News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically, for an injury-prone OOC player who will be 29 next year, he wasn't worth much more than this (different story if he was 6-7 years younger) on face value, but we lose a handy cog in our forward line who we don't really have much of the same of. Gollant's really an undersized KPF more than a medium forward, so the best replacement we have is Cook who now has a big season ahead of him.

An uncontracted 29 year old forward that has never played a full season is somehow worth more?

Went from being a legend in your eyes to worthless, and all it took was a trade out.

The real kicker is how vocally we were puffing out our chest about "not without a player in return" just two days ago, when we knew this was going to happen. Like hauling up a banner that says "You already thought we were weak? Take a look at this"

Other clubs: we think you're weak

Us: Oh really, we'll show you just how weak we can be!

Let's not mince words. A F2 from a top four club is realistically the least compensation we could have expected to get.

We can understand how it happened without pretending that it's any kind of win. We would have been significantly better off keeping McAdam than losing him for a second round pick in 2024.

Now the task is to make the most of what little we got out of the trade.

Its largely nothing more of value than losing him for nothing. A small points upgrade.

For a best 22 player that we do not have a natural replacement for.

Let's not mince words. A F2 from a top four club is realistically the least compensation we could have expected to get.

We can understand how it happened without pretending that it's any kind of win. We would have been significantly better off keeping McAdam than losing him for a second round pick in 2024.

People are acting like we just lost a vital cog to our forward line, that we weren’t perfectly capable of scoring very freely without him for the majority of 2023. Our scoring wasn’t impacted when he missed in 2023, so why is it suddenly a problem in 2024?

People are acting like we just lost a vital cog to our forward line, that we weren’t perfectly capable of scoring very freely without him for the majority of 2023. Our scoring wasn’t impacted when he missed in 2023, so why is it suddenly a problem in 2024?

Is there any point posting your "opinions" at this point?

We can already work out what the club has done, and take it as a given that you support it uncritically at all times.

BACCS on McAdam before he requests a trade:

1697543523138.png

BACCS on McAdam after he gets traded:

"So what, he's old and no good. We don't need him and its fine we got nothing in return for him. Absolutely no loss".

Help Me Duck GIF by Nat Geo Wild
LOL BACCS

View attachment 1833773

Can you find anyone independent who thinks that?

It's frustrating, but nearly all coverage before the trade had us getting a third rounder.

Can you find anyone independent who thinks that?

It's frustrating, but nearly all coverage before the trade had us getting a third rounder.
That's pretty much what MELB's F2 is .....if MELB finish top 2, the pick is as good as a 3rd round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that I would have been happy to walk Shane to the pre-season draft. Even if it meat cutting hour nose to spite our face. I don't know what it may have costed us in good will with other future players, but hack, sometimes you need to make a stand.

I think that I would have been happy to walk Shane to the pre-season draft. Even if it meat cutting hour nose to spite our face. I don't know what it may have costed us in good will with other future players, but hack, sometimes you need to make a stand.
This is overhyped .....all Clubs are happy to bend over other Clubs ....self interest, rules

That's pretty much what MELB's F2 is .....if MELB finish top 2, the pick is as good as a 3rd round
And if everything falls apart?

There has to be a very reasonable chance that everything they're trying to hold together - with Oliver and Goodwin and Hunter and internal conflicts with May and starting the year with some injuries and aging pieces - could fall apart next year.

Maybe not, but they're not a rolled gold top four.

I think we'd just look stupid, because the external perception was that they'd made a very reasonable offer.

Last edited:
I think we'd just look stupid, because the external perception was that they'd made a very reasonable offer.
Maybe yes, Maybe no. But I think that it should be viewed more as what value he's to them. I think that he's worth more like an early second round. And, as I said, if we had refused the offer, it would have been like cutting our nose to spite our face. But I would have been just as happy to look stupid to whoever may have thought that.

Maybe yes, Maybe no. But I think that it should be viewed more as what value he's to them. I think that he's worth more like an early second round. And, as I said, if we had refused the offer, it would have been like cutting our nose to spite our face. But I would have been just as happy to look stupid to whoever may have thought that.
I would have been, if they were being asses about it. But they gave up about what he's worth, so it's hard to be too annoyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back