.

Do we go with Woosha, who probably won't stay long term (can't see him being anything but a quick fix), or do we go with an untried coach that could possibly be out of his depth given our situation?

Whenever I hear a coach say "I've rediscovered my passion for coaching" it basically translates in my head to "I've rediscovered my passion for having a very large salary"

Don't forget he went through a similarly tortuous saga that Hirdy went through, maybe not as bad but in a 2 team town it's amplified. Plus it was less 'his' fault.

Nobody would hold it against Hird if he wanted a few years off as a circuit breaker. It's same for him, just a circuit breaker , 2 years to clear decks and start again out of that town?

He said he spent more time in non football meetings than football meetings, I could see him needing an escape to 're invigorate?

I want us too advertise the job, see who applies, and choose a coach from the applicants, that is those who put their hand up to coach Essendon FC. None of this bs of delegations and board members meeting their preferred person and trying to convince them to take the job. If Woosha wanted to coach he would have applied for the Carlton job, better fit for him than Essendon.

Having said that, who applied for the blues job and missed out?

Don't forget he went through a similarly tortuous saga that Hirdy went through, maybe not as bad but in a 2 team town it's amplified. Plus it was less 'his' fault.

Nobody would hold it against Hird if he wanted a few years off as a circuit breaker. It's same for him, just a circuit breaker , 2 years to clear decks and start again out of that town?

He said he spent more time in non football meetings than football meetings, I could see him needing an escape to 're invigorate?

I was just speaking in general tbh, every coach would have their own unique circumstances and reasons.

My thoughts on 'Woosha', I'd rather have a young, hungry, unproven coach who has the passion and ambition to prove himself as a coach than some old bloke whose past achievements will buy him leniency in his new position (The Roos Effect)

I'm thinking the club will be thinking long term with a succession plan ala Paul Roos / Melb situation which isn't going well so far ...
...however, the idea with strategies like this is that the person to succeed the coach has the benefit of watching and taking note of what works and what doesn't, ways to speak with players and other coaches and how not to and so forth, and can put these learnings in context with whatever they've learned from other high achieving coaches as a player. Then when they take over, they're bringing a kind of hybrid skillset from more than one context of coaching/playing success. So while all may not be rosy at Melbourne now, Simon Goodwin will have worked with Bomber Thompson and Paul Roos, as well playing in two premierships under the tutelage of Malcolm Blight. He's bringing freshness to Melbourne when he starts as well. It's a win-win.

Carslise will love Worstfold, won't move him from down back ever ! John only ever had one move and when Hunter retired he never bothered to tinker with the team layout come game day again. He may get an instant improvement with moral and discipline but he is out coached too many times by opposition coaches willing to move players around.

Carslise will love Worstfold, won't move him from down back ever ! John only ever had one move and when Hunter retired he never bothered to tinker with the team layout come game day again. He may get an instant improvement with moral and discipline but he is out coached too many times by opposition coaches willing to move players around.

Remember that time he coached you a flag?

Sounds like Melksham would love Worsfold too.

...however, the idea with strategies like this is that the person to succeed the coach has the benefit of watching and taking note of what works and what doesn't, ways to speak with players and other coaches and how not to and so forth, and can put these learnings in context with whatever they've learned from other high achieving coaches as a player. Then when they take over, they're bringing a kind of hybrid skillset from more than one context of coaching/playing success. So while all may not be rosy at Melbourne now, Simon Goodwin will have worked with Bomber Thompson and Paul Roos, as well playing in two premierships under the tutelage of Malcolm Blight. He's bringing freshness to Melbourne when he starts as well. It's a win-win.
Exactly. Goodwin is well placed to make Melbourne a successful side again. The difference between the Melbourne situation and the Buckley situation is that Collingwood took Malthouse out at the top of his game. Goodwin will takeover a Melbourne side on the rise.

We are more in the situation of Melbourne than Collingwood, so it can work for us.

However, I just cannot see how Worsfold would choose Essendon over Adelaide.

I won't be happy if we chuck money at Worsfold to convince him. We need a coach that is 100% committed to rebuilding our side out of this mess, not a coach looking after his wallet. If that means we will go with an inexperienced coach, so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back