Shane Warne replicators, where are they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne timeline to start his career.

Debut 1992: 1/150 against India @SCG
0/78 in the 4th test
Overall figures for the series 1/228
Dropped for the 5th test.

Sri Lanka in Colombo
0/107
3/11 second innings

Basically if Warne had started his career these days he probably wouldnt get the opportunity to become the bowler he did as he would of gotten banished after the first test where he looked hopeless and got destroyed by Ravi Shastri.

I hear what you are saying, but it was obvious from Warne's debut he had a lot more to offer. All he did was bowl leg spinners, so he was predictable, but you couldn't help but marvel at the control he had. I was used to seeing leggies bowl some poop, but Warnie kept putting the ball on the spot.

Very difficult trade to bowl leg spin and even more difficult to do as a kid. Most leggies start as mediums and take it up once they reach seniors.
When you consider in 137 odd years of test cricket their has only probably been 10-15 great spin bowlers in that entire time just goes to show you how hard it is to bowl spin and become great at it.
Just off the top of my head I can only think of Warne, Benaud, Bill O'rielly, Abdul Qadir, Anil Kumble, maybe throw in MacGill but I don't rate him as a great.
There may be a couple I have missed but that just shows you how difficult it is and that the next one might be 20 odd years away. It is a highly gifted trade just as fast bowling is, you can't teach anyone to either of those trades great.

grimmett o'reilly benaud warne (mcgill). that is it, they dont come along very often, they wont come along very often.

I grew up copying Warnie's style in the backyard every afternoon. On Mum's turning wicket I thought I was pretty awesome too - I even once bowled my brother with a Gatting ball that ripped across him after pitching on the slight incline leading to the garden bed outside his legs. That ball was the single greatest moment of my backyard career.

Pitch assistance aside, I got pretty good with my control and thought I was pretty decent... until I started playing proper cricket on astroturf. I couldn't spin the ball for the life of me (except my wrong un), and the harder I tried the more I started to lose control of my line and length. I gave up pretty quick and switched to medium pace.

Nowadays I'm an opening bat and don't bowl at all, so from a batsman's perspective...

I'm playing in a pretty low grade at the moment after a lay-off of a few years, and it's the sort of grade where teams will bring on a spinner 1st or 2nd change. I love it - I'd absolutely prefer to face mediocre spinners than mediocre medium pacers. Their good balls aren't as dangerous and their bad balls are a lot, lot worse, and a lot easier to put away safely.

I'm sure decent spinners are hard to bat against, but I don't think I've ever faced one in my life.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back